• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boosting a werewolfs bluff skill (My players shouldn't read this)

Kroax

Explorer
Next session I'm throwinng my players a hit-and-run encounter with a werewolf. The combat will take place in a moderately dense forest, and if all goes right, he will run out from some trees, hit a pc with his spring attack, and run back and hide behind the trees again a couple of rounds.

The problem is, the only way he's going to hide in the middle of a combat is using the bluff skill to create a diversion to hide (PHB p. 64). But I think his bluff skill is still to low for that.

I would appreciate any help I can get with this encounter.

Here's his stats:

Kal
Male human werewolf Rgr of Malar 4: CR 6; Medium-sized shapechanger (werewolf); HD 4d10+16; hp 47; Init +9 (+5 Dex, +4 Misc); Speed 50ft.; AC 19 (touch 17, flat-footed 12); Atk +9 meele (1d6+, Bite); SA Favored Enemy(Human), Alternate Form, Lycanthropic Empathy, Curse of Lycanthropy, Scent, Trip, +4 to Wilderness Lore when tracking by scent; AL CE; SV Fort +10, Refl +6, Will +4; Str 14, Dex 20, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills and Feats: Bluff 3; Hide 12; Move Silently 12; Tumble 8; Jump 4; Control Shape 7; Search 0; Sense Motive 1; Listen 1; Spot 1; Wilderness Lore 8; Ambidexterity, Armor Proficiency (Light, Medium), Blind-Fight, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Mobility, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Spring Attack, Track, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse (Bite)
Ranger Spells: 1; base DC = 11 + spell level
Possessions: Infusion of Forestfold (MotW, +20 to hide and move silently if devoured)

All the party members are level 4, but theyre not in their best shape at the moment. This encounter is supposed to be an important happening in my campaign, so I'd like it to be memorable.

Thanks.

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
A couple of things I thought of right away. does the werewolf need to hide? Sometimes the players expect certain things to happen and when they don't they think something else entirely. So in your example, you mention that the creature appears to be hiding but the pcs can obviously see it. They might think it is some sort of trap or trick to get them to go deeper into the woods looking for assassin vines and whatnot. The second thing (which was actually the first:D ) Your the DM if you want the werewolf to hide behind the MU cape the werewolf can! If your looking for a number boost I don't think you can do anything without changing the encounter:confused:

Kroax

Explorer
Good point.

Although the reason to why I'd rather boost his bluff skill than just let him make an automatic success is that I'd like my players to at least have a (small) chance to not get bluffed.

I don't like the idea of confronting them with problem that can only be solved the hard way because I don't let them to solve it another way. At least not in this encounter ;)

Although you reminded me of something else that will probably help me: Circumstance bonuses.

Maybe a +7 bonus, or something like that ;)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads