• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bored of DM'ing :(

thundershot

Adventurer
GrayIguana said:
In the Crater Ridge Mines, I got more questions like "Why are we here again?".

ROFL!! I got that too! It wasn't until they met some of the more interesting NPCs that they come to realize that they really have to stop this from happening! Now they're trying to convince the hired help NPC's to help them (the Gnolls, etc).

Chris

Saint Brendan

First Post
When I DM and get bored with the storyline or if my players are getting frustrated with it, I try to change what I'm doing.
Fun is the name of the game. Try expanding out of the module, and do something cool that you and your players will like.
When your orc slaying loses the appeal it had two weeks ago, throw some side adventure with dark elf samurai with acid blades, a knack for decapitation, and have a smoldering ash fortress.
Kick it up a notch, if you will

DDK

Banned
Banned
thundershot said:
ROFL!! I got that too! It wasn't until they met some of the more interesting NPCs that they come to realize that they really have to stop this from happening! Now they're trying to convince the hired help NPC's to help them (the Gnolls, etc).
I hate to say it but this seems to be a common denominator. My players are constantly saying things like that. Personally, I don't think it's all that unobvious, I mean... evil... kill it... what's so complex? What more motivation do they need? There is, after all, treasure involved which is all my players seem to care about...

thundershot

Adventurer
Fourecks said:

I hate to say it but this seems to be a common denominator. My players are constantly saying things like that. Personally, I don't think it's all that unobvious, I mean... evil... kill it... what's so complex? What more motivation do they need? There is, after all, treasure involved which is all my players seem to care about...

Technically, yes, but it becomes difficult when you have two chaotic good party members, a true neutral (tempted by evil), and one neutral evil (who plays innocent, and only the true neutral one knows she's evil). She talks like Kasumi from Ranma 1/2.. :D

Everyone has their own motivation, whether it be destroying evil, gaining power, or just finds the whole thing annoying and wants to stop it all so he can not be bothered with the evil anymore... :D

Chris

Bagpuss

Legend
We are luckly in that of our group of roughly 6, 3 regulars (myself included) are experienced DM's in a number of different systems.

So we get bored of D&D some one else starts Flashing Blades, bored of that we switch to Cyberpunk, bored of that try Vampire, or CoC or even a new system, or old system like 2300AD.

Eventually we go back to D&D. I would say D&D, Flashing Blades and Cyberpunk are the main game systems we stick with.

ced1106

Explorer
Fourecks said:
I'm actually wondering if I'm bored as a DM because I'm running a module. I'm used to making up NPC's and traps and treasures and whatnot and getting to see it all play out. Now, all the work is done for me...

Think it's the module itself, rather than that you're running a module? I can't find a synopsis on CRM on the net, so I assume it's an adventure that "doesn't get to the point" for quite awhile of gaming.

I must have 100+ AD&D adventures (modules and Dungeon magazine) and I have to say that I'm interested in running less than 10% of them. Of my favorite one (X3: Chateau D'Amberville), I toss out most of the combat scenes, and get to the point of odd NPCs and strange "tricks and traps".

Good luck. An RPGnet review just praised Atlas Games' Ebon Mirror. I also enjoyed the Dungeon adventures (at least when I was reading it in b&w). Keep hunting.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Remove ads