• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boston Gamers: Who is looking for a game?

msd

First Post
OK...inspired by the "Lonesome Gamer" thread and the fact that there appears to be a number of recent posts by people in the Boston/Cambridge/MetroWest area that are looking for gaming groups (myself included! :p ), I thought I would start this thread.

My hope is that this thread is a little different. I am not specifically looking for players or specifically looking for a DM, or whatever. I would just like to throw open my interests and have other people do the same and maybe we can assemble a running game from some of the spare parts around here. :D

Interested In
D&D - Only really familiar with 3.5, but would willing to learn other versions if someone is willing to teach them. I have no problem investing in books from older editions. Generally I prefer role-playing to just hack-n-slash but first and foremost, I am looking for a good story that I will remember long after the campaign is gone.

WFRP - Just bought the books and I think I am very interested in this.

Iron Heroes - Same. I just bought the books and I think I could be very interested in this.

SF - I have never played in this kind of campaign and I don't any of the books, but I am certainly open to the possibility.

Modern - Same. I would be willing to give this a shot if it were a cool story and setting.

Not Interested In
Vampire, horror, and supers

Availability
Mostly weekends, but Thursday nights are also a great time for me.

Proposed Gaming Space
I would love to have you over to my 500 sq. ft. apartment in the South End, but...yeah. I believe there is gaming space available at MIT classrooms on the weekend provided that one member is a member of their Strategy Gaming Group (or something like that). You don't have to be affiliated with MIT (thank goodness...I am lucky if I can count to 10 without issues) and the annual fee is ludicrously low, which is nice.

What about you? Post here and lets get gaming! Feel free to PM me about anything!

-Matt

Rystil Arden

First Post
I'm at MIT, and the Strategic Games Society http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/activity/s/sgs/www/home.html , does not cover D&D or other such games in its list of games. We do also have an Assassin's Guild, and those people are a little bit...well...let's say they're into different things than I am and leave it at that. I'm rather astonished that there's no group for traditional RPGs here (to the best of my knowledge), and that it is all but impossible to find anyone who plays them. That said, I don't have a gaming group here at school, which is why I do all this PbP.

~Rystil

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
msd said:
Proposed Gaming Space
I believe there is gaming space available at MIT classrooms on the weekend provided that one member is a member of their Strategy Gaming Group (or something like that). You don't have to be affiliated with MIT (thank goodness...I am lucky if I can count to 10 without issues) and the annual fee is ludicrously low, which is nice.

What about you? Post here and lets get gaming! Feel free to PM me about anything!

-Matt

Another location you may be able to use, if your group has a "member", is the NESFA Clubhouse (New England Science Fiction Association).

The NESFA Clubhouse is located at 504 Medford Street, Somerville, MA.

Rystil Arden

First Post
msd said:
OK...this is strange as I specifically spoke to someone from the SGS and they said this was fine, but no matter.

Are you looking for a game then? What are your interests?
Hmm...I guess they're just nice enough to get room for D&D players then, which is actually quite kind of them. It's too bad--I hadn't heard of them until you mentioned them, so that immediately got my hopes up that the Assassin's Guild had not sucked up all possible D&D players, but I did a thorough check and they do wargames and roleplaying board games (like Diplomacy), but not anything resembling D&D. As for looking for a game, I was for most of the last two and a half years, but I'm not sure any more...I have a lot of PbP now, and not necessarily enough time for a face-to-face game. However, if it was going to be on my own campus anyway, I don't think I could resist stopping by for a try.

As for my interests, I would be best prepared to play D&D of various sorts, as I brought the books for that up with me (couldn't very well bring everything up to college after all). I have an Arcana Evolved book, but not with me, and Iron Heroes sounds cool but I don't own it. I also like variant systems/settings using D&D as a basis (one particular variant system that's popular on these boards to the point that I haven't gotten to run anything else yet is my Neospelljamming one--if you filter any of the PbP forums for 'Spelljamming' , you will find threads on it). I like lots of things--pretty much the only things I don't like are guns, core-rules-only, and crazy-deadly wound-point systems.

Let me know if you get anything running at MIT, and as I said, I'd be glad to drop by.

msd

First Post
By the way...I should additionally note that while I am a totally newbie DM, I would be willing to give it a shot if you all would have me.

Will people who respond to the thread please indicate whether they would be willing to DM so that we have a sense of what our collective options are?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

msd

First Post
Who else is out there? Show your faces, because I know you are out there! :p

Post to this thread and pretty soon we will be able to put together a group.

-Matt

Remove ads