• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

boulder on birdy

wraith8

First Post
IM in a duel with a an amorphous ape riding an amorphous eagle. I ploymorphed any object to change the ape to a 10k boulder on top of the eagle. At the time of this the eagle was on the ground and the ape who was polymorphed was on otop of him
What happens to the eagle?
Is he squashed?
Is he pinned?

Jeremy

Explorer
He means Anthromorphic by the way. ;)

Here were my thoughts on it, though I'm not in the fight.

DMG, pg 89
For each 200 pounds of an object's weight, the object deals 1d6 points of damage, provided it falls at least 10 feet.

By the DMG rules, the eagle takes no damage as the boulder didn't fall 10'. Screwy, wrong, but the rules. However.

DMG, pg 89
Code:
Object Weight	  Falling Distance to Cause 1d6
200-101			20 ft.
100-51			 30 ft.
etc				etc

Looking at the first example we can see that something 200 pounds needs to fall 10 feet to do damage, so presumably, something 500 lbs or more wouldn't have to fall at all, just be set in place to do 1d6 points of crushing damage (if that seems small look at the minimum weight of a collosal dragon and it's piddly crush damage for sitting on something).

So logic and math could reasonably assume "Crushing Damage = (Weight/500)*1d6", or in this case, 20d6. Saves represent skill, luck, and ability, and I'm always against saying that something allows no save. So I'd say reflex for half. As for the DC, that's something that'd have to be case by case.

I'd make it flat DC 20 to shift your weight enough that when it crushes you it scuffs off a little causing less damage or have some blind chance provide relief...

Remove ads