• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boxed set versus Hardcover - FIGHT!

Boxed set or Hardcover: Your choice?

• Always liked opening a boxed set...It's like Xmas every day!

Votes: 49 47.1%
  • Hardcover for me--Easy storage and no lost pieces

Votes: 41 39.4%
  • Doesn't matter - AS long as the info is the same, I don't care

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • I would buy BOTH!!! And yes, I'm related to Bill Gates

Votes: 4 3.8%

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Voted: I don't care. Partly because I prefer softcovers (their cheaper!) and partly because it depends. For settings I prefer boxed sets.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's boxed sets for me, for one simple reason: I hate tearing out perforated maps from the back of a hardcover. Even if I don't accidentally rip the map in the process, I still feel like I'm damaging my book, and the map always ends up getting lost so easily, since putting it back in the book invariably means it falls out at some point.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Hardcovers.

I have never had a Boxed Set RPG, but I know they are pretty much the same thing as board games in terms of packaging.

I just prefer Hardcovers because they are more durable. And you can stick papers in them, Boxed Sets are not the only things that can hold papers.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Depends.

Is it an adventure?

Is it an adventure with a lot of maps and tiles that will need a place to store it?

Is it a campaign setitng broken up into different parts that go into different bookks?

If it's just an info dump like Martial Power, then no, hardcover is great.

If it's supposed to be a mega adventure with books broken up by purpose and several huge maps, and tokens, then no, a boxed set is the way to go.

Vorput

First Post
Hardcovers are better in most every way. They're easier to store, more durable, harder to lose, etc. all.

And yet I still voted for the box set. They're just so much more fun to open and look at. Plus the way things would come in different pieces always made it more exciting. Plus they always had cool things- handouts, big maps, little minis, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads