• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boxed Text

aco175

Legend
I always liked boxed text, even if I do not need it to run the adventure. As a DM, I want to know what to express to the players whom are not privy to the module. I tend to use miniatures when we play and the players can see the size and shape of the room, but by reading the description I can point out on the board anything in the description I'm reading that may look funny or not be clear.

ScaleyBob

Explorer
I find when reading boxed text, it's vitally important to:

-Read it in a slightly rushed monotone, quite different from your normal GMs voice.

-Accidentally skip words, or even whole lines

-Go back over what you've just said, and then read it all out again

-Skip forward from the box and read out parts of the room description, including things the players shouldn't know.

-Not let the Players interrupt you while you're reading it out, and starting back from the beginning if they do.

-If there's a scripted part between two NPCs get their names (or voices) mixed up so no-one has any idea who has said what.

Sadly I've been in games, and run games where all of these have happened. I don't mind Boxed Text, but as GM of a certain age it does often come with a certain amount of baggage applied.

Remove ads