• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boy, Does It Ever Suck Not Getting Paid!

kcmopd1913

First Post
Ironic, especially given the fact that Deb dragged me through the mud on various fora a couple of years back for paying Dog Soul about a month late.

A little digging turned up an entry about it on my blog, from 2006.

I read the blog and it was funny as hell, at least the way you expressed it was great.

There should be a list or stars next to publishers names that are good at getting the job done. Something like how ebay has it. I think that would help out alot of publishers looking for freelancers and freelancers considering working for publishers. I think that would helpful. Of course word of mouth works quit well. I sure will not be doing business with them. and the funny thing is they are selling the product John did. I just hope he gets paid for his work!

John Cooper

Explorer
Thanks again, everyone, for the support, advice, and kind offers. I've been contacted by several different companies interested in publishing the "CCCC" line in some form or another, so now I'm sending them queries on their plans and deciding how best to proceed.

Mynex

First Post
John,

When you get a free moment, drop me an email please. mynex at codemonkeypublishing dot com.

I've physically sickened by this treatment of freelancers. Without you guys, there wouldn't be so much good stuff out on the market. I expect to see lots more 3.5 and even a goodly number of 4.0 products done by all you guys over time.

You don't get to be a professional by accident, it takes time, practice, work, patience, and most of all a love for what you do.

*sigh*

And CMP has been burned by a freelancer in the past for a couple grand... So it can go both ways, but for 180$... that's just insane.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Damn. Can I 'unbuy' the one thing I bought from them? ********

Anyway, I'll just make it a policy never to buy anything anyone from that company is involved in, and will point others here for future reference (or at least give them the basics.)

eyebeams

Explorer
Good on you for talking about it, John.

There are a lot of companies with unrealistic business models. They don't know the scale of things, or they assume some other source of cashflow is going to happen. In Dog Soul's case, I suspect the latter, because the company was also did B2B work. I have a hunch that they figured they would divert some of this to production costs, release a lot of stuff and then watch the long tail money come in. Unfortunately, B2B services in PDF are not a big thing. No revenue from there = no money to hire people, and if you want a bunch of releases fast, you're going to have to schedule things before you know you can pay for them. This is a bad idea, especially when you pay on a per-word/piece rather than a profit sharing scheme.

People panic. They get too proud to admit they made a mistake. They start playing fast and loose with the truth. They start leaning on people for money.

Now I've had two tight spots. In one, I hired someone to do a little class book. They submitted, I PDFed it. The sales sucked. Fortunately, I paid royalty, so it kind of sucked equally for both of us. I ended up paying this person an advance and withdrawing the product simply because tracking it was too onerous. They got the money they were owed. It stung, though.

In the other situation, I was on the verge of contracting someone for a Quick20 expansion, but almost right after tentatively the proposal (but before signing anything), I had to spend a bunch of my savings to commute to the ARG/online project I was working on. I had to tell this person that I couldn't move forward. I got their hopes up and feel bad about that, but again -- nobody was denied money they were entitled to.

These were unfortunate situations, but I feel I made the best out of them by identifying the issue early, and taking it on the chin before I dug myself a hole. People really need to do this if they want to do business ethically. Wince to yourself and take control.

Rhianni32

Adventurer
I think you handled this very professionally in not naming them at first and to give them a more then reasonable time to pay you.
I'm glad you called them out and named them. I have been holding off buying some new pdfs as I had no idea who the company was. I can now avoid them and help to support proper companies.

thegrizz

First Post
I am sad to hear you didn't get paid. I really wish people wouldn't hire someone and then refuse to pay them. I get not accepting a proposal. I even get not liking the rough draft and saying "sorry trashing the project" but I don't get signing contracts that state a person will get paid and then not paying them. I wish this problem didn't exist but unfortunately it does. However the up side is that near as I can tell the RPG industry is actually one of the better industries, other freelance markets can be brutal about never getting paid.

I really dug the CCCC idea, I hope someone picks it up. I am entering the pdf market myself in a couple months but I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I offer to pay a writer. However when I feel that I can afford to pay a writer I will give you a call dude.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads