• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boy, Does It Ever Suck Not Getting Paid!

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
GMS is not blowing smoke here people. We saw a significant drop in sales for October as well, our worse single month drop in three and a half years.

Urizen

First Post
Sales have been down for my company (Reality Deviant Publications) as well.

Not HUGE, mind you. I've had some solid releases which have done well, but I've been looking at a downward trend every month since August.

mikelaff

Explorer
With all due respect to Gareth and all the other esteemed publishers:

The most important point is getting lost here.

If I'm reading the post right - a promised payment date went by with no contact from the publisher. (And although hopefully this was merely an oversight, unfortunately in this case, it was not the first time.)

Everyone is very busy and everyone is feeling the pinch.

That doesn't mitigate the truth that the creators who've worked for you deserve the basic courtesy of an email explaining why you can't pay them right now and what sort of arrangement might be made in the future.

They shouldn't have to call you out on a gaming forum before they find out what's going on.

With all due respect to Gareth and all the other esteemed publishers:

The most important point is getting lost here.

If I'm reading the post right - a promised payment date went by with no contact from the publisher. (And although hopefully this was merely an oversight, unfortunately in this case, it was not the first time.)

Thank you...and you are reading it right.

I was not notified about this sudden change in payment due to fourth quarter losses until mentioning non-payment here. I have not received an email since the one Gareth sent to me on October 21st informing me that I should expect a check by the end of the month. Also, Adamant's fourth quarter earning problems this year cannot explain the lack of payment from any other quarter earnings over the last three years.

GMSkarka

Explorer
I have not received an email since the one Gareth sent to me on October 21st informing me that I should expect a check by the end of the month.

Because you posted publicly, so I responded publicly here.

Also, Adamant's fourth quarter earning problems this year cannot explain the lack of payment from any other quarter earnings over the last three years.

The project your art was commissioned for was never released, as you know. I did use a couple of pieces of your artwork as filler on other projects, and I should have been more communicative regarding that.

What the earning problems did affect, though, was cash-on-hand -- to allow the entire balance to be cleared, which is what I've been trying to do, and still am.

Although my experience with Adamant Entertainment was unpleasant at best, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Gareth finally paid me for my work. Also, he released my remaining illustrations, that I might sell them elsewhere. It's nice to see the matter resolved.

matthewajg

First Post
Same problem

As fate would have it, I have had the exact same problem with Dog Soul Publishing for work I started in 2005, that was published in 2006, sold well when it was first released, and garnered an Honorable Mention for Best Eelectronic Book in the Ennies! The book I co-wrote "Kitsunemori" was bery well received by players and critics. I worked for hundreds of hours on the project, and even convinced friends to contribute free artwork for the project. I was very proud of what was accomplished. However, after only the initial payment for the book, I never saw another payment! I have been emailing the company literally for YEARS with only empty promises of payment. One promise after another have proven nothing more than lies, and I am frankly sickened by their inattention to this matter. It is ridiculous and unacceptable. I have been speaking with a lawyer about further action as I am owed more than John's $180 at this point. I think it is about time that the publisher be responsible and take care of this. Sean or Deb, after all of the work I did for free for your company, and the endless hours poured into creating a book that you have profited from, I think it is only fair that you pay me what is owed. Contact me.

For all of you reading this thread, I am among a group of many freelancers; friends who write for reputable companies like Goodman Games and even Wizards. Unless I am finally paid for my work on "Kitsunemori", I can do nothing but strongly urge you to not work for or buy any other Dog Soul's products. If I am paid, I will gladly post on this thread again to let you all know that Dog Soul has done the right thing.

Rafael Ceurdepyr

First Post
I'll be interested to hear what happens, matthewajg. I'd wondered if I was the only person Dog Soul hadn't paid, but apparently not. I contacted them when they re-emerged with a new website and new products and was assured I'd be paid. Doesn't seem likely now.

matthewajg

First Post
Yeah, there are quite a few of us. I think at this point wee should consider a boycott of their merchandise. Perhaps this is the perfect forum to get that started.

Remove ads