• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BOYCOTT of Wotc miniatures

KenM

Banned
Banned
MerricB said:
What's the chance of two Dragoneye boosters having the same rare? 1 in 20. It's quite common, actually - nad if you buy any significant amount of boosers, you'll have it happen to you.

But I have also heard people buying cases of 16 boosters, and getting 3 or 4 of the same rare frome the same case. That should not happen, with 20 rares in the set, you should get 16 different rares in the case. I have also seen people pull two packs from a case and getting the excat same 8 minis from each booster. Something is wrong.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
KenM said:
But I have also heard people buying cases of 16 boosters, and getting 3 or 4 of the same rare frome the same case. That should not happen, with 20 rares in the set, you should get 16 different rares in the case.

That isn't a problem. It's meant to be random distribution, and getting 16 different rares from one case should be unlikely.

I have also seen people pull two packs from a case and getting the excat same 8 minis from each booster. Something is wrong.

That is a problem - but how often have you seen it?

Certainly there were early troubles with the distribution of figures like the Gnoll, but Wizards have told us they've looked into the problem and have been fixing it.

Cheers!

Magestrike

First Post
My observation

On the distribution issue, my group of friends and I have run into a few problems with this. Here is a sample of our breakdown:

Harbinger: 85 boosters and 14 starters opened

1 Ogre
1 Human Blackguard
1 Fire Elemental
1 Owlbear
2 Displacer Beasts
2 Sword of Heironeous
2 Arcane Archers
2 Human Thugs
2 Azer Raiders

Dragoneye: 105 boosters opened

0 Dwarven Defenders
1 Eye of Grumush
1 Gold Champion
1 Dire Ape
2 Monsterous Spiders
2 Red Dragons
2 Brass Dragons
2 Black Dragons
15 Dire Lions

We have bought all of our boxes from the same store, and our purchases have been spread out. Ill let everyone else draw their own conclusions about distribution.

Mage

Gizzard

First Post
That is a problem - but how often have you seen it?

I posted a thread asking about the distribution after I opened my only three packs of DragonEye and got three Carrion Crawlers. :-/

The obvious caveat here is that there are only 20 rares in the set; obviously people are going to see huge duplication. Off the top of my head, the odds of me pulling 3 of any rare should be about 1/400. (1 * 1/20 * 1/20). That's not that unusual, so if any sizeable number of people bought Dragoneye, a couple of us should have had "weird" things happen.

--edit to add--
2 Red Dragons
2 Brass Dragons
2 Black Dragons

One thing I am curious about is how WotC prevents people from scalping packs with "heavy" rares. MtG has had this problem; any deficiency in packaging that allows people to detect what rares or whether foil cards are present causes chaos as valuable packs are snatched up at various places in the distribution chain.

Is this an issue with D&D minis?

Last edited:

KenM

Banned
Banned
Magestrike said:
0 Dwarven Defenders.... 1 Dire Ape.........

We have bought all of our boxes from the same store, and our purchases have been spread out. Ill let everyone else draw their own conclusions about distribution.

Mage

I have 3 Dwarven Defendenders, and 3 dire apes. The first two packs I bought, I got two DD. Then a week later, I bought two more packs and got two Dire apes. I got them at different stores, but I think there is something wrong when it keeps happeneing.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Gizzard said:
One thing I am curious about is how WotC prevents people from scalping packs with "heavy" rares. MtG has had this problem; any deficiency in packaging that allows people to detect what rares or whether foil cards are present causes chaos as valuable packs are snatched up at various places in the distribution chain.

Is this an issue with D&D minis?

It is an issue - and there isn't an easy way to stop it. Some of the uncommons are heavier than normal and can cause mistakes in this form; and of course many good rares aren't heavy. (e.g. Displacer Beast).

Cheers!

Jehosephat

First Post
MerricB said:
It is an issue - and there isn't an easy way to stop it. Some of the uncommons are heavier than normal and can cause mistakes in this form; and of course many good rares aren't heavy. (e.g. Displacer Beast).

Cheers!

Well, then, I guess I just haven't gotten good enough to tell yet. You see, it hasn't helped me get one single mini I wanted. C'est la vie.

Remove ads