Bracers of Archery price...

lightful

Explorer
So, I noticed that Lesser Bracers of Archery, which grant proficiency with any bow or a +1 competance bonus to hit cost 5 000 gp., while the greater version which grants +2 to hit and +1 to damage costs 25 000. Does this seem like an excessive price to anyone else ? How were they priced ?

A +1 competance bonus to a skill is worth 100 gp., and while I'm fully aware that bonuses to hit and damage are much more valuable, I'm not certain that they're better by a factor of 50 !

Inigo Carmine

First Post
Competance bonuses to attack and damage are rare bonuses, and will stack with all of your more common bonuses (various str bonuses, enhancement bonuses to dex, magical enhancement bonuses to weapons, etc etc.). This is the same reason that an amulet of natural armor, for instance, costs much more than bracers of armor even though they essentially provide the same benefit.

Infiniti2000

First Post
The bonuse to a skill is completely irrelevant. A bonus to an attack and damage is 2,000gp. Since this is an unusual type of bonus and therefore stacks with the enhancement bonus, the price was increased. I'm not sure if the bonus type warrants such a high price, but it's most definitely not 100gp. The granting of proficiency makes the calculation of the price pretty odd. A user of these items cannot benefit from both parts, so I suppose the price just has to be the higher of the two.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Cabral said:
Not so. Since the user can only benefit from one effect or the other, the cheaper of the two gets a discount.
Make the cheaper of the two free. It doesn't affect the actual price though if the price is based on the more expensive of the two. :)

I otherwise have no idea what you mean. :p

He's arguing that, because it has multiple abilities, neither of which can be benefited from at the same time, the abilities should be prices as "multiple similar abilities."

So, the cheaper ability gets a 25% discout, etc.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Probably the main reason why they cost so much is that the Bracers of Archery (lesser and otherwise) give you a bonus to attacks (and damage, in the case of the greater of the two) when using ANY bow- not just a specific bow, as with enchanting your bow, and it works with ANY bow, albeit short, long, or great. This kind of a benefit, which applies completely independantly of what kind of bow you're using, and which individual bow, merits the higher price. Unless someone takes away the bracers, there's nothing they can do to make you stop gaining the benefit- as long as you can get any sort of a bow in your hands, you get the bonuses.

Remove ads