• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Brain in a Jar ECL

jRocket

First Post
I'm thinking of playing the "Brain in a Jar" monster from Libris Mortis for an upcoming Planescape game. This monster was never intended as a playable race, but I'm sure it can be done. Eventually my plan would be to embed myself in some sort of golem or other construct. Think 'Krang' from the TMNT cartoon. It has no ECL modifier listed, so I was wondering what would be suitable given this creatures unique powers.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
List the powers, in addition to whatever the construct-part would do (and would cost, if its destruction doesn't destory the B-i-a-J).

-- N

jRocket

First Post
Well, it has 3HD and a bunch of psionic powers.
Its a tiny undead, it can fly, and has blindsight and telepathy.
+6 int and cha, +4 dex, +2 wis
Naturally, since it has no real body, it has no attacks whatsoever and has no str or con. The only way it can manipulate objects is thought telekenesis. Thats a major drawback there that should be taken into account.
It has a "mind thrust" which does 2d10 damage to anyone that fails a will save.
It's "Madness" ability drains Wisdom from anyone that tries to use thought detection or mind control against it.
It has a suggestion and telekenesis 3x/day and dominate person 1x/day
It can also rebuke or command undead as a cleric.

Overall, its not too tough. It's mind thrust only does 2d10 and nothing on a save, although there is no limitation to its usage. The contruct part isnt something that is built with the character, but rather something that could be obtained later by a golem manual perhaps. I was thinking a +4 LA would be fair. Too much, too little?

SpiralBound

Explorer
jRocket said:
Overall, its not too tough. It's mind thrust only does 2d10 and nothing on a save, although there is no limitation to its usage.

LOL!! :D The "disadvantages" you list pale in comparison to it's numerous other abilities, so much so that I personally wouldn't even consider them. an ECL of +4 is the absolute lowest I'd even consider. More of a place to leap off from in calculating it's rating as a pc race. Still, I guess it's all relative to what the other players are using... None the less, you're definitely not playing the same game I play. ;) Is this a M&M style of game?

jRocket

First Post
Nope. Planescape.

Maybe a +5 would be more suitable. You still have to consider that no being able to manipulate objects and having no attacks are pretty major drawbacks. It also can't carry or wear objects that weigh anything because it has no strength score. This means that it can't even wear most magic items! I still think +4 is a good number - A starting Brain in a Jar would be about the equivalent of a 7th level character.

the Jester

Legend
Hmm, let's look at it piece by piece.

jRocket said:
Its a tiny undead, it can fly, and has blindsight and telepathy.

Bam! Good start! I give this +3 LA right here- according to Savage Species, flight with good maneuverability is worth +2, and blindsight is worth another +1. Undead immunities, imho, is almost worth another +1 but we'll pass that one for now.

jRocket said:
+6 int and cha, +4 dex, +2 wis

Another +1 LA. We're up to +4 at this point.

jRocket said:
Naturally, since it has no real body, it has no attacks whatsoever and has no str or con. The only way it can manipulate objects is thought telekenesis. Thats a major drawback there that should be taken into account.
It has a "mind thrust" which does 2d10 damage to anyone that fails a will save.

This is roughly the equivalent to a weapon attack for a BiaJ. And it's a pretty darn big weapon. Yes, a target might make its save; this is analogous to missing on your attack roll. I give this another +1. We're at +5.

jRocket said:
It's "Madness" ability drains Wisdom from anyone that tries to use thought detection or mind control against it.
It has a suggestion and telekenesis 3x/day and dominate person 1x/day
It can also rebuke or command undead as a cleric.

Another +1 here for spell-like abilities, total +6.

Now, let's compare a brain in a jar wizard 1 (total ECL 10) with a 10th-level human wizard.

HP: the wizard averages 25; the BiaJ averages 22. Pretty much a wash here- minor advantage to the wizard.

Spells: the wizard has a lot more spells. The BiaJ's best abilities are telekinesis and dominate person- 5th level tops, iirc. But it has less of 'em- advantage wizard. However, all things being equal, the BiaJ tops the wizard in save DCs (+6 int!).

BAB: wizard +5, BiaJ irrelevent. The only thing that matters is your Will save. Hmm. I'd say this is a wash- but the BiaJ does more damage with its 'standard attack mode' than the wizard with a weapon. Of course the wizard's got tons of low-level spells, too...

Saves: Wizard has +7 Will, +3 Fort and Ref (base). BiaJ has +5 Will, +1 Fort and Ref for base saves. Advantage to the wizard.

Seems like +6 is too high, but not by much. I'd go with +5.

jRocket

First Post
How's a Brain in a Jar going to be a Wiz1? It can't use verbal, somatic, and probably material components. :p It would easier to make it a psion. Isn't there at least some negative ECL adjustment for lack of hands or body? I don't have Savage Species to check. I recall there being an online calculator somewhere.

The Mind Thrust is pretty nice, but it's only a 1st level power... and can't be augmented, so at higher levels, its not going to be that great.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
jRocket said:
How's a Brain in a Jar going to be a Wiz1? It can't use verbal, somatic, and probably material components.

No, dude. He's comparing a human Wiz and a BiaJ to see what level Wizard is roughly the same power level as the BiaJ. That's how you figure out LA.

-- N

the Jester

Legend
jRocket said:
The comparison was between a 1st level wizard Brain in a Jar to a 10th level human Wizard.

Right.

A BiaJ has 3 HD. If we assign it one wizard (or psion, or whatever) level, that's 4 HD. Then you add the +6 LA and get ECL 10, then compare against a wizard (or psion, or whatever) of that level (10th).

Remove ads