• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Brain)storming the Archmages Tower

Furtive Noise

First Post
I'm trying to pull together an adventure and figured I might as well see what kind of ideas people could come up with to help flesh out a rough idea. In a forgotten realms game the pc's will return to Waterdeep to find that Khelben's tower has gone into full 'defensive' mode- the mage was last seen heading w/in and divinations reveal he (or his body at least) still lies within. Hopefully they'll head in and eventually discover his living but inert body over a mirror, as his mind is trapped in a distant location he was scrying upon.. leading to further adventure & etc.

What I'm looking for is ideas on how to make this guys tower seem unique and dangerous to them.. I'm thinking of weird rooms, deadly traps, and bound creatures now freed as some of the towers magic goes awry.. perhaps a powerful escaped beast lies near the top or controls some of the other monsters as this would give the place a satisfying 'boss' type fight. I'm kind of drawing a blank on specifics at the moment though. The party is 14-16 level and is stupidly powerful- they have a frenzied berserker, a Waterdhavian mage focused on counterspelling that effectively nullifies any spellcaster threat, a resilient cleric, and around 2 or 3 others depending on how many casual players show up in a given night. So any ideas, even cool noncombat ones, would be appreciated. I don't really know or care too much about Realms canon, but any interesting things that would make the place more 'Khelben'ish would be nice.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Set up a series of tables to make the interior random, even if they turn around to leave and cover ground they have already mapped.

Rabelais

First Post
That's your winner right there. Even if all the encounters are level appropriate, making sure that they never reallyl know where they are is pretty scary.

How many contingency spells would be set to go off if the proprieter is Offline?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads