• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Brainstorm: Alternative Druid-Like Nature Classes (UPDATED!)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Greenbond and Spirit Shaman are nice classes, IMHO. Also look at the Totemist, the OA Shaman, and, believe it or not, the Binder.

Some non-exclusive ideas:

The SS has one feature that I like that is underrepresented in D&D- its a class centered around an animistic worldview. They derive their power from working with the spirits that inhabit the world around us. Take the SS and boost its link to the spirit world, let them converse with them, learn from them, gain power from working with them.

Another possibility would be someone who can self-buff based on his totemic animals. A totemic character might also be able to take on animalistic abilities- akin to what happens with Eberron Shifters.

Perhaps like in Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion story arc, he derives power from pacts with nature deities. (This would be best modeled by something like the Binder.)

You could have them choose Domains, like a Cleric, but limited to the various nature-themed ones. In addition, as they level up, give them characteristics based on those domains akin to the Drift mechanic of the Geomancer.

Equip the class with a bonus and slightly broadened variation of the "Elemental Substitution" feat. In addition to the usual, add appropriately themed nature sources. Example: Flaming Sphere- a direct-damage area-effect spell- could be modified to do "plant" damage. How does this work? Like this: someone within the sphere of effect is attacked by woody plant roots intruding into the skin, or plants that they consumed blooming and growing painfully within their digestive tracts, or the like (see issues of DC Comics' Swamp Thing from the 1990s). If the substitution was "animal" damage, perhaps the target is swarmed by insects... It might have to be limited to conjuration spells, but who cares?

Instead of shapeshifting, perhaps they have increased and unhindered movement in natural surroundings. At higher levels, they would almost seem to teleport...

Remathilis

Legend
why not take the sorcerer (or favored soul), strip it's spell list and replace it with one adequate for the flavor you're going for? (and replace an odd feature or two that you don't think fits, like familiars if you go with sorcerer as the base with nature's stride or some other druid ability)

That was my intention, but I haven't found adequate flavor yet!

I have seen the spirit shaman, but I was not initially pleased with how the spirit powers worked (they seemed far too conditional, since they only worked on a small sub-group of creatures that I rarely use; elementals, incorporeal undead, and fey).

Anyway, so far I have the following ideas...

* Elementalist: someone who is imbued with the power of the elemental forces, both classical (fire, earth, air, water) and primal (wind, lightning, rain, sun, plants, animals).

* Witch: A play on neo-pagan/green witch beliefs.

* Shaman: A primitive culture priest.

* Animist: A spiritualist who draws power from nature's spiritual realm and can command nature's spirits.

My heart is leaning toward a combination of Animist and Elementalist; someone who summons the natural spirits (or perhaps archtypical spirits like sylphs and undines) to aid her.

I just need a good name...

Remathilis

Legend
Update

Ok, I found my inspiration wandering the hallowed halls of wikipedia!

The Ovate (Vate)

According to the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids, an ovate...
OBOD said:
In ancient times an Ovate was a prophet, seer, healer and diviner. In modern times, an Ovate is one who studies or practices herbalism, healing and divination within a Druidic context, or who has entered the Ovate level of training within a Druid Order.

(more at WHAT IS AN OVATE? :: OBOD :: The Order of Bards Ovates & Druids :: Druid Grove :: Druidism & Druidry as a spiritual path, Druid history, Bards, Ovates & Druids ancient and modern)

Which is exactly something I was looking for!

So now, I'm looking at a spontaneous divine caster who uses the druidic spell list, but has emphasis on divination, healing, and herbalism. That focus's my work down quite a bit.

Now, onto some hardcore design ideas...

* How to emphasize a connection to divinations. I could begin customizing the druid list to include more divinations, or I could somehow incorporate it into class features. Speaking of which...

* I don't want them wild-shaping to emphasize they aren't "spontaneous-casting druids", I'm looking at their own class features (with some overlap, like nature sense and timeless body). So I need something to replace wild-shape. Suggestions?

* I want to model herbalism, but I don't want an overly complex system to do so. Hmmm...

Ideas are, as always, welcomed.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) For herbalism, emphasize things that came out of its practice in the RW, like alchemy. They need to be able to make curatives and poisons from natural sources, so the class should probably have Craft (Alchemy), Craft (Herbalism) in addition to these from the Druid list: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis).

In addition, they should probably have Brew Potion as a bonus feat at 3rd level. Perhaps Alchemy, Herbalism, and potion Brewing are just part of a continuous curve for this class...

2) Since, in many cultures, the spirits of the dead, nature spirits and the like were often privy to knowledge beyond mortal ken, perhaps their divination spells are linked to and thus limited by the number and nature of spirits in the area. They may also be more like rituals than quick & speedy spells of other classes- there might not be a True Strike for them (or there might, redefined as aid from a spirit ally).

There are great examples of this- check out the Kalevala and Russian mythos- the heroes are often communicating with wind spirits and the like for info. Heavily animist religions, such as those of the Far East and those of Native Americans do likewise, and include the spirits of the dead as well. Its not uncommon for heroic mystics to talk to the dead.

Another great example of this is the Hadeshorn in the Shannarra books of Terry Brooks. The Druids of his fiction go there to seek wisdom from the spirits of dead druids.

Similarly, in the 1990s, DC Comics' Swamp thing was revealed to be a Plant Elemental, and began communicating with those plant elementals who preceded him in dominance- the Council of Trees.

3) In addition to/in place of speaking with spirits, perhaps they speak with animals. Give them that as a spell-like ability usable at will at 1st level, or with uses limited by Wis bonus.

As they gain levels, they can communicate with more remote intellects. Perhaps "speak with plants" a few level later, then "speak with stones" later still, and then...Elementals? Dead?

This could also tie back in with the whole divination thing, as the Ovate learns info from his natural friends. Think of the saying "a little bird told me"- it could be literal for the Ovate. (Perhaps they have an animal companion(s).)

4) Might I also suggest watching the original version of The Wicker Man- a nice take on paganism, cycles of life, etc.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
On the crunchy side, use the cloistered cleric variant, trade Cleric for Druid spell list, and use the Favbored soul for spell progression. Ta dah.:)

Prisoner6

First Post
* Animist: A spiritualist who draws power from nature's spiritual realm and can command nature's spirits.

I toyed with creating a Animist class for my campaign. My goal was to create approximately 8 spells of each spell level that were "spirit" related, and then flush out the spell list with existing spells. The new spells were supposed to be "spirit" related, which in practice turned into an exercise in conjuration/summoning.

For example, instead of casting Cure Light Wounds, the Animist would summon a spirit. That spirit then would go run/fly around casting Cure Light Wounds every round for a few rounds (say 3+caster level). I considered this a second level spell.

I never completed the class, so playtesting never happened. It's not clear to me if casting CLW a whole bunch of times is more or less powerful/useful than being able to heal more damage all at once.

In addition the Animist could summon spirits that attack, or spy, or carry things, or anything else that I could think of a spirit doing. I felt there were a lot of "opportunities for divination" in the class.

I did envision some sort of limitation on the class, like the number of spirits an Animist could control at one time, to prevent the character from essentially getting 5 or 10 actions every round.

Unfortunately, all the work died along with my hard drive a few months back.

Remathilis

Legend
Thanks everyone again!

So far, this is my idea...

The Ovate

HD d8
Align: any neutral

Skills: As druid

Bab: 3/4 (as cleric)
Saves: Good Fort/Will

Spells day/spells known: as favored soul (I upped sorcerer/mystic the same way). Charisma is prime caster stat. Druid spell list.

01st: Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy (as druid)
02nd: Speak with animals 2/day
04th: Resist nature's lure (as druid)
06th: Speak with plants 2/day
08th: Speak with dead 2/day
10th: Venom Immunity
12th: Commune with nature 1/day
14th: Stone tell 2/day
16th: Find the path 1/day
18th: Timeless Body
20th: Discern Location 1/day

The flavor is someone who hears nature's "voice" and acts as a speaker and advocate for the natural world. The "voice" could be spirits, a goddess figure, or whatever the DM devises.

I'm working on a full write-up, I might post it in the 3e house-rule forum sometime soon.

Remove ads