• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Brainstorming a M:tG themed campaign...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...and I'm doing it in HERO (either 5th rev or 6th). That way, I'll have no issues modeling mana and the different schools of magic.

I've been out of the CCG since 6th, but I still have my cards, so I remember many of the racial groups- Minotaurs, Angels, Giants, Slivers, Myconids, Saprolings, etc.- but I need a more complete list.

Plus, of course, lands/countries, personalities, and artifacts.

Ideas on how to make the campaign really get that M:tG feeling- who hates whom, what would be a good overarching theme and so forth would be especially welcome.

Any ideas? Any things I must model properly to get the right feel?

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Though we're not as active in the game as it stands now, every last one of them is familiar with it, and most are experienced tournament players.

What they're NOT familar with is HERO. And some may balk at learning the game, enough so that the campaign may not ever get played.

I still think it's the best tool for the job, though. I've been using the system from its initial release, and I can easily figure out which way I need to package things in order to model them.

zoggynog

First Post
Hah! just started up the same post over on the 5e forums a few hours ago. Great minds think alike.

Yea, I find it really odd this hasn't been done in an official capacity already.

Asmo

First Post
Why I´m asking is that it has happened a lot since 6 ed. I´m thinking about Planeswalkers (new card type, although Planewalkers have existed almost from the very beginning in M:tg), such as Garruk Wildspeaker, Jace Beleren, Sorin Markov and many others.
I think you could build an entire campaign round the latest set -Innistrad - which is a heavy gothic, horror set where humans, werewolfs, zombies, vampires and spirits-geists are running the show.

More information about Innistrad:

The World of Innistrad : Wizards of the Coast

The second set - Dark Ascension - is coming soon, which expands the storyline around Avacyn and Sorin.

The World of Dark Ascension : Wizards of the Coast

Good luck!

Asmo

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hah! just started up the same post over on the 5e forums a few hours ago. Great minds think alike..

Credit where credit is due: even though I've thought about it many a time- including just using M:tG AS a magic system for a campaign- it was your thread that actually got me thinking about it seriously & practically.

Which is why I'm using HERO instead of some form of D&D.

zoggynog

First Post
No need to give too much credit, I'm sure this was talked about many times when 3e launched. I just thought I'd poke the body with a stick come 5e. Glad it resparked your thoughts.

I think many people are over the whole "WoTC owns D&D now???" battle cries of the past. It is what it is. Might as well see what kind of interesting things could come of it.

There are so many directions you could take a game like this for sure. I'm not very up on the HERO system. I'll have to check that out.

Setting wise, there are a lot of options. Mirrodin was the set of cards I enjoyed playing, it had a very Eberron/Planescape kind of feel. You had Myr incubators churning out little "mouser" looking robots. Indestructible Golem creatures, Platinum Angels (which kind of remind me of the Lady of Pain), Weird lion people, rust spells, modular creatures that degrade/increase in power by adding onto themselves (think warforged).

It's a cool setting too.

I could imagine a MTG RPG going like this:

Everyone starts as a "summoner", this of course is not very traditional D&D. "Classes" occur based on schools/colors of magic.

You can only train in one school, or train in multiple schools. single vs dual colored decks. You start with a basic deck created when you build your character. It is always assumed that becoming a "summoner" has givin you a basic set of spells to cast. (think starter decks).

Your character has hit points and mana that require resting to restore. What type of starting mana colors depends on how you built your character/what race they are.

As you explore new lands, you have the ability to gain additional mana from how "in tune" with the surroundings you are. So imagine, you are a dark summoner and you walk into a swamp. You have an advantage, your black mana counts double. Folks that don't train in black magic can only draw non-colored mana.

Cards to add to your deck are given out based on what happens via RPG by the GM. Think pokemon. You make friends with the goblins, you can summon goblins. You get goblin card. You learn protection from Red magic at an academy, you get a protection from red magic card, you find a rare artifact, you get the artifact card.

Possibly, (have to think this out more) cards are played like a spell book, and not at random. Your limiting factor is how much/what type of mana you have left.

Magic cards become treasure/spell cards...this starts to feel a little old school Vancian, but with everyone in the role of "summoner" no one is experiencing balancing issues.

Some cards could be one use only, while others might regen. Perhaps you can keep summoning your new goblin allies, but the Crawl Wurm only comes to your aid once, or the bottle gnome is disposable after drinking his healing elixir.

Down the road, you become plainswalkers where you further specialize your character...

Anyways, there are a LOT of holes in the ideas above. Just throwing some ideas out there to see what sticks.

Hope it helps!

Credit where credit is due: even though I've thought about it many a time- including just using M:tG AS a magic system for a campaign- it was your thread that actually got me thinking about it seriously & practically.

Which is why I'm using HERO instead of some form of D&D.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think I'm going to let players play whatever role they want- IOW, you don't have to play a caster- and I think I know how to handle the colors of magic & mana.

In HERO, PCs physical abilities and powers run off of a stat called Endurance, but it is also possible to have a separate "Endurance Battery/pool" for specific powers.

So for this game, all magical effects will run off of color-specific Endurance pools representing mana. Thus, red spells require at least some red mana, blue spells some blue mana, etc., and the powering of artifacts can use any mana.

These Mana Pools (End Bttys) should be small with a high recharge rate in order to simulate the tapping of land for mana, with said land becoming untapped the next turn.

To determine HOW MUCH colored Mana a spell requires, I'll probably have to use a D&Dism- levels. A spell that requires a single colored mana would be a 1st level spell; one that requires 2 colored mana would be a 2nd level spell, etc.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Using this for overall spell type guidance.

The Five Colors : Magic: The Gathering

Style question: M:tG has versions of spells that cross over from one color to another, but are rare and/or cost more- should I try to simulate that in this campaign?

Possible plotlines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_storylines

Phyrexian invasion/Weatherlight could be interesting...not that I'm going for strict adherence to M:tG canon.

List of races:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_species_in_Magic:_The_Gathering

Which should I stat out for PC races (assuming humans are normal, of course)?

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another open question: what creature abilities do I need to simulate in the game?

I know, for instance, that I absolutely have to do that whole "does not tap"* thing.

What else needs to be included for proper feel, if I can swing it?

* Simulating 'Vigilance/Does not Tap to Attack': Damage Shield, Linked to an attack.

Last edited:

Remove ads