• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Brainstorming Help Needed - The Island of Wizard Moreau

TheMooCow

First Post
So I have an idea for a fun, light-hearted, tongue in cheek, D&D campaign, but I need some help formulating the set up.

The basic idea is that the Wizard Moreau is the magical equivalent of a mad genetic scientist. For years he has been experimenting with creating mutants. Bizarre creatures that combine aspects of many different creatures, or even completely new traits never seen in nature before. The Wizard has enemies, and they catch up with him. The magics unleashed in the battle that leads to his death push several of his creations over the brink to full sentience. These creatures "awaken" to find themselves trapped in their cages with no one to feed them. They must escape, venture into the world, and find their way in what will most certainly be a cruel and shunning world.

The PCs are these creatures. Basic character creation will involve creating a 0th-1st level character, then rolling on a table of mutations to determine how this creature was warped by Moreau. It will be a cascading table - Roll to determine general nature of mutation (body, limb, head, etc), then roll on the appropriate table to determine specific (horns, wings, fur, etc). Some mutations might require a 3rd roll, such as fangs (poisonous or not). Obviously, the more valuable the mutation, the less likely it will occur.

What I need is help coming up with a list of possible mutations to include in the table. I'm looking for mostly physical, but will probably include some minor magical. The larger the list, the more interesting the characters will be. Some examples of what I've already put in:

Extra arms or legs
Tail (secondary roll determine monkey or lizard or scorpian)
Wings
Fur
Exoskeleton
Horns
Fangs
Faceted eyes

So, any thoughts or suggestions folks have are greatly appreciated.

kcrawford

First Post
It would be fun to play with things like intelligence and senses. Be blind but have extreme sense of smell or sonar capabilities. dumb as rock but cat like reflexes.

sent from my Android

Vespucci

First Post
Love the setting, but I don't think the plot does it justice.

A lot of the "bang" you're going to get out of this setting is when the players run into bizarre creatures. If they are bizarre creatures - it might as well be an escape from slave pens inhabited by more mundane humanoids, demi-humans, and humans.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What system are you using? 3Ed, 3.5...adding some 3rd party stuff?

What I'd do is take a close look at the MMs and find all of the templates, and couple that with the Anthropomorphs from Savage Species. But instead of using the Anthros as written, steal a page from Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved game and make them into "Racial Classes" It will involve a little work, but it will be worth it. That way, you could have someone play an Anthro houscat and someone else play an Anthro Polar bear and not have to worry too much about balance issues.

(As for the Templates...Feral and Winged are often considered undervalued at their listed LAs.)

jcbdragon

First Post
Having just re-read the original book, I've been toying with something like this as well, but not from the same angle as yours.

I've been looking at it from a 2e perspective, so not sure if this will help you or not.

There are a series of Familiar Enhancer spells which create modifications in a wizard's familiar. According to the description, they're not actually spells, but researched processes that can then be used on the familiar. In that case, I see no reason why most of those effects couldn't also be applied on other animals of the same species as the familiar.

Something closer to Moreau's creatures could be created by use of an Evolve spell:

Lvl 8, Necromantic
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: Special
Area of Effect: 1 animal
Saving Throw: Negates

With this spell, a wizard can cause a normal animal to evolve and change into an intelligent, basically humanoid lifeform. By using Evolve on multiple specimens and exerting patience a wizard can potentially create an entire race of servant creatures.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads