• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Brainstorming: Search the Deep Library!

WizarDru

Adventurer
And so it came to pass that our heroes managed to locate the fabled Deep Library. Once the repository of the collected knowledge of the Suelwyn race, a heretofore unknown cataclysm of unimaginable power sunk an entire continent beneath the waves of the place men now call The Last Land, leaving only three tiny islands untouched.

At the ocean's floor, they found the remains of the ancient library, smashed beyond repair, two millennia ago. But! Beneath even that, they found that not all was lost. Someone had salvaged much of the library in a series of magically protected coral caves beneath the underwater ruins they called 'The New Wing'. It is to this place they have come seeking knowledge of a ritual to repair a damaged magical defense about the headquarters of their order. With them they have brought a powerful but distracted (and possibly insane) wizard who is a member of their order. To make matters worse, they have discovered that the long dead race of the Suelwyn are not only NOT dead, they are actively seeking to destroy all of the races that followed them...starting with the party!

Unbeknownst to them, the Head Librarian is...an Aboleth. Evil, but not a protagonist, the Librarian seeks only restoration of peace within his walls. But with the party and the marauding Suelwyn running crazily through the place, he's loosing his patience. And he has awakened Riding Sharks at his disposal for Hall Monitors.

Now, the Suelwyn are, in fact, Foulspawn. There's a long campaign backstory for all of this, but that's not really important now. The players are about to engage a raiding party in combat. But after that, I want them to do a skill challenge to search the library. I'm looking for suggestions as to what the challenge might be like.

I was originally thinking that they'd meet the librarian and then go searching...but now I think I want their encounter with the librarian to be an RP goal that contributes to the greater overall skill challenge of finding the ritual books they need. I'm also thinking that the wizard they're babysitting should be a problem for them. I'm trying to avoid more than one combat, unless they are moderately trivial ones.

Any suggestions for individual skill checks that might be logical in such a situation?

DayTripper

Explorer
We did a library search skill challenge recently. Worked quite well, took place over a couple of days and used skills like:

- Arcana, the obvious one to understand the library classification system, understand books, scrolls, etc
- Perception, spotting collections of books, noting class numbers, noticing the concealed bookshelf, searching piles of books, etc
- History, knowing about authors and subjects passed from recent memory which could help in locating areas to search
- Religion, similar to history but depends on what type of rituals the party are looking for so could be used in addition to aracna too
- Diplomacy, see if you can convince the librarian to lend you a hand searching or give you a clue
- Intimidate, see if you can threaten the librarian to help (risky!)
- Athlectics, clambering up bookshelves to reach the top ones
- Thievery, steal a key or something from the librarian to give access through a door to another part of the library or to a secret stash
- Stealth, sneak past the librarian into a forbidden area
- Intuition, get a good feeling about where to search in the library (may not be a success but could grant a bonus

Failing the skill challenge (which we did thanks to some crap dice rolls) means you only get some information - and it your example Wizardru probably attacked either the by the librarian or by riding sharks. Success obviously means you get all the information you were looking for.

DeadDM

First Post
Maybe,...

1. tell them they need to find 5 specific books. DC30 search (or appropriate for level). If they fail inform them they succeeded. Any failed attempts is a cursed book that looks authentic. Most likely only one player will be cursed, hopefully they will check all books for magic curses after the first character fails.
2. Then they must place the 5 books in a specific order. Each book fits in a circle (5 sided). The wrong order should produce a negative event (curse, summoned monster, etc...). To figure out the order DC30-40 knowledge (arcana). Failure means they put them in the wrong order and produces a negative event.
--order of books: each book has a different number on each side from 1 to 20. The answer is 1, 3, 5, 7, 9.

I can't think of a suitable clue right now. But they should get a clue after the first attempt and each attempt thereafter. Maybe make the negative event progressively harder with each new failure.

I think I'll use this in my campaign with my players soon to search for some old libraries in search of an artificat located somewhere on one of the layers of the Abyss.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Thanks for your suggestions. The library battle and then skill challenge went well. The characters would have loved to spend a week there, but the Aboleth Head Librarian had no intention of allowing THAT. After a 6/3 skill challenge, they located the books they needed (and were allowed to copy enough material to earn two rituals as treasure parcels).

Great stuff!

Remove ads