• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Breakdown of Spell Saves, Condition Inflicted, and Damage Type by Class

OptionalRule

Adventurer
I did some parsing of data from the 477 spells in 5e across the PHB, XGtE, and TCoE and aggregated some results I hope people will find interesting.

It includes a breakdown of the count of spells by save types by class, damage type by class, and conditions inflicted by class.

5e Spell Save & Damage Breakdown - Optional Rule

Mostly I did this for fun, but a few interesting things jumped out at me. What is your take?

squibbles

Adventurer
Interesting how over represented the Cleric is in Charisma saves--more than the Wizard and more than it targets any other save.

Also interesting that so many fewer spells deal slashing (6) than deal bludgeoning (26), which is the 2nd most common after fire.

Finally, I'm surprised that only 3 spells in the game inflict the poisoned condition. Seems silly for so many creatures to be immune to it, then eh?

OptionalRule

Adventurer
Interesting how over represented the Cleric is in Charisma saves--more than the Wizard and more than it targets any other save.

Also interesting that so many fewer spells deal slashing (6) than deal bludgeoning (26), which is the 2nd most common after fire.

Finally, I'm surprised that only 3 spells in the game inflict the poisoned condition. Seems silly for so many creatures to be immune to it, then eh?
True, there are a number of surprised in there. Some of it shows what a waste of effort some of these resistances are.

squibbles

Adventurer
True, there are a number of surprised in there. Some of it shows what a waste of effort some of these resistances are.
Ya.

I mean, surely, there can't be more than two or three class features that inflict the poisoned condition. The only one that comes to mind atm is the way of mercy monk. Which means that all those demons and devils are mostly just immune to each-other's poison effects.

Curious that the designers did that.

Remove ads