• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Brew Potion or Craft Wondrous Item?

Methos

Explorer
I'm going to be at the 6th character level very soon, and will be a 1/1/4 Cleric/Fighter/Wizard at that point. Going forward, I will be taking all of my levels in Wizard (no consideration of prestige classes at this point).

I am undecided as to whether I should take the Brew Potion Feat or Craft Wondrous Item Feat when I reach 6th level. The only other really important fact in the campaign that I play in, is that the DM severely limits a character's ability to purchase magic items (even lowly Cure Light Wound potions). For the most part, magic items are not available for purchase ever,

Also, there are no other clerics in the group of 6 that I play with, which is the main reason that I took a level of cleric at 1st level since we needed to be able to survive. Also, note that when I hit 7th level, I will then be a 5th level Wizard, and was planning on taking the Craft Wand feat at that level.

Any advice that folks could give would be appreciated as to which feat to take at 6th level, with both long and short term considerations.

Thanks

Crothian

First Post
Short term brew potions would be more useful. Potions are easier to make and use the lower levels spells you will have more often. How ever, Craft Wondrous items is by far the most versatile item creation feat. It can use all levels of spells and the items are not one use only.

James McMurray

First Post
I would say craft wondrous item, or perhaps craft wand. If you can talk your DM into letting you make a glove with 50 charges of cure light wounds go for it. If you can alk him into one with cure light wounds unlimited usage by the formula, go for it. You'll probably need it with no cleric and no ability to purchase items.

Methos

Explorer
Reply to Romotre

Thanks for your replies.

Right now, my total bonus to alchemy checks is 6. Of course, at the next level, I can increase that since I will have 6 more skill points at the next level.

James McMurray

First Post
With alchemy you can make a healing salve. I don't remember the exact DC or amount of healing, but if the DC and cost are low enough, it could be useful.

James McMurray said:
With alchemy you can make a healing salve. I don't remember the exact DC or amount of healing, but if the DC and cost are low enough, it could be useful.

Firstly you'd have to have (access to) Tome & Blood, which I'd seriously recomend to any aspiring Wizard. Doubly so if you're into Alchemy and carrying around lots 'o scrolls or wands (ie: Bandoliers).

Healing Salve (T&B p. 72) is DC 25, with +2 to Alchemy Checks if you have 5 ranks (not total bonus) of Profession (Herbalist). 1d8 per dose, 25gp to make (50gp base)

If you have, or just have access to, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting then I might suggest Magical Artificer (p.36) for a feat, perhaps linked to Scribe Scroll. Those higher level scrolls really start to add up in costs, wouldn't it be great to have them and only pay 75% cost in gp and Exp? Almost as good as having that many more 'slots' to memorize. Not to mention doing wonders for the rep you'd have of "The Wizard that's always prepared for anything!", always important when you're negotiating for a bigger cut 'o the loot ;)

If you don't have those books and/or just aren't interested in either Feat I'd like to suggest getting Craft Wand at 5th and something else at 6th. Having the ability to craft those Cure Light Wounds Wands will greatly improve your odds of making it to the higher levels. Not to mention it'd let you, if you so choose, to take Magical Artificer for Wands, thus cutting back on the cost for the CLW (among others) wands.

Hatchling Dragon

Last edited:

Remove ads