• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bribing Players during PCGen

nimisgod

LEW Judge
In the last campaign I ran I had the following rules for Chargen:
[sblock]Ability Scores: 22 Point buy
Additional bonuses for point-buy:
+2 points for writing a back-story (Deadline: December 14)
+2 points for writing a strong connection to Surrion (the God of True Light)
+2 points for writing a strong, positive connection/relationship to another Player Character (can be done up to 2 times for a maximum of +4)
Note: Maximum of 30 point buy [/sblock]

In this sense, I endorse benefits to players who play characters that fit the desired setting but I would refrain from applying penalties to off-key characters (mages in a low-magic campaign) - the lack of benefit is punishment enough. The exception here is if the character option would totally undermine the themes of the setting (mages in a no-magic campaign). You may as well disallow that option to begin with.

That said, I would caution against high point buy values if you play 4E - it makes certain crazy concepts too viable.

On another game I ran, I talked to my players and they all agreed to not only have characters from only two races but also to playing only martial (non-magical) characters - this is made especially easier bec. 4E has non-magical healers. Dialogue is the best option but I usually shy away of hard control like that (as opposed to sharp control) as a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:

Remove ads