• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Brilliant Energy Arrow, bypass spells?

emoplato

First Post
Since brilliant energy says it avoids any non-living matter would that mean spells like control winds and air-like spells/abilities would be ignored as well?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Since brilliant energy says it avoids any non-living matter would that mean spells like control winds and air-like spells/abilities would be ignored as well?

I don't see why not, does a ray of light get blocked or deflected by the wind? Unlikely. Now if you're talking about the weapon enchanted with the energy being affected, that is a separate issue...

Sekhmet

First Post
Strong enough wind can cause atmospheric distortion which can alter the path of light very slightly.

Also, no. The Brilliant Energy description says it does not ignore deflection bonuses (Protection from Evil, Rings of Protection, etc), which suggests that magic affects it normally.

emoplato

First Post
Strong enough wind can cause atmospheric distortion which can alter the path of light very slightly.

Also, no. The Brilliant Energy description says it does not ignore deflection bonuses (Protection from Evil, Rings of Protection, etc), which suggests that magic affects it normally.
Admittedly I made the title for attention but I am just asking about things like I mentioned in the post. I understand those things still protect, but those you can still theoretically hit the person.

Ashtagon

Adventurer
Generally, weather effects can be ignored, if they are purely due to wind. However, if rain or airborne particles are involved, all bets are off, since those also affect your ability to aim accurately.

Tomn

First Post
No, it would still be affected. The description of the Brilliant Energy weapon quality says that only part of the weapon is changed into light "such as its blade, axe head, or arrowhead". That means that all of the rest of the arrow (including the tail feathers, which most affect how it is guided) is still subjected to the effects of wind and similar problems. If the weapon were completely composed of energy, I would say that it does bypass such effects, but that just isn't the case.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Just get a Force Bow or Hank's Energy Bow. If it's core only, don't play an archer unless your DM allows some sort of recourse from how stupidly pathetically easy it is to completely shut you down with mid level spells.

Sekhmet

First Post
Just get a Force Bow or Hank's Energy Bow. If it's core only, don't play an archer unless your DM allows some sort of recourse from how stupidly pathetically easy it is to completely shut you down with mid level spells.

That second sentence is very important. In core, Archers are very, very weak.

emoplato

First Post
No, it would still be affected. The description of the Brilliant Energy weapon quality says that only part of the weapon is changed into light "such as its blade, axe head, or arrowhead". That means that all of the rest of the arrow (including the tail feathers, which most affect how it is guided) is still subjected to the effects of wind and similar problems. If the weapon were completely composed of energy, I would say that it does bypass such effects, but that just isn't the case.
Ah, shoot I wasn't planning on using the enhancement but the Champions of Ruin spell. I know a +4 isn't worth getting if about a third of the enemies become immune. A spell I thought it might be worth to play with the wording for pinch situations, but there goes that idea. I guess there really isn't any way to salvage that property.

Remove ads