• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bringing back wizard flexibility

Crowley42

First Post
Well as far as I can tell, and I've read the rules a couple times to make sure, wizards are still decently flexible. They have the ability to choose 2 dailies and utilities each time they get them or three if they take the expanded spellbook feat. And as a result they have a couple of choices of spells to prepare each day where they can choose for example one spell of each level they have choices from so while they have say 2 level 1 dailies, 2 level 2 utilities, and 2 level 5 dailies they prepare one choice from each pair daily.

Well I like that they are trying to save some of the wizard's previous flexiblility and enjoyment but I feel, and I believe alot are in agreeance, that they dont have enough spells, and that loosing spells for higher level ones hinders the realistic use of a spellbook.

I am thinking of a solution to this problem. First I believe low level spells should be kept as they are written into a spell book and there is no reason they shouldnt be available. Doing this causes problem when you get to higher levels. Why should I keep them? They don't scale. I won't ever use them. My answer: Scale them minorly much as at-wills are so are still useful even if not as useful as the newer higher level ones. Secondly Their level should not change as a result of this but rather a level 28 with 4 dailies will have a bunch available but should only be able to choose 4 to prepare.

This adds to the variety of spells a wizard has available and keeps them all worth while enough that it may be a tough choice of what daily to prepare at higher levels. But this still brings with it a hindrence. If wizards are keeping spells then what about low level encounter powers? They cant have 6 different encounters each day where other classes still only have 4. This is true as a result there will be more book-keeping. Wizards have always had the book keeping so why not bring it back into 4e :). So here what you do just like when they have to prepare dailies and utilities they must prepare encounters when they obtain more than 4. Another workin of this system would be to cause the expanded spellbook feat to allow a second encounter power choice as well as the the third daily and utility choice.

Personally I like the idea of a high level wizard wondeirng what he should choose for his powers and I know a lot of the spells, especially attacks, have basically replacement powers for you at higher levels. Oh you need to get rid of level 3 encounter thats electric take this higher level electric spell instead. But they dont all have the same effect. Bursts, balls of flame, single target attacks should be options. This trend in the 4e book also removes alot of the actual variety anyways. So, as a final and additional solution to this I believe that new spells must be created in a good abundance for these new rules.

It is good to remind you of one point after all that. You would still only be able to prepare ONE spell of any given level. Jest because you have lots of spells and were allowing lots of choices does not mean you can prepare all you level 5 dailies instead of anything else. This however may be up to discussion with the DM, perhaps he or she would not mind you wasting all daily preps on multiple fireballs.

Anyways thats the idea thats been running through my head and I know its a big undertaking and I know I will not get to it soon but I would like to throw the idea around with you guys to get it fleshed out ahead of time anyways. Let me knopw what you think.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads