• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bringing Divination up to par

Eldragon

First Post
I want to make a suite of new divination spells so it will no longer be the red-headed stepchild of the arcane schools.

It seems to me that a spellschool that gives the caster the ability to see into the future should have no problem coming up with some good utility spells and good combat spells.

I tried going through all my books, but I failed to find anything worthwhile.

Perhaps the creative people on these boards can put together some Divination spells such that it makes the school just as good as the other arcane schools. Of course this means that school specilization rules would be simplified a bit as well.

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
True strike and moment of prescience not good enough for you? ;)

Another good source for divination-themed abilities would be to look at the Clarsentience psionic powers, such as precognition, defensive, precognition, offensive, prescience, offensive and second chance.

Quickleaf

Legend
Here's one I made for my campaign. Cheers!

Auspice
Divination
Level: 2
Components: V, S, M
Duration: See text
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: 0
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

This spell determines the most auspicious time for a single action. This “window of opportunity” is typically a single day when the stars are auspiciously aligned, though it could be as small as a few hours (such as a thief awaiting the changing of the guard) or as long as a whole week (for a mother trying to get pregnant). Anyone attempting this action at the auspicious time, and who is aware that it is the auspicious time gains a +4 bonus to all rolls pursuing the action in question during the “window of opportunity.” If the caster or chosen character attempts the action at any other time, they suffer a -4 penalty to all applicable rolls. Though any number of people can learn the auspicious moment, only one person gains the bonus during the “window of opportunity.” This person is chosen at the time of casting.

Corlon

First Post
definitely not a bad school.

It only requires you to give up necromancy to specialize in, and it provides A LOT of information to the party.

It's one of the most annoying schools for foiling dm traps.

I could go on, but I think it's a worthwhile school.

Knowledge=Power

Shallown

First Post
I had some somewhere I will hunt up. They basically granted insight bonuses to hit, Ac and saves. Sort of like a true strike over several rounds. They compared to Cleric buffing spells and such. I also had some that helped using social skills and such. I'll huntthem down for you if I have time tonight.

later

Eldragon

First Post
Its not that I dont like the current crop of divination spells, its that a spellcaster specializing in divination really lacks choices. Almost all the divination spells fall into the category or scouting, identifying, finding, and speaking. Each category is quite useful, but a caster really only needs one of each per day.

Here are a couple of Ideas I had. I would like some input on the apropriate level/duration before I type up proper descriptions:

Foresight - The caster can see a few moments into the future. Allowing her to to know where an opponent will be moments in the future. For the duration of this spell, The caster can ignore the Dodge AC of any target. Duration 10 Min/lvl. Level 4

Insightful Shifting - This spell grants the caster a +2 Dodge bonus to AC. Furthermore, the caster cannot be caught flat footed for the duration of this spell. 10 Min/lvl Level 2

Moment of Prescience, Lesser - Like Moment of Prescience, except the maximum bonus is limited to +10. Level 3

Conjecture - The caster can reroll any one single attack roll, opposed ability or skill check, or saving throw. When the reroll occurs, the new result must be taken. When this ability is used, the spell ends. 1 Hour/lvl Level 1.

ARandomGod

First Post
There are lots of preexisting good divination spells. You just have to go look at the Psion handbook to find them. But, translate away, and there you have a pretty filled up school of magic.

Remove ads