Broadchurch vs. Gracepoint

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It was a commercial station? Well, that's still an issue. In the UK, commercial stations are limited to about 7 minutes of ads per hour. Meanwhile, in the US, we get about 18 minutes of ads. So, in general, each show would have to lose about 11 minutes to fit into the one-hour slot, right? The original episodes might not be able to survive that without rewrites and reshooting anyway.

Yup. Like I said, it's all about scheduling. We don't really do the "one hours slots" thing I get the impression you guys tend to do, either. A show might be scheduled at 8.25pm one week, 8.35pm the next week, 8.10pm the week after, and show lengths can vary from week to week (though not typically enormously so).

Elf Witch

First Post
Nah, you're misunderstanding me. The nationality of the show has little to with it. Americans aren't dumb. It's scheduling. They want to be able to make 10 years of it (if it proves popular), because that's the American TV model. They can't do that with a single ITV one-off TV series of 10 episodes. ITV ain't gonna make 10 series of it.

You'll see what I mean. If it's successful, they'll make another series next year.

I now see what you are saying. And you are right but for some reason Gracepoint is different as of this time is said to be a a limited series.

Though I have read that ITV is thinking of doing a second series of Broadchurch.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
You know, I am watching episode 2 and I am having trouble with it keeping my interest. I think that is my official response.

Remove ads