• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Broken HiPS?

melkorspawn

First Post
If a character is a Shadow Dancer with 2 levels of Telflammar Shadowlord (Forgotten Realms - Unapproachable East) does the Shadow Blur special ability fulfill the prerequisites for HiPS?

ARandomGod

First Post
melkorspawn said:
If a character is a Shadow Dancer with 2 levels of Telflammar Shadowlord (Forgotten Realms - Unapproachable East) does the Shadow Blur special ability fulfill the prerequisites for HiPS?

I've seen plently of people say yes.

It's simple, if you're the GM and you don't like it, don't allow that combination. If you're a player considering Shadow Dancer, have an extensive talk with your GM before attempting the class. If you're a GM and you hear that a player is going to take that PrC, have an extensive talk with that player to iron out the possibilities before they come up.

A warlocks darkness incantation would almost certainly work too. Of course, there are a number of ways to potentially interpret how the shaow-dancer's HiPS is limited. What, exactly, ARE shadows? This can be answered in a myriad of different ways.

Sejs

First Post
I don't have my copy of UE handy at the moment - for us bookless folks, what does Shadow Blur do, pray tell?

Iku Rex

Explorer
melkorspawn said:
Of course. The shadowdancer can HiPS within 10' of some sort of shadow. When using the shadow blur ability "shadows cloak his every movement". Clearly the character must be within 10' of "some sort of shadow" if "shadows cloak his every movement". I fail to see how this can be even remotely ambiguous.

Beyond that, ARandomGod gives good advice.

Iku Rex said:
Of course. The shadowdancer can HiPS within 10' of some sort of shadow. When using the shadow blur ability "shadows cloak his every movement". Clearly the character must be within 10' of "some sort of shadow" if "shadows cloak his every movement". I fail to see how this can be even remotely ambiguous.

I can see an arguement based on the fact that a Shadow Dancer cannot hide in their own shadow. I haven't read the exact text of the shadow blur ability, but from your quote I think the shadows it creates could be considered belonging to the Shadow Dancer.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
I agree with DG.

SRD 3.5 said:
She cannot, however, hide in her own shadow.

The Shadow Blur ability belongs to the character, and as such is "her own shadow".

Andargor

I'll just again state the faux-serious ruling that, since the core rules never define what a 'shadow' is except for a low-HD undead creature, then you can only hide in plain sight if you are nearby undead shadows. But not your own, which makes the Shadowdancer's ability to gain a shadow companion kinda bogus.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Deset Gled said:
I can see an arguement based on the fact that a Shadow Dancer cannot hide in their own shadow. I haven't read the exact text of the shadow blur ability, but from your quote I think the shadows it creates could be considered belonging to the Shadow Dancer.
Based on a quote stating that "shadows" (plural) cloak your every movement you think it's reasonable to rule that these shadows are/is "your own shadow". On account of how the rule doesn't explicitly say that they're not.

I'm sorry people, but that's just plain silly. :D

Here's the full ability:
Unapproachable East said:
Shadow blur (Su): At 2nd level the Telflammar shadowlord gains an unusual defense - anytime he's not in daylight or the illuminated radius of a light source, the shadows cloak his every movement, conferring the benefits of a blur spell. The shadowlord can choose to activate or end this ability as a free action.
And while I'm at it:
SRD said:
Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot, however, hide in her own shadow.
Personally I have a hard time seeing why the shadow blur ability would even be needed to HiPS. As far as I can tell it [shadow blur, that is] only works in shadowy conditions in the first place. :confused:

Last edited:

Remove ads