• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Broken? The popsicle/marshmellow attack

DanChops

First Post
I can't check at the moment (at work and the Compendium seems to be down) but doesn't the Demigod ability specify "Attack Encounter Powers"? And isn't the Dragonborn breath weapon a "Dragonborn Feature" power (as opposed to, say, a "Fighter Attack 1" power.)

If that's the case, then it seems that Divine Miracle may not be applicable to Dragonborn breath weapons.

Runestar

First Post
The PHB says "encounter power". It may well have been intended to apply only to encounter attack powers from your class, but currently as written, it applies to any encounter power (eg: highlighted with a red tag) you got from anywhere, be it a racial power or even a class feature such as healing word.

tiornys

Explorer
I can't check at the moment (at work and the Compendium seems to be down) but doesn't the Demigod ability specify "Attack Encounter Powers"? And isn't the Dragonborn breath weapon a "Dragonborn Feature" power (as opposed to, say, a "Fighter Attack 1" power.)

If that's the case, then it seems that Divine Miracle may not be applicable to Dragonborn breath weapons.
From the DDI Compendium: "Divine Miracle (30th level): When you have expended your last remaining encounter power, you regain the use of one encounter power of your choice. In this way, you never run out of encounter powers."

So, no, this isn't technically limited to attack powers. Of course, this is hardly the most broken abuse of Divine Miracle. For example, an elf with Pray for More (Astral Weapon Utility 12) and a Vorpal Weapon can spam Elven Accuracy on each attack until a 20 is rolled, then switch to spamming Pray for More on the damage rolls until they have enough damage to kill whatever they attacked (since Vorpal lets you infinitely explode damage dice that roll max).

Pretty sure most DM's will disallow that one, but it works RAW.

t~

Last edited:

SweeneyTodd

First Post
(I really got a kick about the initial quote talking about how Divine Miracle was probably unbalanced. Yeah, it's a miracle, it's a carrot to get to level 30. balance has nothing to do with it.)

Honestly, though, it does give me an idea. A Demigod Dragonborn, standing at the gates of hell, breathing his flame in a neverending torrent to hold back the demon hordes. He never stops, never rests. It's a whole new Atlas myth born out of a loophole! That's pretty cool.

Last edited:

SweeneyTodd

First Post
Actually, I've changed my mind. Heck with it, I wouldn't disallow this after all.

At the demigod level, this means if a fight's gone on long enough, you can always end it by spamming your nastiest power every round. The idea that "you have to kill a demigod pretty quick, otherwise they'll get bored of toying with you and just annihilate you" kinda fits. And the idea that you can do it forever, as long as you never stop, means that the gods/primordials are probably each looking for some faithful, pseudo-munchkiny followers to rise to 30th level and become walking atomic bombs on their side of the fight.

I think this means if your PC becomes a Demigod, you probably want to fight to avoid this fate. :)

Runestar

First Post
For example, an elf with Pray for More (Astral Weapon Utility 12) and a Vorpal Weapon can spam Elven Accuracy on each attack until a 20 is rolled

Technically speaking, elven accuracy says to "use the 2nd roll", so by a literal reading, you must use the 2nd result, regardless of how many times you do reroll.;)

tiornys

Explorer
Technically speaking, elven accuracy says to "use the 2nd roll", so by a literal reading, you must use the 2nd result, regardless of how many times you do reroll.;)
Ah, but when I reroll the elven accuracy roll, I'm (arguably) in a new set of rolls, of which I plan to use the 2nd, etc., so my literal cheese can trump your literal anti-cheese :D

t~

Shabe

First Post

I roll a dice.
I use a power to reroll
2nd roll.
I use a power to reroll the 2nd roll
2nd roll in relation to the 2nd use of reroll.

It doesn't fall down on the 2nd roll reading, it falls down from the fact that you haven't used the reroll power until you've accepted the reroll, by which point you've accepted the roll and can't reroll it unless you had a different reroll power, but then you haven't got unlimited rerolls.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads