• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Broken? The popsicle/marshmellow attack

occam

Adventurer
So, no, this isn't technically limited to attack powers. Of course, this is hardly the most broken abuse of Divine Miracle. For example, an elf with Pray for More (Astral Weapon Utility 12) and a Vorpal Weapon can spam Elven Accuracy on each attack until a 20 is rolled, then switch to spamming Pray for More on the damage rolls until they have enough damage to kill whatever they attacked (since Vorpal lets you infinitely explode damage dice that roll max).

Pretty sure most DM's will disallow that one, but it works RAW.

Ouch. Seems Divine Miracle should at least be limited to once per round.

DanChops

First Post
I can't check at the moment (at work and the Compendium seems to be down) but doesn't the Demigod ability specify "Attack Encounter Powers"? And isn't the Dragonborn breath weapon a "Dragonborn Feature" power (as opposed to, say, a "Fighter Attack 1" power.)

If that's the case, then it seems that Divine Miracle may not be applicable to Dragonborn breath weapons.

Yup, just got home and checked the PHB and confirmed that my memory does indeed suck. That'll teach me to jump into discussions without having the books on hand. :-S

Last edited:

Storminator

First Post
If my PC were about to "age out" because I'm already at 30th level, I doubt I'd be worried about spamming an encounter power.

Shouldn't I be unraveling the universe or slaying gods or cleansing the Abyss or something?

And don't you only get to do this for a very short time before you level up one last time?

PS

Jhaelen

First Post
So, is that not the most broken thing you've seen in 4th edition? Or do you disagree that it's broken at all? Anybody else find something massively broken?
No. Yes. Probably.

Why worry about potential brokenness at level 30? Unless you're going to start at level 30 it's a non-issue. I'm probably going to wrap up my campaign at level 20 anyway. I've never been fond of 'epic' stuff.

Stalker0

Legend
I don't think we have enough experience at epic levels to see how "epic" its supposed to be. I mean, as others have mentioned, 30th level is the ultimate character, you should be freakin awesome!!

The only thing is it does seem like the demigod is just a better epic destiny than any of the others so that's a concern, but I don't think this breath every round thing is crazy broken.

Runestar

First Post
Shouldn't I be unraveling the universe or slaying gods or cleansing the Abyss or something?

Yes and no.

Monsters apparently scale at a linear level, which means that lv30 foes should be as tough vs the lv30 PCs as lv29 foes are to lv29 PCs. Demigod30 seems to offer a very significant jump in power, so unless lv30 foes were also ratcheted upwards to compensate...

This problem may also occur if you are using multiple foes of lower than lv30 against a lv30 party.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Well, if you switch your standard and move actions to minor actions and this nets you (at least) three attacks a round with a +6 attack modifier doing 3d6 + Con modifier damage, which is pretty spectacular (since it becomes essentially an at will that's about as good as a wizard's meteor swarm), especially given that you can use Con for your attack roll as well.
Oh no! not more powerful than a power that sucks awfully!

Anyway - take a look at what other things you can do with demigod. There are a bunch of encounter powers that render encounters a cakewalk if you can use them at will. Imagine dance of death every round... Or confusion! Banish to the void? Incite heroism? Warlords doom?

They're all terribly terribly broken if you can do them every round.

IIRC though, there are some non-attack powers that are more broken.

Long story short: the 30th level powers were not (surprise surprise!) tested extensively.

Runestar

First Post
I wouldn't be surprised if epic was not even playtested at all.

Given the current trend of multiclassing, it seems like heroic tier was playtested fairly extensively (since the 4 MC feats are still fairly useful, and there are few, if any combinations that are outright broken), paragon so-so (considering the disaster that is paragon multiclassing), and very little playtest for epic (seeing as that is where all the broken combos like twin strike+2W-flurry, seal of binding+regen or orb-wizards).

Remove ads