• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Brutal Seething Surge

Halma

First Post
My group has a question about this Monte Cook spell...?

Is it broken in your opinions?

Brutal Seething Surge
Evocation [Acid]
Level: Wiz/Sor 3
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature or Object touched
Duration: Permanent until discharged
Saving Throw: Fortitude Partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

This does 1d8 points of Acid damage +1 per level with no limit with no save for the damage. Also you get 1 attack for every level. Plus the subject touched has to make a Fort save or be dazed for 1d3 rounds. At 15th lvl. Shorty, my character in Wulf Ratbane's campaign, gets 15 of these. In conjunction with Haste and Spectral hand, this is almost a game breaker.... I would like you opinions on this spell please.

Thanks

Halma "The Dead Barbarian"
Shorty "Chain Lightning oh and another Chain Lightning"

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Where does it say one attack per level? The stat block reads "Creature or Object touched", in the singular, meaning one target.

For a single-target spell, I think it may be slightly overpowered for a 3rd level spell, because the lack of a damage cap is a huge plus at high levels. If it really does hit one target per level, it's definitely overpowered.

Crothian

First Post
It 's one attack per level, I just read the spell which can be found in BoEM2.

So, at 15th spellcaster level you do 1d8+15, and a possibi;lity of dazing. Well, you do have to make a melee attack and then they get a saving throw. I image the DC is around 21 or so for this third level spell. Sure, you get a bunch of chances to hit, but the wizard has to get in melee and has to rely on his own ability to hit. I don't think this spell is unbalanced at all, but I've yet to see it in play.

Halma

First Post
AuraSeer said:
Where does it say one attack per level? The stat block reads "Creature or Object touched", in the singular, meaning one target.

For a single-target spell, I think it may be slightly overpowered for a 3rd level spell, because the lack of a damage cap is a huge plus at high levels. If it really does hit one target per level, it's definitely overpowered.

In the block of text that i didn't include it says that you get one such attack per level. I didn't want to include the whole text for Copy right issues....

That is the general argument in the group... Now Shorty gets 1D8+15 and make the Creature make a Fort Save with a DC of 24, or be stunned 1d3 rounds. So if hasted and in conjunction with Spectral hand, Shorty can do 4 of these in two rounds. Damage 32 for the First round, and 64 total for the Second round. Plus 4 Fort saves.......

Thanks for your response....

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I don't see the damage as overpowering. Even with Haste, it is 1d8+15 twice, and you have to hit with the touch attack. It's the dazed effect that could wipe out your enemies, although most of the fighter types should have a good Fort save. Perhaps 1 touch attack per level is a bit much, although Chill Touch operates like this.

How exactly is this spell hurting your campaign?

Happiest_Sadist

First Post
By now you have more destructive spells at your disposal, this takes a lot of time to deliver. So it's good when you have lots of time, but few spell slots. However at high levels the problem is reversed. You have lots of spellslots and very little time. In any major battle, you'd be better off using your time to cast multiple fireballs and prismatic sprays than deliver 1 of these.

Halma

First Post
Happiest_Sadist said:
By now you have more destructive spells at your disposal, this takes a lot of time to deliver. So it's good when you have lots of time, but few spell slots. However at high levels the problem is reversed. You have lots of spellslots and very little time. In any major battle, you'd be better off using your time to cast multiple fireballs and prismatic sprays than deliver 1 of these.

But the spell is permante untill Discharged, doesn't that mean that Shorty could concievably cast this spell at the beginning of combat and then save it for later use when my "Fireball , and Lightning bolt" line have been waisted? Being a Sorcerer and all....

Oh I am not disagreeing with any of this, its my group that has a problem with the spell.

Halma

First Post
Dr. Zoom said:
I don't see the damage as overpowering. Even with Haste, it is 1d8+15 twice, and you have to hit with the touch attack. It's the dazed effect that could wipe out your enemies, although most of the fighter types should have a good Fort save. Perhaps 1 touch attack per level is a bit much, although Chill Touch operates like this.

How exactly is this spell hurting your campaign?

I don't find it hurting at all... But Dinkeldog, my DM, seems to thinkg that it is broken....

But now if I crit with this spell it does quite a bit of Damage, accompany that with a Fort save of 24 then you have yourself a damn fine spell....

Crothian

First Post
Halma said:

But the spell is permante untill Discharged, doesn't that mean that Shorty could concievably cast this spell at the beginning of combat and then save it for later use when my "Fireball , and Lightning bolt" line have been waisted? Being a Sorcerer and all....

I was under the impression that when holding a spell charge like that you were unable to cast other spells. I may be wrong, and I don't have any books right now to back it up, but that's what my impression was.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads