• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bugbears are Easy Kills (Play-Test)

ren1999

First Post
In support of your claim, I have never gouged myself with my toothbrush. :D

When you put it like that I understand why many of your are pushing automatic success. But I didn't think we were talking about skill challenges that weren't challenging.

I'm saying picking locks should never be an automatic success because the lock pick could break off in the lock.

Swimming across water could be challenging if you're wounded.

Of course brushing your teeth doesn't even merit a skill roll.

Quickleaf

Legend
When you put it like that I understand why many of your are pushing automatic success. But I didn't think we were talking about skill challenges that weren't challenging.

I'm saying picking locks should never be an automatic success because the lock pick could break off in the lock.

Swimming across water could be challenging if you're wounded.

Of course brushing your teeth doesn't even merit a skill roll.

If the thief was in a hurry and didn't have proper tools, they might end up raking (which is where you insert a pick with a wide tip all the way to the back of the plug, then pull our the pick quickly so that it bounces all of the pins up on its way out). This could break the pick.

However, in a low pressure scenario with sufficient time and proper tools, a lock with pins shouldn't be too difficult (unless it's been specially designed or is *magic*). A skilled thief would have a sense of the right pressure, be able to feel the moving pins and plug, and know the sounds to listen for. Breaking the pick or the tension wrench would probably only happen if they were under pressure.

At least that's from my layman's understanding.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads