• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Build Advice - Arcane Trickster/Warlock?

SailorNash

Explorer
I had an idea for something I'd like to play, but want to make sure it's feasible. Or at least iron out any problems before becoming the weak link that gets my party killed.

I want to try a magical thief. I began an Arcane Trickster in an earlier campaign, and absolutely ADORE the invisihand. That plus Minor Illusion has been great fun for me. But I don't seem to care much for the sneak attack mechanic, and the few times I've tried to use a spell instead of just Mage Handing my way out of a situation have all ended badly. Just not enough there, especially with the lower DCs. Given the choice, I'd rather just talk my way out of a situation.

I'm also looking at Warlock, and see huge potential there. High DEX, high CHA class with neat invocations and rituals. Pact Magic would be great socially, as you'd only need a charm once an hour or so (as opposed to a fireball each round). I wasn't fond of it when trying to play one as a full caster, but as a roguish half-caster it seems like it'd be perfect. The problems there are the forced occult flavoring, and a different casting stats.

I could beg a DM to let me trade Sneak Attack for invocations, cast from CHA instead of INT, swap patron favors for Experience or the like, but I don't like breaking the rules of it can be helped. My thoughts on multiclassing were that the low-level INT slots could be used for Hex or similar spells, and my enchantments and illusions powered by my Pact Magic and CHA. Even a small Rogue dip would give you Experience and Cunning Action, whereas losing Warlock levels is easier than Rogue as Eldritch Blast attacks scale with level instead of SA dice. And the level 5 Extra Attack is missing from both, so makes it easier to split the two.

Sound workable? Probably would go Rogue 3/Warlock 2 and not sure where I'd build it from there. Any thoughts as to problems with this build? Things I should be aiming for? Or am I trying to cram in too many things all at once?

bid

First Post
Rogue 2 / bladelock 5 seems like a great base even if you cannot use the extra attack for ranged weapons.

I think that will give you the flavor you are looking for, and you can push to rogue 15 / bladelock 5 to maximize SA. Or you can split close to AT 10 / bladelock 10 to have more slots and still get 5 ASI.

MadPuppy

Explorer
I like this build and have a current Arcane Trickster Level 3, that is about to level up. I intend to go Warlock (fey). As the charm type effects fit nicely.

Leaning towards tomelock as I advance. I like the idea of a lot of cantrips.
The Warlock stuff I intend to use the attack spells (eldritch blast, Hex, Arms of hadar), and stay with illusion/charm type effects with the arcane trickster.
I'm eying the invocations:
Devils sight
Agonizing blast/repelling blast
Mask of many faces (free's a spell slot in the AT)
Misty visions (free's a spell slot in the AT)
One with shadows
Book of ancient secrets

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I've had a lot of fun with a Rogue 3 (arcane trickster)/Warlock 5 (Great Old One/chain pact)/Bard 1. He's a thief by any other name.

Mask of Many Faces is so useful for a spy/trickster character, it's just silly. Add in Expertise (Deception) and Advantage on Deception checks from the Actor feat, and it slides into absurd. Then throw on a Hex (Wisdom) on whoever you're trying to fool, to give them disadvantage on their check to detect your lying face, and... yeah. You're your own Mission: Impossible movie.

If you somehow roll double 1s and they roll double 20s, just Suggest they believe you anyway.

Chain Pact is the way to go, because your little Imp can turn invisible. He's the perfect spy. As a Chain pacter your control over your familiar is not impacted by distance. You can see through his eyes, and so can cast spells phrased "target you can see" so long as you (as in, your warlock body) and the target are still within spell range. This also means you can spook people by telepathically talking to them via Awakened Mind while looking through your invisible familiar's eyes, all while you're not even in the same building. Just be sure you're within 30'.

The invisible familiar also pairs very well with your invisible Mage Hand. Use Mage Hand to steal something, give it to your familiar, and have the familiar turn invisible and fly away. Or forego Invisibility and just cast Darkness. You and "lil' Impy" can both see perfectly well, thanks to Devil's Sight.

Spells:

Warlock:
Hex, Find Familiar (free with Chain Pact), Suggestion, Misty Step, Darkness

Arcane Trickster:
Chromatic Orb, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Sleep

Bard:
Cure Wounds, Charm Person, Dissonant Whispers, Silent Image

Remove ads