• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Build Advice: Rogue-y Cleric

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
Here's the deal: for my group's next game, one of my players has offered to take the GM reigns for a spin, meaning I get to play with a group of guys (and a gal) that I almost never get to play with. On top of things - I get to make one of the "extra" characters - the Rogue, Fighter, and Wizard are covered, and another player is building an Oracle to be the almost-main healer. We've got a barbarian as well. That leaves me to make pretty much whatever I want, but I've decided I want to fill in the roll of the extra healer, with a little bit of pizzazz on top.

And so, I settled on the Rogue-y Cleric. I'm thinking straight Cleric, but I'm not against multi-classing into Rogue if need be. It looks like the game is going to start at 3rd level. Here's what I have so far (20 point buy):

---
Elzar of the Veil
Human Cleric 3 of Sivanah
Domains: Magic, Trickery

STR 10
DEX 16
CON 10
INT 12
WIS 16
CHA 13

HP: 18
Feats: Weapon Finesse, and I'm really torn on the other two
Traits: Strip the Veils, Child of the Streets
Skills: Bluff +6, Knowledge (Planes) +5, Knowledge (Religion) +7, Sense Motive +8, Sleight of Hand +7, Spellcraft +6, Stealth +8

Channel Positive Energy 2d6

Weapons: Masterwork Bladed Scarf +6/1d6 damage, Sling, Masterwork Dagger
Armor: Masterwork Chain Shirt, AC 17
---

The concept is a street magician (close-up magic, pulling coins out from behind kid's ears, making items "disappear", etc.) The party is all affiliated with a travelling circus, and we're all performers of one sort or another. Elzar is also a closeted worshipper of a secretive deity and jealously guards those secrets, keeping his divine powers close to his vest. I'm reskinning (with DM approval) the bladed scarf as a series of 7 scarves, tied together at the ends, and lined through with garotte wire and razor blades - he gets to honor his deity and stuff a seemingly harmless weapon up his sleeves at the same time.

I forsee Elzar as a companion for the party Rogue on scouting operations, combining with the Oracle to make 1 complete healer, and providing buffing and debuffing spells for the party. I'm not worried too terribly much about HP and AC with my Copycat domain power hopefully saving me from taking a few blows, and the Hand of the Acolyte domain power makes me a viable melee contributor from nearer the back lines when things get too hairy up close.

Here's where I'm struggling - feats, as I mentioned above. I don't have to worry about being the healer, so I'm not concerned with taking Selective Channeling. I'm also open to other advice regarding the build if someone sees something that could be dramatically improved via some tweaking or retuning.

So...any advice?

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Take the Cloistered Cleric variant for those extra skill points and bonus Knowledge domain. It also works well thematically since your faith is 'secret'.

[edit: nm that. The PF people really tore down what made the CC awesome from 3.5 - check with your DM to see if the 3.5 version is possible.]

Also, consider Bard. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads