Build Challenge: Highest First+Second Round Single Target Damage, No Magic Items/Surprise Round

Unlike the other challenge thread that has too many variables in play to really make a balanced challenge, this one has more clearly defined rules.

1. Character level is set at 20. AL Character Creation Rules apply, which means point-buy/standard array for stats and no mixing of EEPC and SCAG.

2. No Magic Items to be factored into the builds. This makes the math focus on the characters themselves and not the items they carry.

3. This is based around arena-style combat, so no surprise rounds will be granted.

4. Damage totals are based on the first and second rounds of combat. Assume that all attacks hit, but none are crits.

5. Rogues can assume that their conditions for Sneak Attack are met in both rounds.

With all of that said, I defer to the words of the wise Judge Mills Lane...

GET IT ON!!!

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Open hand monk 20.
= all the HP the enemy has.

You could potentially cast aid or false life on them as well, giving them more HP so you can deal more damage.

Open hand monk 20.
= all the HP the enemy has.

You could potentially cast aid or false life on them as well, giving them more HP so you can deal more damage.

That's not bad. Swap out 2 levels for Fighter, and you can pull it off on turn 1 via Action Surge.

However, I think most of the community is looking for numbers that have a degree of consistency when it comes to these challenges. Something more along the line of "Build X using Y tactics will do Z damage." Trying to sate the desires of the number crunchers with this one.

Here's my entry:
Battle Master Fighter 17/Sorcerer 3
ASI/Feats: +4 Str, Martial Adept, Magic Initiate (Booming Blade/Hex), Great Weapon Master, Elemental Adept (thunder)
Weapon: Greatsword
Turn 1: Hex, Attack*2 using Action Surge (Tripping/Menacing Attack and GWM on all 6 weapon attacks)= (12d6+6d10+90 slashing)+(6d6 necrotic)=104-258 damage (avg 181)
Turn 2: Quickened Booming Blade w/ Tripping/Menacing Attack and GWM, Attack*2 using Action Surge (GWM on all 6 weapon attacks)=(14d6+1d10+105 slashing)+(4d8 thunder)+(7d6 necrotic)=135-273 damage (avg 204)
Total damage=239-531 damage (avg 385)

famousringo

First Post
Other than death effects like mellowred points out, probably a fighter 2/wild sorcerer 18 with a generous DM. Note I'm assuming that every use of Empowered spell turns a 1 into an average die roll (+2.5 damage on d6, +4.5 on d10).

First, use Tides of Chaos on your initiative roll.

Cast Empowered Meteor Swarm for 40d6 average damage 147.5 and get a wild surge that does damage.

Cast Quickened, Empowered Firebolt and use Tides of Chaos again and roll Spell Bombardment if you get a 10 for 5d10 = 41 (probably overestimating value of empowered here)

Action surge cast level 8 Empowered Disintegrate for 16d6 + 40 = 103.5 damage. Get another wild surge.

Let's not go overboard and assume that the enemy triggers an opportunity attack and the sorcerer has Warcaster. :p On to round 2.

Cast another Quickened, Empowered, Bombardment, Tides of Chaos Firebolt for 41 damage.

Cast Empowered Disintegrate at level 7 for 13d6 + 40 = 93 damage and one last wild surge.

So that's 426 damage plus whatever those wild surges get you. A little less since I'm probably overvaluing Bombardment and Empowered on Firebolts. I'm away from book, but I don't remember anything nastier than a Fireball in the surge table, so maybe 84 more damage for three of those? Hope that sorcerer had Energy Protection up.

Edit: I am way wrong about Fireball being the nastiest thing on the surge table. You're better off leading with a Disintegrate in the hope you can maximize that Meteor Swarm for 240 damage. You can also get an additional action for yet another Disintegrate. So those surges could potentially add over 200 damage.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Bard 1/ paladin 2/wild sorcerer 17. With dissonant whispers, warcaster, a reach weapon, and booming blade.

Hit with booming blade (1d10+5+2d8), and smite (5d8)
Quicken Dissonant whispers (10d6) to cause it to run. (3d8)
When it leaves reach, hit it again with booming blade (1d10+5+2d8), smite (5d8) and it still runs (3d8)
= 2d10+20d8+10+10d6 = 146

repeate on turn 2.
= 292 + whatever empowered gives + wild surges.

GrumpyGamer

First Post
Monk 17/divination wizard 2.
Wait till you roll a high and low for portent.

Guaranteed hit, guaranteed failure.

Well you don't need the guaranteed hit; the rules give it to you... :)

With that said banded accuracy and getting advantage plays a large part in 5e. Taking out crits and needing to hit takes a lot of interesting mechanics off the table.

Grue AC

First Post
Bard 1/ paladin 2/wild sorcerer 17. With dissonant whispers, warcaster, a reach weapon, and booming blade.

Hit with booming blade (1d10+5+2d8), and smite (5d8)
Quicken Dissonant whispers (10d6) to cause it to run. (3d8)
When it leaves reach, hit it again with booming blade (1d10+5+2d8), smite (5d8) and it still runs (3d8)
= 2d10+20d8+10+10d6 = 146

repeate on turn 2.
= 292 + whatever empowered gives + wild surges.

Need Spell Sniper to use Booming Blade with a reach weapon but you've got enough ABI to fit it in at 20.

Gtdef

First Post
DM dependant because I'm not sure about the rulling for contagion. There is nothing in Errata.

Tempest Cleric 15, Sorceror 3, Fighter 2
Contagion Flesh Rot (vulnerability, double damage taken) -> Quickened Call Lightning -> Call down -> Action Surge Call Down
Under perfect conditions, this can do from 205 dmg (target saves against everything, lowest possible rolls) to 600.

Average no save damage is 510
200 (channel divinity + quickened call lightning)
200 (channel divinity + call down)
110 (10d10 average call down)

Last edited:

zaratan

First Post
EK 11/pali 2/ sor 6/ great old one warlock 1
4 ASI/feat = warcaster, GWM
GWF
hex 24h day with 5th lvl spell (just to don't say it wasn't activate)
10th lvl caster

turn one 6 attacks with action surge, smite spam:
2d6 +5d8 +1d6 +15
2d6 +5d8 +1d6 +15
2d6 +5d8 +1d6 +15
2d6 +5d8 +1d6 +15
2d6 +5d8 +1d6 +15
2d6 +4d8 +1d6 +15
quick dissnant whisppers +3d6 reaction smiting booming blade (triggering) 2d6 +11d8 +1d6 +15

turn 2
2d6 +4d8 +1d6 +15
2d6 +3d8 +1d6 +15
2d6 +3d8 +1d6 +15
quick dissnant whisppers +3d6 reaction smiting booming blade (triggering) 2d6 +10d8 +1d6 +15

reroll 1 and 2 in weapon attacks from GWF, avarage total = 632,28

Remove ads