Build Help: Dragonborn of the Radiant Storm

Tempestfury

First Post
Being that I am recently getting back into 4th Edition, and I have Hero Lab. I decided to play around with the 4E character creator and make a few characters. Starting with a Hybrid Paladin/Sorcerer, because I really like Hybrid characters, Paladin/Sorcerer is a wonderful combo back in 3.5 and still is now, and I also like Dragonborns.

Whilst I was reading the handbooks for those two classes however, I came to realise that actually, there is a lot of support for a Dragonborn Character. The Paladin class and the Sorcerer class both have really, really good feats and abilities that synergize well with it... and when you add the Rod of the Dragonborn into the mix? Bonuses to the Dragonborn Breath can apply to pretty much any implement attack... hence this build.

However, I have some concerns about the ability score spread, as well as the feat selection and timing. My character has a lot of damage, but I’m rather concerned about his ability to actually serve as a Defender, especially in Heroic Tier. So any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, Hero Lab doesn’t have Avatar of Io, so I don’t know if that might be a better choice for this build than the Chosen.

Character made with Hero Lab.

Arcantos, Dragonborn Hybrid Paladin / Hybrid Sorcerer 30
Morninglord, Chosen
+2 to Ability: Strength
Breath Type: Lightning
Bozak Draconian

Divine Spark: Strength, Charisma
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath (Rac)
Sorcerous Power: Strength
Soul of the Sorcerer: Dragon Magic

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 26 (+23), Con 14 (+17), Dex 10 (+15), Int 12 (+16), Wis 18 (+19), Cha 26 (+23)

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18 (+4), Con 12 (+1), Dex 8 (-1), Int 10 (0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 18 (+4)

AC: 41, Fort: 43, Ref: 35, Will: 43

Hit Points: 172, Healing Surges: 10, Surge Value: 45 hp

Level: 30, Initiative: +15, Speed: 6 squares, Size: Medium, Senses: Normal

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana: +24, Diplomacy: +28, Intimidate: +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics: +15, Athletics: +23, Bluff: +23, Dungeoneering: +19, Endurance: +17, Heal: +19, History: +18, Insight: +21, Nature: +19, Perception: +27, Religion: +16, Stealth: +15, Streetwise: +23, Thievery: +15

Feats:
1, Hybrid Talent: Soul of the Sorcerer: Dragon Magic
2, Ancient Soul
4, Draconic Challenge
6, Nusemnee's Atonement
8, Improved Defenses
10, Radiant Breath
11, Hero's Poise
12, Arcane Implement Proficiency: Rod
14, Thundering Breath
16, Resounding Thunder
18, Lightning Soul
20, Honored Foe
21, Draconic Triumph
22, Paladin's Truth
24, Trusted Spellcasting: Dragon Breath (Rac)
26, Strength Through Challenge
28, Concussive Breath
30, Divine Mastery

Powers:
1, At-Will Power: Basic Melee
1, At-Will Power: Basic Ranged
1, At-Will Power: Burning Spray (Sor)
1, At-Will Power: Virtuous Strike (Pal)
2, Utility Power: Dragonflame Mantle (Sor)
6, Utility Power: Wrath of the Gods (Pal)
10, Utility Power: Maiden's Waking (Sor)
11, Encounter Power: Pure Glow
12, Utility Power: Rising Sun
16, Utility Power: Draconic Majesty (Sor)
17, Encounter Power: Hand of the Gods (Pal)
19, Daily Power: Corona of Blinding Radiance (Pal)
20, Daily Power: Lance of Dawn
22, Utility Power: Platinum Scales (Sor)
23, Encounter Power: Champion's Call (Pal)
25, Daily Power: Discipline the Unruly (Pal)
26, Utility Power: Renewing Dawn - Chosen
27, Encounter Power: Mother Claw (Sor)
29, Daily Power: Wyrm Form (Sor)
At-Will Power: Radiant Weapon (Mag)
Daily Power: Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor (Mag)
Daily Power: Ring of the Radiant Storm (Mag)
Daily Power: Rod of the Dragonborn (Mag)
Daily Power: Symbol of the Champion's Code (Mag)
Encounter Power: Dragon Breath (Rac)
Encounter Power: Dragonfear (Rac)
Encounter Power: Sohei Flurry

ESSENTIAL ITEMS
Radiant Weapon, Rod of the Dragonborn, Gift for the Queen Item Set

NON-ESSENTIAL ITEMS
Starweave Greater Armour of Eyes, Belt of Vim, Life Charm, Many Fingered Gloves, Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor, Shadowband.

COMBOS
Ancient Soul +
Nusemnee's Atonement: Hit Allies with Breath Attack. Take the damage instead. Damage is the same as Dragon Breath, so regain Dragon Breath via Ancient Soul.

Burning Radiance + Radiant Breath: Dragon Breath does Radiant damage, so targets gain 10 Radiant Vulnerability. Question: If I use Nusemnee's Atonement to tank damage that an ally would have taken, do I gain Radiant Vulnerability?

Thundering Breath + Resounding Thunder: Dragon Breath does Thunder Damage, so is now Blast 4 instead of Blast 3.

Rod the Dragonborn + Radiant Breath + Thundering Breath: Powers focused through this implement deal Radiant, Lighting and Thunder damage. Thus gain the bonuses fron Resounding Thunder for size increase, as well as damage increases from other feats and items.

Nusemnee's Atonement
+ Lightning Arc: Hit Allies with Breath Attack. Take damage instead. Damage is electric, so Lighting Arc's extra damage triggers.

Last edited:

MwaO

Adventurer
This is basically what's known as a rebreather and has one of three issues:
A) Your DM will let it work and then either the DM and/or your party will get really mad at you.
B) Your DM will say no.
C) Your DM will point out the legitimate target rule and say your ally is not a legitimate target. So you even though you can take damage from doing this, you gain no benefits from that damage.

As a player sitting at a table with one of these, I'd tell the table that it violates the legitimate target rule and is not legal per RAW. One of the very few instances where I'd do something like that.

Also, as a Chosen, you only get one of those utility options.

Tempestfury

First Post
I know I only get one of the utility's from the Chosen. Just, forgot that the Hero Lab is a bit flawed in that regard...

However, I fail to see what you mean when you say, it violates the legitimate target rule and is not legal per RAW. Dragon's Breath say it targets everyone in the blast, which includes allies if they are in that area. Because the attack would damage an ally, I would take the damage via Nusemnee's Atonement and thus regain my Dragon's Breath... I don't see anything at all wrong with that per RAW.

As for the other two 'issues'? Their entirely subjective thank you very much, and as this is mainly a therotical build at the time, I would rather not discuss how a table might react to such a therotical build.

MwaO

Adventurer
However, I fail to see what you mean when you say, it violates the legitimate target rule and is not legal per RAW. Dragon's Breath say it targets everyone in the blast, which includes allies if they are in that area. Because the attack would damage an ally, I would take the damage via Nusemnee's Atonement and thus regain my Dragon's Breath... I don't see anything at all wrong with that per RAW.

"When a power has an effect that occurs upon hitting, missing, or otherwise affecting a target, the effect takes place only if the target in question is a meaningful threat. For instance, characters can gain no benefit from carrying a sack of rats in the hope of healing their allies by hitting the rats." RC page 108.

Your allies are not a meaningful threat to you. Therefore, you can't gain a benefit from targeting them. Regaining your Dragon's Breath is a benefit, so you can't regain it by doing that.

Tempestfury

First Post
... Actually my allies are a meaningful threat for me, being that they are the same level as me. Meaning that it is entirely possible for them to kill me. Unlike a sack of rats. So that arguement is invalid.

And even if it WAS valid. Regaining my Dragon's Breath does not come from targetting my allies. It comes from taking damage of the same type that my breath weapon does. Damage which I take, because I used Nusemnee's Atonement to take damage that I would have caused to my allies to instead be dealt to me. Meaning I am the one hurting myself. Ergo, as I am the same level as myself, I am a meaningful threat.

Either way, your arguement is invalid. By RAW, the combo works. And it's why I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed. It's powerful, yes. But requires several feats, and the more powerful the dragon breath is, the more damage I take myself. It's no more powerful than say, The Swordmage's Thunderball combo.

MwaO

Adventurer
... Actually my allies are a meaningful threat for me...

Are they meaningfully threatening you in some permanent harm kind of way? No? Then they're not a meaningful threat. Level isn't part of the rules, so not sure why you're referring to it.

I'd look up fruit from the poisonous tree for the rest of your argument.

Tempestfury

First Post
... 'Level isn't part of the rules'... Anyone who says that about a RPG games were levels are a huge mechanic obviously isn't worth listening to. Quickest I've ignored someone...

Anyone out there willing to actually help instead of bitching that I posted a optimised build in a forum dedicated to optimization?

darkbard

Legend
Tempestfury, you're new to these forums. What you don't know is that MwaO has spent years and years as one of the most active and knowledgeable optimizers on the old WotC forums before coming here when WotC eliminated their boards. He has addressed dozens of iterations of this argument already, and his reasoning is consensus built from the collective work of many knowledgeable players over time. Furthermore, he is the single remaining person active in this community with that knowledge, so you may want to reconsider dismissing his advice out of hand.

Tempestfury

First Post
Maybe I did react on impulse by dismissing him so swiftly. But I find it incredibly hard to connect this image of a veteran of optimization and D&D gaming, with someone comes to a thread and says 'This build is bad because A. Everyone will hate it. B. You DM won't allow it. C. It's not Rules Legal'. When only Point C is actually at all relevant. Let ALONE someone who says 'Level isn't part of the rules' when the levels is a very significant part of the rules and mechanics of the game!

... And even if I did react on impulse in blocking him so swiftly. He's still wrong. In terms of power. Anyone who is the same level as me, whenever that means my allies, or actually myself, is a meaningful threat. Thus are valid targets to gain benefit from attacking. And if your going to argue that said allies or myself are never going to attack me, then I'll just make the arguement that Amaunator is never going to attack me, but as a god, is he still a very meaningful threat.

Remove ads