• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Build Point System: How broken can we get?

Marflarius

First Post
I am still thinking about the build, but in the meantime I had a tangential thought.

1) Level advancement works as normal EXCEPT you don't get any automatic feats (i.e. 1st, 3rd, 6th, etc.).
2) Each level you get 20 build points.
3) Levels:
a) Taking a level in a full caster / Tier 1 class or a PrC that advances casting costs 20 build points.
b) Taking a level in a Tier 2 class costs 15 points (based on JaronK's tiers for now).
c) Taking a level in a Tier 3 class costs 10 points.
d) Taking a level in a lower tier class costs 5 points.
e) To be clear, this is NOT gestalt and you can only take a level for which you have the appropriate XP.
4) Feats are 5 points each.
5) LA buyoff is 10 points per LA.
6) I would think of something to do with excess build points, maybe increasing stats (or maybe you just have to spend them all on feats and LA).

How does that sound?

See this isn't MY campaign Kit, it's a campaign that I'll be playing in, hence the 150 points at 1st level then 10 points every level thereafter (190 at level 5)

Marflarius

First Post
Yes, this is very breakable.

150 points at 1st, 10 points per additional level? That's....

Full Sorcerer casting (or Wizard, or Cleric, or Druid... whichever's your preference, although Charisma stacking is usually easier than Int stacking or Wis stacking): 50 points
Full Hexblade class features: 50 points (Charisma to saves vs. spells & spell likes - the most common save - and Mettle, mostly, although there's also a few other handy abilities there)
Full Monk class features: 50 points (Wis to AC, Evasion, mostly, but there's other stuff that's useful as a passive defense)
That's 150 points at 1st.
10 points a level beyond that:
d10 HD for every level after 1st: 3 points
A very complex bonus feat every level after 1st: 7 points.

... yeah, this is a fairly strong gestalt variant.

Would that be worth it though? See I'm looking at doing a mix of classes while still getting a decent race and I actually confirmed yesterday with the DM that we do -not- get skill points at first level normally, so we have to buy all of our skill points.

While I will agree with you that CHA stacking IS generally easier than the other stats, there's plenty of LA 1/2 races out there that will give a fairly reput able bonus to any of them.

Thoughts?

kitcik

Adventurer
With the power afforded by this system and with the rolls you have, you can afford to be slightly MAD. I would still go full on arcane and divine casting.

But we need a real caster-optimizer, particularly someone with gestalt experience, to comment on this...

Marflarius

First Post
I have no gestalt experience but my DM does apparently as this deployment is the first time I've even ever heard of it (I'm a bit old school I guess) so, unfortunately DnD is nothing like nwn, otherwise I probably could have came up with a crap ton of things by now lol

Marflarius

First Post
We've been talking over AIM and believe to have found a solution that will certainly reduce all levels of intelligence with more than just a negative modifier. . . :D

Dandu

First Post
AIM was chosen because of a lack of a electronic paper trail and plausible deniability.

Incidentally, you all now know too much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads