• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Building a beguiler Zhentarim spy

Animal

First Post
So this is yet another character concept for an upcoming campaign in faerun. A Zhentarim beguiler employed as a spy in Waterdeep. ECL: 6, so i'm thinking of going entirely beguiler or beguiler 5/mindbender 1 for cool telepathy feature which seems to work greatly with my concept of puppetmaster. the actual Zhenarim spy PrC seemed a bit boring comparing to mindbender.
my problem is that i'm not very well acquainted with FR rulebooks so its most certain that when i start creating the character i will miss out many cool features decribed there. maybe i even missed some cool PrC for a beguiler spy?

Advice on feats, tactics, equipment and roleplaying thoughts will all be appreciated!

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I dunno if Mindbender is worth even one level -- their Telepathy doesn't let you eavesdrop, it just lets you talk.

Cheers, -- N

Animal

First Post
Nifft, i realise that. but imagine the coolness of being able to talk with your contact non-verbally just sitting in the same tavern hall, throne room or anywhere else while being watched by counter-spies. no risk to be exposed if someone notices you speak with another spy or tries to eavesdrop on you. plus you can communicate with people you charmed unnoticed, and i plan to use enchantment a lot.

darthkilmor, beguilers are something like rogue mages. just imagine a warmage who dabbles in enchantment and illusion instead of evocation and has lots of skillpoints instead of fighting capabilities. sleep arrows work good for rogues but not for mages i guess.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Ah, yes! If he's got a group of fellow agents and/or minions, Telepathy is brilliant for coordination. :)

It's also great for intimidating witnesses who are under guard.

Let me go look over Beguiler and get back to you...

Cheers, -- N

Wolfwood2

Explorer
Nifft said:
Ah, yes! If he's got a group of fellow agents and/or minions, Telepathy is brilliant for coordination. :)

For a Beguiler 5/Mindbender 1

Maxed ranks in Bluff - 9 skill points

Glibness spell cast on self - 1 third level spell slot

Using telepathy + bluff to tell a target, "This is your god speaking. I will test your faith! Empty your pockets of all worldly possessions and walk out onto the waters of the canal." = priceless

*sigh* This conversation pains me.

The reason you want to take one level of something before level 7 as a Beguiler is to delay your advanced learning, opening up higher-level spells. That way you can get Shadow Conjuration at that level, which you can't if you go straight Beguiler.

Also, the Mindbender 1 telepathy lets you communicate with anything that has a language. That doesn't suck.

Another great option for the 1-level delay trick is Shadow Adept. The feats are very, very nice for a Beguiler.

There are more tips on the links below. I'd also suggest familiarizing yourself with illusions, since glamers and figments work on undead and golems, which your mind affecting spells will not. Also, a whip or other reach weapon will let you be in melee with opponents while staying mostly out of their reach. (You don't have to be proficient to feint with it, and you don't take the non-proficient -4 for feinting)

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=805782
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=635691

werk

First Post
Nifft said:

Let me go look over Beguiler and get back to you...

Cheers, -- N

FR's ghostwise halfling would give you telepathy for free...and other various sneaky-type bonuses.

RigaMortus2

First Post
I like Changeling for the spy type character...

Then you can also do Cabinet Trickster and you'll have a Detect Thoughts ability, not to mention a minor change shape ability. Great addition for a Beguiler spy type.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads