• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Building a Better Bard - Some examples of non-musical bards for character builds

SavingThrow

Explorer
Hey all! We've got a new article over at the Saving Throw site. Author Felix Danger gives some advice to anyone struggling with building an accessible and fun bard. It can often be intimidating taking on a character who is, at times, far more role than play. But oftentimes these awesomely adept characters get passed over by players because of a perceived notion that they must "sing for their supper" as it were.

Hopefully these build ideas will help some new players find some reason to go bard next time they build a character!

How about you? Any good bardic builds you can suggest?

In my collection of as yet unused 4E characters a Professional Mourner bard gathers dust, in some cultures people may be paid to lament the dead, in this case he's a sort of (somber) musical undertaker with strong religious and dislike for undead themes....Another is a Minotaur regimental musician - I thought he might blow his own horn but that ran the risk of getting too silly....

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Maybe you can post some of those examples, @SavingThrow? I think you might be in violation of ToS otherwise.

Bards have recently become for me a good class for party leaders and politicos.

Party leader: bards are motivators, right? What better for getting the party rogue to crawl first into a dark, scary hole? Plus, you want to be able to put a pretty face on your party.

Politicians: this is pretty obvious. Bards have all the social skills, and some pretty deceptive ones as well. If you're talking magical bard as well, then you have a pretty dangerous politician on your hands.

SavingThrow

Explorer
Thanks, [MENTION=6685730]DMMike[/MENTION]. Could you point me to the ToS? I wasn't aware I was violating anything for this forum but obviously wanna fix it for any future posts! Sorry for any confusion!

I think you're right: bards are almost custom built for some sort of leadership role. They often fill that slot (often whether they want to or not) in some of my games. It's awesome seeing a power struggle between a paladin and a bard for control of the party.

In the article the author has two examples - the Dirty Limerick Bard who uses naughty poetry to intimidate his enemies and amuse (and rally) his friends. Grab any good tasteless joke book popular with 8-year olds and you've got a treasure trove of material to base spells and such from.

The other is the Dark Monologue Bard. An actor or orator who mesmerizes enemies with compelling performances. Grab any Shakespeare for Dummies and find a few good monologues - Henry V's St. Crispin's Day speech to rally your troops, for instance - and you're off and running. This build is also custom suited to a diplomatic role within the party.

Just a couple of examples!

SavingThrow

Explorer
Nevermind, found it! Right at the top too! Full posts listed here from now on! Ha! I wanted the conversation HERE, not on my own site. But duly noted. Thanks! :)

Samloyal23

Adventurer
An I idea I never really had time to work on was a visual arts "bard" who used paintings, calligraphy, and interior design to alter people's moods and create magical effects...

SavingThrow

Explorer
...a visual arts "bard" who used paintings, calligraphy, and interior design to alter people's moods and create magical effects...

I love this idea! Instead of a quiver full of arrows they carry paintbrushes and styluses (stylii?). Great concept. I wonder, would the player then draw (however well they could) during the game to demonstrate what their bard is doing? That sounds like it could be a good time.

I was always partial to the oratorical bard. They're still using an auditory performance, but it made a lot of sense in a historical/dramatic sort of way. A general giving an inspiring speech makes a whole lot more sense than a musician running around the battlefield with bagpipes.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I love this idea! Instead of a quiver full of arrows they carry paintbrushes and styluses (stylii?). Great concept. I wonder, would the player then draw (however well they could) during the game to demonstrate what their bard is doing? That sounds like it could be a good time.

More like they would create items of artistic value that had magical effects. Imagine Banksy creating graffiti that REALLY affected people who saw it, on a magical level, so they could be charmed or lulled to sleep or enraged into berserk fury. Or drawings that came to life and became creatures or three dimensional objects. The problem is it really cannot be done in a combat situation or while adventuring with any efficiency...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, IRL, speed drawing/painting is really no slower than singing a song. (See vids on YouTube.) Ditto modeling with a putty. D&D just used Handwavium and condensed the time frame to fit combat. Do the same with the visual arts, and it will be fine.

The REAL trick, though, is justifying bardic knowledge. Even then, it isn't uncommon for visual artists to learn something about what they intend to depict.

Remove ads