• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Building a Desert-themed Cleric - Need Suggestions

BGlaze250

First Post
So, I am, for the first time, going to sit down and play a game of table-top D&D. I've played some online versions, and a play-by-email game (more storytelling than rules-based) for a while, but now it's time for the real thing.

I'm jumping into a friend's ongoing campaign. It's heavily Egyptian themed, with some Dark Sun and other settings thrown in for good measure. For talking to the other players, I've decided to play a Cleric or Cleric-type character. The group lacks real healing, and the campaign is very undead themed, so I believe that a Cleric will be the right direction to go.

Now, having never really played actual D&D, I need some help putting my character together. I need an eighth (8th) level Cleric/Cleric-like character, of any standard race. The stats I have are: 14, 16, 14, 14, 16, 10, plus an extra 2 points for being level 8. I'm needed for healing and combat, specifically against undead, so I'll probably follow the Ra-esque god, and take Healing and Sun as my domains.

I have full access to the PHB, the DMG, the Magic Item Compendium, and Complete Divine. I'm really just looking for help. What kind of feats, builds, items, and skills should I take, to best help my group and the game?

Last edited:

nittanytbone

First Post
See if you can get access to Radiant Servant of Pelor from complete divine. Should be easy to boost your turn check through the roof -- Circlet of Persuasion, for example.

I'd suggest finding a way to spend your ungodly number of turn attempts on something else in case you don't run into undead every day. Divine Might (Free action - add cha to damage for 1 round) is quick and easy. Divine Metamagic Quicken or Persistent spell is also great.

The healing domain is pretty much worthless, IMHO. Grab a different domain if possible. It has a very minor benefit and adds no new spells to your list, blah.

Check out the other thread on cleric buffs for some suggestions on gear and spells.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For the record, a Druid would also make a fine choice- weaker on the healing front, but very, very flexible.

Good Clerical Domains (depending on build, of course):

Sun, War, Water, Air- each has something to offer in a desert environment, and would be my first tier of selections.

Magic, Travel, Healing and Knowledge would be my second tier- still all very useful.

Possible Builds:

Cleric3/Spec Wiz Conjuror3/Geomancer2: Can cast 1st level arcane spells in full armor, more skill points, and as I recall, gets a bonus to casting in his favored environment- here, desert.

Cleric7/Kensai1: If you're going the warrior route, the kensai levels will really boost your combat potential. Careful building will make this PC as feared as any pure warrior.

Cleric4/Your favorite warrior Class2/Kensai2: as above, but even more powerful in combat.

Items:

Everfull Bottle: You can never have too much water, esp. in a desert. A caravan that can refresh itself on the move, or even bypass oases is unpredictable.

Quiver of Ehlonna: at 1800gp, the best bang for the buck hyperdimensional storage magic item. Any class can find a use for it for weapons, for rods, staves & wands, or...

Ring of Sustenance: why sleep, tote around food and/or get overheated any more than you have to?

Disruption and/or Bane weapons could be handy in an undead-centric campaign, and definitely go for a good blunt weapon- fewer critters (esp. undead) resist blunt damage than any other kind. Morningstars are a personal favorite. If you have some kind of access to martial weapons, go with a flail.

A shield is virtually a must. Besides protecting you in battle, it can also double as an impromptu shade or even a cooking vessel.

nittanytbone

First Post
I have to disagree with the above poster on class makeup.

One of the fundamental rules about building clerics is "Thou shalt not lose caster levels." Mystic theurge (or any other dual-caster build for the most part) is a trap. Dipping "just one level" of that fighter class to get a feat or something is a trap. The only loss in caster level that is worth it, rarely, is a 1 level rogue dip for cloistered clerics so that they can gain trapfinding and search/disable device as class skills -- and there are better ways to do it than that, too!

Really, as long as you have no lost caster levels and decent attribute distribution (max wisdom, 14 CON, and decent CHA if relying on turning/DMM) you'll be quite effective.

I do agree that Luck, Travel, and Magic are among the best core domains though. The elemental domains -- not so much, not unless elementals/dragons/giants of certain types figure very heavily into the game and thus turning/rebuking them is important. The war domain is ok if you can get MWP with a decent weapon (greatsword or longbow come to mind). Basically, in a domain, I look for two things -- access to good spells not normally on the cleric list and a unique, useful granted power. That's why Travel usually tops my favorite list.

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
BGlaze250 said:
I have full access to the PHB, the DMG, the Magic Item Compendium, and COmplete Divine. I'm really just looking for help. What kind of feats, builds, items, and skills should I take, to best help my group and the game?

Should see if you can get a hold of Sandstorm. I am surprised if the DM doesn't already have it and is using it for such setting.

It has a lot of useful information on desert, drifts, wastes, etc survival.

There are also some good spells (the Sand Domain is a very theme positive one) too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads