• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Building a level 9 wandering scholar

zyzzyr

First Post
Hi all,

I am picking up a 3.0 campaign my friends and I had left off a while back. In it I played a wandering scholar sort of person - kind of like Indiana Jones, but more focussed on wits and agility instead of brawn. The idea was to be part of a group called the "Seekers", who of course went out to search knowledge among the ruins. So kind of a medieval tomb-raiding archaeologist. I also wanted to back this up with a little magic.

In D&D 3.0, I was a Rog3/Wiz3. Knowledge (history, geography) were trained, and I was useful in the areas of opening locks, disabling devices, searching, and so on. Focus on the bow since I wanted to avoid combat.

We've decided to pick the campaign up again, but with 3.5 rules, and move our characters up to level 9.

Immediately I was struck with the possibility of creating an Arcane Trickster, but the prereqs flabbergasted me: you need to be at least Wiz5/Rog3 (though Wiz5/Rog4 might be a bit better first).

Then I remembered that I was going to be a bard in 3.0 until I realized I could not make the skills work. Now that the 3.5 bard is up to 6+int skill points per level, this is more easily done so I was looking at that. However, I don't like having to make sure Dex, Int, AND Cha are all very good stats, as I wanted to concentrate only on two stats, and balance off the others. Also, the lack of trapfinding for traps with DCs > 20 is a huge hit to take (although I could get it back by taking 1 level of rogue). The loss of sneak attack -- well, dunno how much I really care about that.

Then I considered just sticking with Rog/Wiz multiclass and go Rog5/Wiz4, on to Rog5/Wiz5, then maybe Arcane Trickster, but really I started getting bogged down at this point (too many options). I needed to think about level 15, where a Wiz5/Rog3/ArT7 would be casting 5th-level spells, versus Wiz5/Rog5/ArT5, where he would be casting 4th level spells but have +8 skill points, a few more hit points, and ... etc. etc.

Can you reliable folks make any suggestions as to where to go with this?

Some theme notes: He's a serious scholar, not a dilettante. It's a low magic world. He likes exploring -- a lot -- so he doesn't want to always have to get a rogue to come along and stop him from killing himself with all the traps. I'd also originally planned to use just a bit of magic (not be a wizard, basically), but it seems that there's no reason to go rogX/wizX-3 when you can go Arcane Trickster.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

zyzzyr

zyzzyr

First Post
Whoops!

Forgot something.

Themewise: He hates stand-up combat. He would rather jump behind something, run away, attack from afar, use objects and the environment to his advantage, and so on.

For example, in one session a battle began in the library. Instead of just pulling out his dagger and hacking away, my character climbed up the bookshelves, jumped from shelf to shelf, knocked over one of the shelves into an ogre, ran up the stairs, took a few bowshots from the second floor, swung off a banner ... that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance!

(Edit: By the way, I can only use the Core 3.5 Rulebooks)

zyzzyr

Last edited:

Remove ads