• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Building a Sucessful Illusionist - Help Please - Repost to Correct Forum

JDragon

Explorer
I'm in the process of generating a new character for an ongoing FR campaign. My last character was killed by a frost giant.

Due to a change in players our primary arcane caster is leaving and I may try to fill that roll somewhat. The thing is I'm looking at making a gnome illusionist using some of the stuff from Races of Stone, and I could really use some ideas on the build and suggestions on how to make the most of his spells available.

I'll be 8th level to start.

I'm wanting to use the Wisper Gnome from RoS.

I'm thinking of starting with the Gnome Illusionist Racial Substitution Level. (from RoS) I know I won't take the 10th level substitution, but may take the 5th level substitution.

My goal is to go into the Shadowcraft Mage PrC (also from RoS.)

What two schools of magic should I give up to specialize? Also what school should I have to have an effective -1 to my caster level in? (I have to chose from evocation, transmutation or conjuration, and it can't be one I have already given up).

Any suggestions on how to get the best out of my spells?
I haven't really done the illusionist before so any ideas/tricks would be great.

I can post more info on the race/substitution level/PrC if needed.

Tidus4444

First Post
I'm not familiar with most of those PRCs and races. Care to elaborate on them?

I do have one suggestion though: you're in FR, so be sure to take spellcasting prodigy. I'd reccomend taking the sun elf (+2 int) race as well, but since you're set on a gnome...

JDragon

Explorer
Well it appears my plan will not work as well as I had planned. (in truth I had not looked at everything in detail when I posted my first querry)

The Wisper Gnome is a gnome that leans toward rogue instead of caster type.

Also, it appears on a gnome can take the substitution levels. :-(

The Racial Substitution level does the following...
give up Familiar, and scribe scroll at first level
pick one school that you take a -1 caster level on (See above)

You get...
All your natural spell like abilities use your caster level for effects instead of staying at 1st.
You get a modified spell list for illusions. Getting some illusion spells sooner than normal. Silent Image as a 0-level instead of 1st. There are a total of 9 spells you get sooner than normal.

The shadow craft mage gets...
+1 spell casting per level
A cloak of shadow - get concealment
Cast illusion spells "Silent"
shadow illusion - add shadow effect to more spells (Like shadow conjuration)
Cast illusion spells "extended"
Powerful shadow magic - shadow magic is more powerful

SO at this point I'm not sure if I want to do the whisper gnome or the substitution levels.

As I mentioned above, I'm also looking for some good ideas for use of the illusion spells.

Thanks for the help & ideas.

RigaMortus

Explorer
You may want to check out the Illusionist varriants from UA. They seem a bit better to me than your standard Illusionist from Core 3.5.

Tidus4444 said:
you're in FR, so be sure to take spellcasting prodigy.

Spellcasting Prodigy isn't as good as it used to be. It was reprinted in one of the 3.5 FR books (Faerun Player's Guide perhaps?). Anyway, now it gives for a "virtual" +2 to your main spellcasting attribute for the sole purpose of bonus spells. So if you have an 18 Int, treat it as a 20 when determining bonus spells.

It used to also raise the DC on all your spells by +1, but it does not do that anymore. :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads