• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Building an undead Treant - Suggestions?

just__al

First Post
I'm trying to build an undead Treant for a freaky kind of encounter. The players have encountered a normal treant in the past (Helpful) Sargasso Sentenials from Sandstorm (Think Cactus Treants) who were hostiles turned neutral by the end of the encounter and now since they are facing off against a necromancer I want an Undead Treant.

Once I settle on how to make it undead it's definately going to be spell stitched because the image of an old dead tree carved full of arcane grafitti suddenly coming to live just seems freaky and cool.

Any good template suggestions? The fact that plants can't normally be undead doesn't bother me at all, Rule Zero and all that...

EricNoah

Adventurer
Pathfinder #6 had an undead treant in it. I don't think they used a template, they just changed the creature type, HD type, gave it undead and plant immunities, gave it Unholy Toughness to beef up its hit points, and gave it some poisonous fungal growths on it.

I like your spellstitched idea. I would think an undead tree might be really thirsty, so if you can find a spell that desicates the target that might be appropriate. Or it could be thirsty for blood -- something that drains blood?

just__al

First Post
EricNoah said:
Pathfinder #6 had an undead treant in it. I don't think they used a template, they just changed the creature type, HD type, gave it undead and plant immunities, gave it Unholy Toughness to beef up its hit points, and gave it some poisonous fungal growths on it.

I like your spellstitched idea. I would think an undead tree might be really thirsty, so if you can find a spell that desicates the target that might be appropriate. Or it could be thirsty for blood -- something that drains blood?

Don't you publish Pathfinder? What a shill :p

Thanks. I'll have to check it out.

There are three different kinds of undead tree creature in Into the Green from Bastion Press. I created one of them (the uragh dhu, or black yew), which had level drain, a fear aura, a triproot attack, and the ability to rot wooden objects. The latter freaked out druids and rangers with wooden weapons like staves and bows.

In Castle Shadowcrag (Wolfgang Baur, Open Design) there's a blood-draining tree that drinks it through its leaves. Very creepy.

The idea is sound. What if the tree doesn't just drink your blood, but injects you with something that turns you into a plant? Get hit a couple times, fail a save, and now you're a tree rooted to the spot!

Aeolius

Adventurer
and I was just looking at this the other day:
med_popup_3.jpg

Hemlock

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads