• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Building Playable Golem Race (Soul Golem) feedback welcome

Satyrn

First Post
Id also like to leave out the shrink ability, but I'm presuming that would be too much of a pain for the dm to accomodate a large creature for every dungeon, house or similar situation. Having to wait outside also seems kind of boring.
Ah! I was wondering why Shrink was in there. D&D 3e and other d20 games have included Large size creatures in the past with (I'd guess) no serious issues like that, so I think you're safe scrapping Shrink. You could also keep it in one of the subraces as a choice for a player with such a concern (and basing the subrace's theme around that ability).

I think I took the warforged and tried to make it large. With large comes an extra weapon dice, -1ac, 10ft reach, 10x10 size, grappling huge creatures. From what I read, the consensus was that these traits would be too powerful for a pc race. So i tried to keep the race medium.
It's really the just the weapon die. Bugbears in Volo's Guide already get 10-foot reach, the 10-foot fighting space is nice but not overpowering, and the ability to grapple huge creatures is situational at best (besides, you're still going to be contending with Strength scores in the 25-30 range). But double-damage weapons are a big deal. The trick is finding a plausible reason to limit the race to Medium weapons. Easy enough for something like a centaur: their arms are humanoid-sized. Harder for something built on true giant proportions.

Also, remember that in 5E large creatures do not get -1 AC by default. If you give it to this race you're saying that there's something making them especially easy to hit. And I think -2 Dex would convey that point much more organically.

Id also like to leave out the shrink ability, but I'm presuming that would be too much of a pain for the dm to accomodate a large creature for every dungeon, house or similar situation. Having to wait outside also seems kind of boring.
I'd leave it out. Humans can fit into halfling-sized buildings, it's just an uncomfortable squeeze. As long as a large race is proportionate to a human as a human is to a halfling, it should be fine. Besides, it's much more flavorful to have to crouch than to have an ability that just lets them shrink. At that point, why even be large?

Vulf

First Post
Seems to be in line with everything else I see on Dandwiki.

The template you present would work fine for NPCs. A whole city of Soul Golems would be a fun delve.

As for what version of Warforged to use as a basis for player races in 5e?
The ones from the Ebberron Unearthed Arcana are a fine place to start. Steer far away from any natural weapons, innate suits of armor, and healing disadvantage for living constructs. That has not been a thing since 3rd.

If you want some inspiration, check out the Shardmind race from 4th edition. It wouldn't take much to convert them and they seem to fit the bill.

Dandwiki is not a place you should visit for campaign ideas if you are a new player or dm. That place is the wild west, it is unfortunate that its name makes it seem official and causes it to pop up in searches.

Last edited:

greel

First Post
why do you want to play a large race?
In my mind it would be fun to roleplay a hulking and strong creature.
The trick is finding a plausible reason to limit the race to Medium weapons. Easy enough for something like a centaur: their arms are humanoid-sized. Harder for something built on true giant proportions.
I would like the race to be really hulking. I couldn't think of a reason why they shouldn't be able to wield weapons short of removing their hands. So thats the reason for restricting use of weapons and armor and adding unarmed strike damage and natural armor. Sadly his makes the race feel like half a class.
I'd leave it out. Humans can fit into halfling-sized buildings, it's just an uncomfortable squeeze. As long as a large race is proportionate to a human as a human is to a halfling, it should be fine. Besides, it's much more flavorful to have to crouch than to have an ability that just lets them shrink. At that point, why even be large?
With the size described here I think it would be difficult to fit a golem into a human sized house. The rules say that a large creature can squeeze into spaces one size smaller so ruleswise it would work, but I cant see even a 16ft creature squeezing through a townhouse door. What about a dwarf sized mine tunnel? I simply wouldn't want the DM to be constantly aware of size restrictions or the player getting bored because he/she has to wait outside. Maybe the shrink ability should have stronger drawbacks so you wouldn't/couldn't use it all the time.

Remove ads