Building the Megadungeon

Ariosto

First Post
We should also consider how many entrances to develop. I would say, 4d6 to the Upper Levels, 2d6 to the Middle Levels, and 1d6 to the Lower Levels. Of these, most will be hidden and/or otherwise obscure. Discovery of a new way into/out of the dungeon can be a treasure itself!
That is true -- but easy movement among levels is not something on which to skimp. It is fundamental to players' ability to choose their level of risk (and commensurate reward), and they should not have to spend much time slogging through familiar precincts. A bit of seeing familiar sights can be pleasant, letting them relish the signs of victories past before restocking (if you engage in that dynamic) in effect undoes much of their work. The situation should be a very, very far cry, though, from having to "clear a level and defeat the boss" (or find the hidden key to the next level) as in a video game before proceeding to whatever new challenges they may choose.

Here's another note related to mobility, brought to mind by reference in another thread to the Temple of Elemental Evil. As I recall, about 60% of rooms therein were occupied by monsters. That is basically the opposite of how a traditional D&D dungeon should be: The 1E DMG recommends that 60% should be empty -- at least in terms of monsters, treasures, tricks and traps. (In OD&D, the figure is about 56%, "in the same ballpark").

If players are to do more than just wander about kicking in doors and getting into fights, then they need space through which to maneuver with some freedom. They need "empty" chambers to facilitate reconnaissance, and also to enable evasion of pursuit.

In the latter regard, branching and turning (to block lines of sight) corridors are also most helpful.

Ariosto

First Post
Dungeon doors in the old game tend to confound adventurers, resisting attempts to open them or to keep them open, while posing no such problem for inhabitants of the underworld. If that is so in your game, then resist the temptation always to leave but one (or no) way in or out of a room that is not closed with a door.

Jack7

First Post
RC, I also like the method(s) you adopted in developing your megadungeon.

I've had trouble getting on-site recently, but I like what I've read of how you are approaching your design concept.

Ariosto

First Post
I do not yet know much about RCFG, and my memory almost certainly serves much less than perfectly in terms of where you are otherwise coming from in dungeon design. Often enough, my offering of a point may primarily reflect a need to remind myself of it!

Among the temptations to which I am personally prone is to get into a rut of thinking of things first in terms of combat scenarios, or more broadly in terms of situations involving physical peril and likely to be resolved by rolling dice.

That has sent a lot on second thought into the "round file"! A lot of anything densely packed is probably (as a rule of thumb) not so good as more variety.

On the other hand, too much thought seems to me a frontier very easily crossed. If one had to settle for but one piece of advice, the one most proven in my experience would be, "Put down the pencil and pick up the dice." Design in isolation from active play tends not only to yield diminishing returns, I think, but to turn out a lot of shoddy. The acid test is not how it looks on paper!

Along the same line, keeping a foot on the other side of the screen is invaluable. I have found that Internet play seems not to suit me, but I would turn to it rather than give up being a player altogether. In the event, I find some stimulation in playing 4E -- despite the fact that in so many telling ways it drains rather than recharges my psychic batteries. Regardless, there is a value in having close at hand the experience of having "the shoe on the other foot".

I look forward to more of your sharing this process. Whatever little value my ramblings may (knock on wood) contribute is but a pittance next to all the good ideas I will take to my own profit as a DM!

Last edited:

meomwt

First Post
St. McCoy?? ;)

Perhaps you could also work in a Tennant's Hall (perhaps an Inn or Hostel remaining in the Upper Levels and usable as a safe haven, with neutrality between different factions enforced by Golem "bouncers") or The Fount of Jon the Beloved (a source of holy water, perhaps) as well.

Sorry. I can spot your tongue in cheek, and couldn't resist. I'll be keeping my eye on the mega-dungeon as it develops. Thanks for sharing :)

Remove ads