• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Buildings for minis

Anthraxus

Explorer
Hi all. I was just wondering what is a good, fairly cheap way to make your own buildings for use in D&D? I have seen nice buildings and castles at Conventions that look well made, but unfortunately never asked how they were constructed.

Any advice on how to build things like watchtowers, 2 story houses, town walls, etc..? Any good links to articles?

Thanks!
:)

alsih2o

First Post
reinforced plaster or "ludo" works well for many things.

5 parts plaster of paris (dry) 3 parts vermiculite and 1 part sand (all by volume) mixed with enuf water: pour into a mold made of clay or an oiled pan, remove when stiffened work before firming.

alternitavely: portland cement and fine sawdust plus some chopped nylon fiber makes an excellent and quite durable fake stone.

also: straight ceramic, in any one of many bodies

or: "air-hardening" clay with additions of powdered oxides or vermiculite works pretty well, but has brittle problems.

if you are looking for a rough look, unleavened dough shaped, baked and shellaced then painted can do some neat things.

check your local yellow pages under stone, many types of paving stone come in thin sections that look just like, well, stone :)

"rodding" can help with floors and ceilings, it isn't to difficult and can replicate most architecture styles.(email me for this one i can already here everyone falling asleep) as well as aquiring pallettes and making modular forms fron their cheap, rough wood.

zip me an email if you wish, i can maybe go more in depth...

kengar

First Post
This is actually a pretty cool way to go just for tactical if you don't want to spend a lot or turn it into a whole new hobby. Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;)

Anthraxus

Explorer
Thanks for the advice! It was all very useful :)

I think I will start with the printed, fold-up models until I work up the courage(and the time!) to use the more complex forms of construction. Foamcore- I think that is how alot of the houses and castles I have seen at Cons were built.

pogre

Legend
Hirst Art Blocks are the way to go for the best look, but they are not cheap.

A mold will run you around $35 w/shipping. And dental plaster runs $45 for 50 lbs. Add in glue and other tidbits - it is a bit steep getting started. Once you are going though it can be pretty economical.

KnowTheToe

First Post
pogre said:
Hirst Art Blocks are the way to go for the best look, but they are not cheap.

A mold will run you around $35 w/shipping. And dental plaster runs $45 for 50 lbs. Add in glue and other tidbits - it is a bit steep getting started. Once you are going though it can be pretty economical.

Not to metion, that is a lot of painting and time for something that has little effect on a game. I think it would be cool if I were independantly wealthy.

Gizzard

First Post
Another angle on the fold up buildings -- Wizards has a bunch of fold-up buildings on their website in the Chainmail section. It looks like you could be underway with a color printer, some glue and some thin cardboard. Not high-end stuff, but probably very little work involved.

Last edited:

Remove ads