• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bull Rush, Charges, Combat Challenge and OAs

wayne62682

First Post
Two questions, since it came up in a discussion via IM with my DM:

1) Do charges and bull rushes provoke OAs? My DM says no because it's a Standard action, not a Move action, but I say yes because it's not the type of the action that provokes, its the act of moving that provokes. Regardless of the action that you're taking, you're still moving out of a threatened square.

2) If either of those do provoke OAs, how does it work with a Fighter's Combat Challenge, which stops movement? If someone passes through me and I get an OA on them, does it cancel out their charge/bull rush?

Mort_Q

First Post
The text they have up on the D&DI Compendium for Charge, in the glossary, specifically mentions that it provokes.

Yes, a fighter can stop a Charging opponent, and technically, barring special powers of feats, that ends their turn.

Thundershield

First Post
Just nitpicking, but it's the Fighter's Combat Superiority class feature that stops enemies when movement provokes an OA and the Fighter hits. Combat Challenge is the ability to mark and use immediate actions to smack marked targets when they do something stupid. ;)

Fighters are one of the best Defenders currently, alongside Swordmages. Wardens still need a bit of work on their stickiness, and Paladins hopefully gets a bunch of new tools in Divine Power as they're horribly unimpressive... ("What, just 8 radiant damage and a -2 penalty to attack for marked? Sure, I'll smack your Shaman buddy instead. And then I'll go over here so you'll be hard pressed to maintain the Challenge and thus lose the ability to re-apply it on your next turn.")

cstyln

First Post
im running into some of the same problems this week with charging. My guys started to shift one square out of OA range, then charge a differant oppenent. The only thing that i startd doing is using my mobs in the same fashion. I may have to apply the eye for an eye tatic.

Dalzig

First Post
im running into some of the same problems this week with charging. My guys started to shift one square out of OA range, then charge a differant oppenent. The only thing that i startd doing is using my mobs in the same fashion. I may have to apply the eye for an eye tatic.

Fighting in this fashion shouldn't pose a problem much of the time. Charging limits you to a MBA, which is behind par for most characters. The only characters that greatly benefit are those made for charging, so why shouldn't they use their schtick?

Khime

Explorer
Since all the answers so far have been focusing on charging, I'll mention that a bull rush does not, in fact, provoke an OA. The text specifically says that you push the target 1 square, and shift into the vacated space.

As for the charge, the text for OA's (PHB p290) indeed says that it's leaving a square (without a shift, teleport, or forced movement) adjacent to you that triggers the OA, not "taking a move action." And the rules for the charge action itself specifically say it provokes OAs (PHB p288); I think you DM stopped reading the rules for charge on p287.

Remove ads