• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Burbur

dhaga

First Post
There was a request for this 2e Forgotten Realms creature over on the WotC boards. I ended up converting the monster over to 3e. It's a pretty simple creature, but decided I may as well submit it here and get some feedback :) Maybe even get it added to the catalogue...

Burbur
Type: Diminutive Vermin
Hit Dice: 1/2d8 (2 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 10 ft.
AC: 15 (+4 Size, +1 Dex)
Attacks: Bite +4 melee
Damage: Bite 1d2-4 and Consume
Face/Reach: 2 ½ ft. by 2 ½ ft. / 0 ft.
Special Attacks: Consume 2d4 (affects slimes, mosses, molds only)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Immunities
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +1
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 12, Con 10, Int --, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Climb +8*
Feats: None
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Climate/Terrain: Any land
Organization: Solitary or Pod (1- 4)
Challenge Rating: 1/6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: None

Burburs look very much like worms. They are between 6” and 1’ long, with ivory or yellow skin that is soft and moist. They have large, glistening black eyes and a sucking tube for a mouth. There is a pair of tiny forelegs behind the creature’s head, which the burbur can use to climb, grib, and manipulate objects.

Burburs feed only on slimes, molds, or mosses, and are unable to inflict damage on other living things. When a burbur needs to feed, it simply crawls onto the body of the target creature, extends its feeding tube, and begins to suck up its meal. The burbur must make a successful attack roll against the creature to begin feeding, but once it is successful in this roll, it is attached to the creature via its feeding tube, and need not make another attack roll unless it is dislodged from its feeding location.

For each round it spends feeding, it deals 2d4 points of damage to the target. When a burbur has inflicted (consumed) 3 times its own hit points worth of damage (food), it is full, and will cease feeding. When full, burburs appear bloated, and will move sluggishly.

Immunities: Burburs are immune to the attacks of all slimes, mosses, and molds, including oblivax (memory moss). They are also unaffected by yellow musk creepers, zygoms, and violet fungi, though the burbur find those creatures inedible. Burburs are affected normally by oozes, puddings, and jellies, as well as by other creatures.

Skills: Burburs use their Dexterity modifier for Climb checks.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Coincidentially, I also converted the burbur last year, here. I've got some errors, and it is mostly 3.0. I see we had several of the same ideas, but differ in others. Your version retains the "slimes, mosses and molds" line, while I tried to streamline it into the 3E types (not very elegantly, as I'll freely admit). I don't really think that Consume should have a Strength penalty, though.

Burbur
Diminutive Vermin
Hit Dice:
1/4d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 size), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Attacks: Bite -1 melee
Damage: Bite 1d2-5 plus consume
Face/Reach: 1 ft. by 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Consume
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunities, vermin traits
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +1
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 13, Con 10, Int \, Wis 12, Cha 1
Skills: Climb +5, Listen +5, Spot +5
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary, pair or group (1-4)
Challenge Rating: 1/8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: None
Burburs are small, wormlike creatures that feast on normally deadly creatures like oozes and plants.
The head of this creature has large eyes shimmering black, and instead of a mouth, it has a mosquito-like tube(tr?). Directly behind the head, two legs usable for climbing and some primitive manipulating cn be found. Their yellowish or ivory body with their soft, wet skin exudes a smell similar to that of cinnamon.
Adventurers have been known to adopt these creatures when venturing into the Deep Realms, where the burburs can find plenty of food.
Combat
Burburs are normally harmless creatures, only sucking oozes and some plants dry.
Consume (Ex): A burbur that successfully bites an ooze or a plant with an Intelligence of 3 or less, it latches onto the creature and deals 2d4 points of damage per round. It does not need to make a new attack roll until it detaches from the creature. Once the burbur has dealt 12 points of damage plus 1 point of damage per hit point it has, it automatically detaches, satiated.
Immunities: Burburs are immune to the special attacks of oozes and of plants with an Intelligence score of 3 or less.
Vermin Traits: A burbur is immune to mind-affecting effects.
Skills: Burburs use their Dexterity modifier for Climb checks instead of their Strength modifier.
Burburs as Familiars
Characters will the ability to obtain familiars can obtain a burbur as a standard familiar. All the normal rules for familiars apply, except for the following:
A burbur familiar, as a Magical Beast with an Intelligence score, does not benefit from the immunity to mind-affecting effects that normal Vermin have.
The master of the burbur familiar receives a +4 bonus to saves against the special abilities of oozes and of plants withan Intelligence score of 3 or less.

dhaga

First Post
They do look pretty similar, don't they? :)

I agree that Consume should not have the Str penalty; not too sure why I added it on there.

The darkvision is a good idea, as well.

Going to make the changes at your suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Knight Otu

First Post
As I said, my solution was not very elegant. The typical food of the burbur would be split between oozes and some subtypes of plants, mostly molds and mosses. Those are mostly unintelligent, but for some reason, I decided that it also applies to a few intelligent, but "dumb", plants. I really couldn't have used all plants, as it should not have an effect on things like treants, so I limited it to lower than 3.
Another thing my solution misses are the hazards, such as green slime, since they are usually untyped.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads