Burning Empires: Boldaq

LostSoul

Adventurer
Maneuver 2, same session.

Scene. Duke von Zágaš, Colour.

The Duke's private chambers. He stands at his fireplace, the flames casting shadows against the black rock walls behind him. In his hands he holds a picture of Lord Tovol as a child.

He casts the picture into the fire.

Scene. Colour, Lady Neer.

Lady Neer's bathing chambers on Zágaš. She lowers herself into a bath of blue water.

"Bring us more of the Gul Janat oil from Boldaq," she says to a servant.

Scene. Colour, Kaeli.

A grav sled races through the skies above Boldaq.

Scene. Kofer Pyatt, colour.

Kofer Pyatt watches the grav sled from the bottom of a canyon. Behind him is an entrance to the Vaylen cave.

He pulls out a detonator, and triggers it. There is a soft "boom" and the cave collapses behind him. Then he sets off a flare and signals the grav sled.

Scene. Kofer Pyatt, building.

The grav sled touches down. A woman dressed in anvil steps out and takes off her helmet, loosing her hair.

Kofer Pyatt embraces her with a kiss. His bright mark flares and they form a connection, sharing each other's mind.

"I want to know how you feel about Lord Tovol."

"I feel nothing for him," she lies.

Scene. Bortei, Interstitial.

Kaeli hears Bortei's voice in her head. "I know what you are doing. If you come to me, open your heart to, you can redeem yourself."

Scene. Duke von Zágaš, Interstitial.

Fat Chaz floats helplessly in a vat of green oil. His skin sags off his face and arms.

The Duke enters.

"What do you want of me?" Fat Chaz asks. "I will do whatever you want, my Lord."

"Be patient. The time is almost right for me to reveal you, my new weapon."

Scene. Lady Neer, Building.

Lady Neer is writing letters in her office when a servant arrives. "The Gul Janat has arrived from Boldaq, milady," the servant says, placing a small package on her desk.

Lady Neer opens it. She sees the Pali's code in the way the bottles are arrayed: "The time of crisis is at hand. Be by Lord Tovol's side. Offer court support."

Scene. Duke von Zágaš, Building.

Lord Tovol is finishing dressing for a formal dinner before court. There is a knock at his door. It is the Duke.

"Son. There is something you need to see." He holds out a holoprojector, and an image of Kaeli kissing Kofer Pyatt appears.

Lord Tovol's face goes red and he slaps the holo out of his father's hands.

"I understand your anger, my son. I wanted to be the one to show you this, so you didn't have to hear the news from a common servant. I care for you."

Father leads son down a long, twisting hall within the palace. "Son, I want you to rethink your promotion. There is much that a Forged Lord must do, must know, if he is to lead well. There are responsibilities that you cannot even imagine. I worry that you don't have what it takes to be a Forged Lord.

"You can't even hold onto a woman," he finishes as they enter the dining chamber.

They sit at the head of the table, Lord Tovol on the Duke's right side. Lord Tovol raises a glass. "Are your responsibilities what keep you from being able to perfom with a woman?" he says quietly.

The Duke yells out: "Say that again, Tovol!" All of court suddenly quiets and turns to look at the Duke.

Scene. Conflict, Lord Tovol.

The Duke smiles, his natural charm helping to cover the social gaffe. "Excuse me. Yes, Lord Tovol, what were you saying? I believe it had to do with your Anvil - why you had yet to inspect your troops. You have been here some time now, and you have not yet performed your first inspection. Perhaps you need more time on Zágaš than I first thought."

"I have been inspecting the bureaucracy and administration here on Zágaš. It is riddled with rank incompetence and corruption, at its highest levels. It does not befit the name of Zágaš, and before I can see our funds spent appropriately I must clean it out."

From a nearby table, Lady Neer lends her voice to Lord Tovol: "Lord Tovol, your Grace, that is just what is needed - a fresh perspective from outside to clean away the corruption one finds too close to court. If only all Lords were as wise as you, the Duke's glory would be that much greater."

The Duke looks at the Lady, surprised to hear support for Lord Tovol in his own court. "Yes, Lady Neer, perhaps you are correct. Corruption is a serious matter and we are fortunate to have Lord Tovol here to aid us. Once more, I am glad I made the decision to make him Forged Lord.

"I will give you whatever support you need, Lord Tovol. My men will always be at your side." The Duke waves two men in Iron to stand behind Lord Tovol. "These men will execute my will. They will be my eyes and ears upon you, so that we are never out of touch."

Maneuver. Vaylen Conserve vs. Human Take Action (activate rebel line). 7s vs 4s, Vaylen success.

News reaches Boldaq as the months roll by: Lord Tovol will not be returning this season.

The warlords of Boldaq - many of whom see Lord Tovol as their ancestor and leader, a man of courage and honour - take this as a slap in the face. Why should they submit to the will of the Duke? If he does not let his own son live free, why would we be any different?

An insurgency grows. Raids on local magistrates grow more and more frequent. Anvil loses ground, and the Hammer is still without a leader, unable to put down the rebellion.

But the Hammer does not stay rudderless for long. A new fleet jumps into Boldaq with a decree from the Duke himself: a new Hammer Lord has come to Boldaq!

Margrave Chazovic, Fat Chaz. Reformed by the Duke himself.

Fat Chaz wastes no time. He contacts Draz Tolo and brings the pirates into his fleet. The pirates turn on their allies in the insurgency and Fat Chaz decimates them.

On Zágaš, people remark on the Duke's great judgement and wisdom. Destroying the insurgency and the remainder of the pirate threat in one stroke! His enemies are right to fear him.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Ooh look, new style. We added a new player here too.

EXT - THE SLUMS OF AHOYDIA
Pali Edrene, Colour.

The Pali gets into a grav car and heads out into the marshes.

EXT - THE BADLANDS
Kofer Pyatt, Interstitial.

Kofer Pyatt and Kaeli embrace on a craggy precipice. Below them: the majesty of the harsh Boldaq badlands.

"Kaeli, come with me to train with the Pali. Walk the Lar-ti-Largi with me."

"I will, my love," she says.

EXT. MARSH VILLAGE
Pali Ederene, Conflict.

Two grav cars slide into a run-down marsh village. The air is thick with decay. People rush to pull their kids out of the muck they are playing in and into their stilt-raised reed shacks.

The Pali heads to a shack made from corrugated metal and calls out the Hetman of the village. A lumpy, balding man slinks out.

The Pali tells him that he's going to take them up to his palace and train them to cleanse the galaxy. The hetman shies away, speaking his fears: "You are going to kill us! Just tell us what you want, and we'll give it to you; but please, leave us alone!"

Disgusted, Kofer Pyatt spits on the ground. "Pal-wan Butanah!" The hetman flees.

The Pali turns to Kofer Pyatt. He answers the unspoken question: "Don't waste your time on scum like this. They are weak - they don't deserve to be lifted from this muck."

"All humans have a right to be taught."

Kofer Pyatt kicks over a bubbling pot. "You call these people human?" The stew spills on the ground. Gnawed white bones stand out in the muck. Human bones.

The Pali stares in disbelief. "By the Tir-Khan," he gasps. "Very well, Kofer. Take this cringing man and train him yourself. If you cannot train him, then I will leave the butanah to their fate."

INT. A NIGHTCLUB IN AHOYDIA - NIGHT
Kadaath, Building.

Kadaath: jagged scar, lean. Two pistols. Scans the dance floor. Gaze falls on Draz Tolo, talking to one of his men. The man leaves Tolo alone.

A young, chubby boy, shirtless, runs up to Kadaath. Both of his eyes are blackened. He looks at the ground when he speaks: "The great Draz Tolo, The Butcher, wants to speak with you."

Kadaath stands. His men rise with him. They cross the club in a phalanx. The boy follows.

"Kadaath, good to see you again," Draz Tolo says. "I've got a job that calls for your... unique methods, and I need to keep my hands clean now that I've gone legit."

"I'm listening."

"See this boy?" He yanks a leash tied around the boy's neck. "We are going to use him to blackmail the Pali. I want you to hang on to him, and when I ask for it -"

"I want double my regular rate."

"Done."

"Ten times, then."

"Ha! Done. Hell, I'll throw in some women, too. Now that Fat Chaz is Hammer Lord of this dirtball, we've got money to spare. Bartender! Bring those new girls out!"

A line of young women come out from a back room. "They're all new, just picked up from the marshes. Drugged, so they can't fight back."

One of Kadaath's men ogles the girls. Kadaath pulls out a pistol and shoots him in the head.

"You haven't lost your touch," Draz Tolo says. "Maybe you'd like a professional?"

Kadaath nods to one of his men. "Ezran, check them out." He starts up with the off-world women who came here following the troops. Kadaath stands still, a few paces away from Draz Tolo.

Ezran grabs at a woman. He isn't gentle. She screams. Everyone looks - everyone save Kadaath and Draz Tolo.

The bartender turns to Draz - "Hey boss, you can't stand for that, look what he's doing-"

Draz Tolo: "I don't care what he does with that whore-"

Out of the corner of his eye, Draz Tolo spots Kadaath going for his pistols. Tolo's hands flash and his CEBW is out.

Energy flares and the club is lit bright as day for a second. Draz jumps behind the bar. Kadaath peppers it. Draz's men start firing wildly, and Kadaath's men respond. The club goers scream and run for the entrances, some dying from the crossfire, some trampled to death.

Ezran grabs Kadaath. "Boss, you're hurt! He got you! Let's get out of here!"

Kadaath fires a few more shots as he is dragged out of the club by his men.

EXT. PLANET ZAGAS - ANVIL PARADE GROUNDS
Forged Lord Tovol, Colour.

The Zagas palce is made of ancient, black stone carved from solid rock generations ago. Lord Tovol stands on a balcony watching his Anvil drill, just as his ancestors did.

A wigged noble stands next to Lord Tovol. "Ah hmmm, your troops are doing quite well, yes? Yes, hmmm ha hmmm."

A runner, hardly a man, never a boy, sprints to Lord Tovol. He snaps a quick, excited salute. "We really got them in that last exchange, sir!"

The wig draws his sword and slams the boy in the head with its hilt. The runner slumps to the ground, bleeding from the scalp. "Show your betters the proper respect!" the wig snaps.

The runner looks up at Lord Tovol, whose cold, steel gaze never leaves the parade grounds. "He is right. Next time, address me with my full title. Medic!"

INT. PLANET ZAGAS - DUKE VON ZAGAS' PRIVATE CHAMBERS
Duke von Zagas, Colour.

The Duke stares out a window and sees, far below, Lord Tovol von Zagas inspecting his troops.

"Has it come to this? Have I turned my own son against me? I must correct this mistake. If only I could trust him..."

INT. PLANET ZAGAS - LORD TOVOL'S OFFICES
Forged Lord Tovol, Building.

Lord Tovol sits at his desk looking over dozens of graphs and charts. He sighs loudly.

A knock at the door. Lady Neer Krishmurly glides in. Her skin is glistening under a thin, low-necked floor length dress. The sweet smell of gul janat rolls off her in waves. "Your Grace," she says, performing a small curtsie. "You wished to see me?"

"Yes. Our mutual friend, the Pali Edrene, said you might offer assistance-"

"Any assistance you might need." She smiles. "ANY."

"I am having trouble financing my Anvil. Lord Goss stripped the men of their supplies, and they haven't been paid for months now."

"What I have is yours. I shall open my treasuries for you."

"Thank you, my lady."

"Now if there is any other assistance you might need -"

"I could not ask for more." There is a knock at the door. "Excuse me, my lady, I have other business to attend to. If you will...?"

"Certainly, Lord Tovol. My monies will have to do. Remember, I am here for you."

"I will."

Lady Neer leaves, and Lord Tovol's accountant enters. "Your Grace, I hope things went well with the Lady Neer?"

"Yes. You will have access to her funds."

"Excellent, my Lord. We will have your troops combat-ready within the month."

There is another, loud knock at Lord Tovol's door. The new Forged Lord lets out a sigh. "Yes? What is it?" He shouts.

INT. SAME
Duke von Zagas, Interstitial.

The Black Duke enters Tovol's office. "If I may have a word with you my son?" he asks.

"Of course, Your Majesty. Accountant - leave us." Tovol's accountant bows quickly and leaves.

"Good." The Duke walks to a window and gazes out. "Son, things have become tense between us."

"They have."

"I don't want to lose you, Tovol. Boldaq has driven us apart. You are my son, and I care for you - but this planet could mean the Hanrilke Throne and the Primarchy for me. I can't let it slip away from me.

"We could work together. We should work together. If only there was some way I could trust you again..."

"Father, if you support the Pali-"

"Edrene? Why bring up that heretic's name!" The Duke spins and turns at his son. "He has damaged me - us, our family - in the past. Why do you listen to him?"

"He is a good man, my Liege. He sees the way of things to come."

"Son - I didn't want it to come to this, but there is no other way. I need you to submit to a Divination administered by Lord Goss. He can purge the heresy Edrene has put into you."

"-what?"

"It is the only way I can trust you, Tovol."

"A Divination? You would have me do that? Father, I cannot."

"...very well, Lord Tovol." He turns, black cape flowing, and walks out of the room.

INT. PLANET ZAGAS - OUTSIDE LORD TOVOL'S OFFICES
Duke von Zagas, Building.

The Duke turns to an aide. "Did he accept, your Majesty?" the aide asks.

"He did not. Summon Lord Goss. He will have to do this thing whether my son wishes it or not."

INT. PLANET ZAGAS - LORD GOSS' SUITE
Forged Lord Tovol, Intersitial.

High Inquisitor Lord Goss sits at his desk. Under it, burned into the stone floor, is the wheel of fire on which all men's destinies turn. He is speaking to the Duke on his comm screen.

"Remember, Goss," the Duke says, "Lord Tovol will not be a willing subject. You have my permission to detain him with whatever force you deem necessary."

"As you command, Metropolitan."

There is a knock at his door. Lord Goss flips off the screen. "Enter."

Lord Tovol walks in. "Lord Goss, I am here to submit to your Divination."

INT. Kadaath's HIDEOUT
Kadaath, Colour.

Kadaath is beating Ezran.

INT. SAME

Brother Lintor comes in. "The Pali wants to thank you for what you did to Draz."

"No problem."

He goes back to beating Ezran.

INT. DRAZ TOLO'S FORTRESS
Kadaath, Interstitial.

Kadaath comes up to Draz Tolo's place, unarmed.

Says he'll still do the job.

Draz Tolo accepts.

INT. PODALAH PALACE
Kofer Pyatt, Building.

Kofer Pyatt trains with the Pali and Kaeli.

Draz Tolo calls. "Deal with Lord Tovol or else."

"No."

Kadaath strangles the boy.

Kofer Pyatt: "I know where that signal is coming from."

Pali: "Bortei! Go there, now!" Pali leaves to watch them get ready. Bortei jumps into his grav sled and races out across the desert with the rest of the Pali's cavalry. Kaeli goes with them.

Kofer Pyatt turns to the comm. "Fat Chaz, Bortei's coming. Take him out so I can have Kaeli all to myself."

EXT. DRAZ TOLO'S FORTRESS
Firefight, Fat Chaz.

Bortei comes racing up the road. "Bonzai!" Fat Chaz's ships scream out of the sun.

Fat Chaz orders a lock. They link up with the fortress.

Kadaath issues odd orders, but the lock is successful.

Missiles fire and force Bortei and his grav team into the open, where the fortress artillery cuts them up. Bortei loses control of his ship and skids off the plateau, crashing in the open desert.

EXT. NEARBY MOUNTAIN
MANEUVER. Human Take Action (activate slaves & serfs) vs. Vaylen Flak. Human 4s, Vaylen 1s defense/2s attack.

Kofer Pyatt and the marsh hetman look over the smoking rising from the firefight. "This is what the Pali brings. Are you up to the task?"

EXT. MARSH VILLAGE
In the village square, drunken men sing and dance round a bonfire, painting themselves with the mark of the Pali. They cry out the new legend - "the Pali saves all".

LostSoul

Adventurer
Two weeks ago:

INT. PLANET ZÁGAŠ - LORD GOSS' DIVINATION CHAMBERS
Duel of Wits.

Lord Tovol went into Lord Goss' Divination chambers: picture an operating theatre, the table fitted with straps. Carved into the floor is that symbol of the Mundus Humanitus. Two burning braziers light up the room, shadows flickering on the walls.

Lord Tovol was strapped down while two Keepers of the Flame attended to him, chanting the rituals of cleansing. Lord Goss entered, prepared for the Divination. The Black Duke watched from the viewing balcony above.

"Confess your sins! We will burn the stain of the false prophet Edrene and his Karsan heresy from you!" Lord Goss cried.

Tovol screamed as his flesh burned from the red-hot pokers. "Never! It is you who is the heretic!"

"You have been so corrupted by the lies of Edrene that you cannot see truth even when it burns in your vision. Confess!"

Skin sizzled, burned, leaving the mark of the Burning Wheel.

"Aaaaaah!"

"Confess!" His Bright Mark flared.

"I confess - I was duped by the serpent tongue of Edrene!"

Pokers touched raw nerves. "Swear that you will serve the Duke your father in his every whim!"

"I swear! I swear!"

"Enough." Lord Goss waved away the Keepers of the Flame. "Set him free; there is no sin left in him that the fire has not purged."

Lord Tovol fell to the ground. He reached out and found his father's hand, pulling him to his feet and into an embrace.

"Welcome back to the family."

INT. BOLDAQ - DRAZ TOLO'S MOUNTAIN FORTRESS
Interstitial.

Draz Tolo looked at the viewscreen. The screen was filled with smoke billowing from Bortei's downed assault shuttle. It twisted into shadows, faces leering, staring back at him.

Draz flicked off the screen and turned to Kadaath.

"Go and kill him for me - if there's anything left of him. I want to see his corpse."

Kadaath stared at him.

"Don't worry, you'll be paid."

Kadaath turned to leave.

"And watch yourself - he's got the Bright Mark. Take along one of my men." Draz pointed at a thuggish man leaning casually against the wall. "You! Snap to it. Go with Kadaath and report back to me. Make sure Bortei is dead."

INT. CRASH SITE - BORTEI'S SHUTTLE
Interstitial.

Thin beams of light streamed through the gaps torn in Bortei's shuttle. Sparks spat electricity at him as he struggled to extract himself from the wreckage. No use - he was pinned.

He looked around at his men. Dead and dying. He had failed the Pali. Draz Tolo and his assassin Kadaath survived.

Bortei's head snapped at a sound echoing from the back of the shuttle. Footsteps on metal. His Bright Mark flared, but pain clouded his mind.

Kadaath poked his head around the corner and into the ruined cockpit. His pistol was pointed at Bortei's head. "Show me one little flash of light and I'll blow a hole right where that Bright Mark is."

"What do you want with me, killer?"

Kadaath walked into the room, his gun trained all the time. Draz Tolo's man followed close behind. "Draz Tolo wants me to kill you and take your body back to him."

"What are you waiting for? Do it, then. I am ready."

Kadaath spinned and fired at Draz's man. The thug was hit square in the chest by a beam of coherent energy. A surprised look covered his face as he slumped down, eyes still open, life gone.

Kadaath put his pistol back on Bortei. "I'm no friend of Draz, but he's got the money. But I'm no fool. I know the value of a psychologist." He crept in close to Bortei. "I want you to swear an oath to me - serve me."

"I serve only the Pali!"

"You can do both - I don't have any problems with the old mystic. No profit there. But if you're stuck on it, I can end your life here."

"The Pali would not be served well by my death."

"Exactly my point. So what do you say?"

"I swear, I will serve you so long as it is in the best wishes of the Pali."

INT. THE PODALAH PALACE - THE PALI'S PSYCHOHISTORY CHAMBERS
Colour.

Blue light swirled around the Pali. Lists of data - lists upon lists upon lists - crashed over him. Economic data from Boldaq, from the Karsan League, from the Throne itself. His Bright Mark flared. On his head, a band of lights flickered to life.

The light and lists ceased. A door opened. Brother Lintor stood at its threshold.

"Is your device ready, blessed one?"

"It is. Take it to the dealers, the merchants, the warlords. We will make peace through profit."

INT. AHOYDIA - MERCHANT'S GUILD HOUSE
Building.

Voices murmured in the richly carpeted meeting room of the merchant's guild in Ahoydia. Rich merchants, grain sellers, I-As Patun dealers, lazuli miners, gul janat farmers, and warlords from the mountains all engaged in civil small talk with one another. All brought here by the Pali.

The main door opened and Brother Lintor walked in. His voice boomed out: "The Pali arrives!" A gong rang out.

The Pali walked in, wearing a gentle smile on his face.

"So, Pali," one of the richer lazuli miners said, "what did you bring all of us here for? What's this that you want us to see?"

The Pali pulled out his new device. "This. I have created this device to bring peace and the gift of Boldaq to the stars."

"With that little headband? Hah!"

"Try it."

The merchant looked around the room at the expectant faces and shrugged. "Think of your lazuli," the Pali said as he gently fitted it over the merchant's forehead, "and buyers for it."

The lights on the device flashed in a cycle. The man's eyes rolled back into his head. Silence gripped the room. Suddenly, his eyes sprang open. "Ah!" he cried out. "I can double my profits for this season!"

Excited murmurs waved through the crowd. They hushed at the Pali's raised hand.

"I have created this to aid with commerce - and through commerce, peace and growth. It will allow you to deal with the outworlders as though they were your own people - and to give them what is most valuable on Boldaq."

"What is that, Pali?"

"The seed of the future galactic evolution!" he cried out, and his Bright Mark flared, filling the room.

EXT. BADLANDS OF BOLDAQ
Building.

The marsh hetman walked across the blasted terrain, wearing the rust-red robes of a mountain ghazi. A rifle, clean and polished, was strapped to his back.

"Your rifle is your only ally in the badlands," Kofer Pyatt had said to him in the safety of the warlord's mountain fortress. "Keep it clean and ready to fire at all times. A rifle ill-maintained is worse than useless - it is like the sinkholes in your stinking marshes. Carelessly you expect the ground to support your step, and you walk right into your own death."

He pulled the thick woven cloth tight around him to stave off the cold of the oncoming night. His eyes scanned the horizon, trying to make sense of the shadows.

"But your rifle is nothing next to this," Kofer Pyatt had said to him during their training, cutting his arm with a knife. "Flesh and blood and the will to wield it. As you maintain your rifle, so must you steel your mind. It is the only true weapon you have."

He rubbed the wound, barely healed. Was this what it was like to walk on the Lar ta Largi? Maybe Pyatt was right, maybe they had no place in the Pali's plan for the galaxy. His feet ached and his back burned with the weight of the parcel Kofer Pyatt had given him. Pyatt would not let these things bother him, he thought.

Suddenly his mind was clear and the pain was gone. A sound out of place among the coming night. He froze. That shadow - was it there before? What should I do?

"The Path of Fire burns all but the bold." Kofer's words were clear in his mind. The rifle came out, firing. Flame lept from its barrel and the shapes were shadows no longer - now a man, slumped over, bleeding.

He had done it! A ghazi, feared by his father and his father before him - and he had killed him! Kofer Pyatt was wrong, he could learn, he could walk the Lar ta Largi-

Sudden pain, then darkness.

The ghazi carefully approached the fallen marsh hetman. "Lucky," one said, which brought frowns from the others. One searched the hetman's belongings as the others scanned the horizon. Unintentionally, he let out a gasp.

From the fallen hetman's robes, he brought forth a jar filled with liquid - and naiven worms.

INT. AHOYDIA - KADAATH'S HEADQUARTERS
Building.

Kadaath sat back calmly in his throne, looking over his people, master in this realm. Bortei was at his side.

Ezan approached. "Boss, you've got a message from Fat Chaz." He handed Kadaath a holo-player.

Kadaath opened it. The holo-player sprang to life. Fat Chaz was there - metal freak, skin dripping off his bones like wax.

"Kadaath," he said, "I'm disappointed in you. You didn't kill that little pet of the Pali Edrene's."

"I figured I'd keep him for myself. He's out of your hair now, what do you care?"

"Look, Kadaath - I want to keep a good working relationship with you. I've just gotten word that Lord Tovol's coming back."

"And?"

"And I want him dead when he shows up."

"That's going to cost a lot."

"The payment will be peace between us. If you don't do this for us, well - let's just say you don't want me as your enemy. And I don't think you'd prefer Tovol's reign over mine."

"Eh. What the hell. I'll do it."

"Glad to hear it," Fat Chaz said into the holo-player. "Got to go; I've got some cleaning up to do." He turned off the transmitter.

INT. FAT CHAZ'S HAMMER
Same.

Fat Chaz turned to look at the men arrayed in line before him. Each one bore bruises and cuts, signs of heavy fighting.

"These men are all loyal to Tovol?"

"They are," Draz said. "His top men. What we could find."

"What do you mean, 'what we could find'?"

"...we lost some of our hammer in the fighting."

"What?"

"Tovol's men overpowered our own. They've made for distortion - they're gone."

"For now. We'll see them when Tovol shows up." Fat Chaz turned to face his prisoners. "Hear that, scum? Tovol's coming. Your lord and master. But none of you are going to be around to welcome him back."

Fat Chaz left the room and gave Draz a signal. Draz put on his Anvil's enviroment-sealed helmet and locked himself into place. Secured, he opened the outer hatch, waving to the prisoners as the were blown back into the vaccuum of space.

Draz closed the hatch and joined Fat Chaz. "Tell me, his consort Kaeli - did she escape as well?" Fat Chaz asked.

"No. We've got her locked up. Tricky one - she killed nearly a dozen good men."

"Issue these orders - no one is to go near her. Lock her in isolation, and kill any one who had contact with her."

MANUEVER. Human Go to ground vs. Flak?? Human victory; 9 months of downtime generated.
Months go by. Finally, out of distortion comes Lord Tovol, with his fleet, his army, and Lord Goss at his side.

Fat Chaz, once Pirate Lord, then Hammer Lord, now pirate of a broken fleet, retreated for the asteroid belt and his old pirate base.

INT. SPACE STATION - DETENTION WING
Colour.

Kaeli slept on the floor of her cell. Kofer opened the door, a shadow framed by light. They embraced.

"Tovol is back."

INT. SPACE STATION - TOVOL'S COURT
Conflict.

Lord Tovol sat on his throne. Lord Goss lurked behind him.

The Pali entered, with Bortei and Kadaath. Kofer Pyatt, dressed in Iron and wearing the flag of the Black Duke, was at his right hand, Kaeli behind him.

Lord Tovol: "I am back, and I will have my will enforced. Suren Vachir Edrene, by the rights invested upon me by my Metropolitan and Duke, I arrest you for the crime of heresy."

Kofer Pyatt: "What? Lord Tovol - what happened to you? What witchcraft has that scum behind you wrought?

Tovol: "Silence! I am Forged Lord, my will is law!"

Pali: "Lord Tovol, we are friends now and will remain so. But I see that you have been coerced into this by Lord Goss and your father. Until you cast this shadow aside, do not come calling on me."

"Your lies no longer work on me! You are a heretic, and will be brought to justice!"

Pali: "Is that so?"

His bright mark flared, countered by Lord Goss'. Blue light filled the room. Lord Goss shouted: "The eye, the flame!" He fled into an antechamber.

Lord Tovol, surprised: "Edrene, leave my sight. Be thankful you still can." He followed after Lord Goss, his faith in the High Inquisitor shaken.

MANEVUER: Human Flak vs. Vaylen Assess. Human victory.

LostSoul

Adventurer
INT. SPACE STATION - LORD TOVOL'S OFFICES

Lord Tovol sits at his desk. It's piled high with papers and reports. He flips through a stack of them and sets them down.

There is a knock at the door. "Come in," he says.

Kofer Pyatt enters. "Lord Tovol, your Grace - what happened to you on Zágaš? You have turned your back on the Pali! What did the Duke do to you?"

"Kofer Pyatt, I am sovereign of Boldaq and beyond questioning by the likes of you. From now on, concern yourself only with carrying out my orders to the best of your ability. And now, I am ordering you back to Boldaq."

"Is it Lord Goss? If it is, just say the word and I will kill him for you."

"I gave you an order!"

Kofer Pyatt snaps out an Iron-hard salute. "Sir!"

He turns and steps to the door, which slides open for him. He pauses in the threshold.

"Kaeli was right - you have changed."

The door shuts behind him. Lord Tovol seethes.

INT. SPACE STATION - MAIN DOCKING BAY
Lord Tovol, Building.

The main docking bay is filled with shuttles, men, and the din of heavy activity. Kofer Pyatt towers above the workers loading and unloading the shuttles, an island in the chaos, Kaeli at his side.

A runner approaches Kaeli. He snaps off a salute and delivers his message. Kaeli gives Kofer a worried look, and she leaves for the interior of the station.

Kofer Pyatt watches her leave and boards the shuttle bound for Boldaq.

INT. SPACE STATION - LORD TOVOL'S OFFICES
Same.

Kaeli enters Tovol's office. She sees the full-scale holo-image of her and Kofer Pyatt embracing on the badlands of Boldaq.

"Tovol-" she says.

"Address me as befits my rank, officer," he commands.

She snaps a salute and stares two inches above his head. "Sir!"

"I am ordering you to take up your position here with me as my XO. You've spent enough time on Boldaq."

"My Lord, I believe that I could best be used on the planet. I've learned much while you were away-"

"Do not question my orders! My word is final. You will remain here until I order otherwise. Understand?"

"Yes, my Lord."

She leaves. Tovol seethes.

EXT. BOLDAQ - RUINS OF BORTEI'S SHUTTLE
Pali, Colour.

Bortei rides to the old ruins of his downed shuttle, now covered in red dust. He dismounts his pale horse and approaches the craft.

He opens a hatch, exposing the reactor core to the elements. He activates it and the power core hums to life. He unwraps a bundle of swordsmithing equipment and carefully places it down.

Sweat covers him as he forges himself a wicked sword. When he is done, he covers the sword with powedered lazuli and gul janat.

"You will draw the blood of my rivals," Bortei whispers to his sword. "I will have Kaeli all to myself."

INT. THE PODALAH PALACE - PSYCHOHISTORY CHAMBER
Pali, Building.

The Pali sits in a meditative trance when Bortei walks in.

"Bortei," he says. "I have not seen you for a long time."

"I still serve you, my Pali," Bortei says. He kneels.

"Rise, brother. What has brought you here?"

"I wish a boon from you - a blessing on my sword." He pulls out his sword, swaddled in rich woven cloth.

"As you wish." The Pali's Bright Mark ignites. Blue light covers the sword. Bortei's own Bright Mark burns.

The sword glows brighter and brighter, a red flame covering it, as Bortei raises it above his head.

EXT. AHOYDIA - THE RUINS OF KADAATH'S HEADQUARTERS
Fat Chaz, Interstitial

Kadaath looks at the debris caused by Fat Chaz's fusion cannon. His men are digging through it, his whores are cleaning what can be salvaged, and every one of them has a question for him.

"Kadaath, we're running short on boas. My girls need more than this if we are to get the right 'mood'. I'll need more money to buy a new supply."

Ezran approaches them. "Boss, another message. Fat Chaz again."

Kadaath nods to Ezran, and turns to his madam. "Boas? This is what you're bothering me about? I've got bigger things to worry about."

"I'd say so," Fat Chaz says over the transmitter.

"Fat Chaz. Why should I be talking to you? You're the one who gave me this big headache."

"That was Draz Tolo. He fired the shot before I could stop him. Something about trying to kill him, I think."

"Oh. So what do you want?"

"I'm still upset that you didn't make a move against Tovol. You know we wanted him killed, and you had the perfect chance to do it."

"If I'd have pulled the trigger, I'd have been dead."

"We'll never know, will we? Look - there's too much bad blood between us now to be partners. But we can still work together. You want to climb the rungs of power on Boldaq? That's what I want to. Now if you remove the top dog, we all climb up a spot. That means taking out Lord Tovol.

"And Lord Tovol doesn't care much for the kind of business we do. Trust me. You wouldn't like his rule."

"So you want me to kill Tovol. Got it."

"No - I have something else in mind. He's come here with one of the Duke's Inquisitors, a Lord Goss. What I want is for you to take out Lord Goss and frame Tovol for the killing. That way we can cut out the Duke's support of his son, and we won't be facing a dozen hammer cruisers."

"Sounds like a plan."

"It's good business - for both of us."

INT. SPACE STATION - LORD TOVOL'S OFFICE
Lord Goss, Interstitial.

Lord Goss to Lord Tovol: Let us use Kofer Pyatt and turn him against the Pali. Summon him here, command him.

Lord Tovol: Very well.

INT. AHOYDIA - KADAATH'S WHOREHOUSE - NIGHT
Pali, Interstitial.

Bortei heads to a whorehouse of Kadaath's. He finds him sitting proudly, looking over his operation.

"Kadaath: I want your help."

"Hmm?"

"I need to kill Tovol."

"Go after Lord Goss instead."

"No - Tovol's the one I want."

"Help me take out Goss, and I'll help you."

"Okay."

INT. KADAATH'S WHOREHOUSE - SURVEILLANCE ROOM - NIGHT
Kadaath, Building.

Kadaath is watching a viewscreen. The image: Lord Goss, flagellating himself. "I am not worthy of you, my Duke," he says, drawing blood. "I will not fail you again."

He throws a spice onto a burning brazier. Smoke fills the room. Lord Goss inhales deeply, lost in trance.

"What is that - some kind of drug? Get me someone who knows about it. Maybe we can use this against him."

"I think I've seen it before," Ezran says. "I'll be back with someone in a minute."

Ezran leaves. Bortei crosses his arms. "I don't think we're looking in the right place. This man is too pious, if anything."

"That could be our angle - vicious, dangerous, a tyrant, blinded by faith. We can turn the people against him that way. And if the people are against him, he's a liability to Tovol."

"Maybe you're right."

Ezran returns, out of breath, with a dazed-looking man, wearing rags, unshaven. The brand of fire on his bare arm. "This man - one of the ??? [we had a word for it, I forget what it was], kicked out of the church - knows what it is."

"Yeah," he says, coughing. "It's ???. Comes from the Karsan League. Helps clear the mind when you pray. Good :):):):)."

"That's nothing we can use," Kadaath says. He looks at the man, who is waiting. "What the :):):):) are you still doing here?" The man leaves. Kadaath turns his attention back to the screen. "Great, just great. Let's see what we can drum up. Get those filmtapes running and the graffiti urchins on the streets. Let's screw this Lord Goss over."

Suddenly, the viewscreen fills the static.

"What-"

"Boss, we got cops all around us!"

":):):):). Someone must have noticed our whisperer. Bortei, get yourself out of here." Kadaath draws his twin CEBWs. "Everyone else, scatter."

Policemen in ballistic vests burst into the room and it fills with fire.

CUT TO:

Kadaath slipping out of the brothel, melting into the night.

EXT. AHOYDIA - ANVIL GARRISON SPACEPORT - DAY
Conflict, Kofer Pyatt.

Kofer Pyatt preps his anvil assault shuttle. Bortei approaches him.

"I wish to see the Forged Lord," Bortei says.

"Let there be peace between us then, brother and seeker. Come with me." He eyes Bortei warily.

INT. SPACE STATION - LORD TOVOL'S COURT
Same.

Kofer Pyatt and Bortei enter. Lord Tovol is sitting on a throne. The Duke's crest hangs proudly behind him now, exchanging its place with the Burning Wheel woven into the carpet on the floor. Lord Goss is behind him, and Kaelie is at his side.

"Tovol, release Kaeli to me. She's learned much on the planet, the tides of the marsh-basin, the pattern of dust storms, the ways of the pal-wan butanah - she belongs on Boldaq."

"She is a noble and does not belong with peasant scum like you, backwater inbred cousin-marrying hill squatter."

"I, too, am noble born - it was not my ancestors who fled before the worm. I have carved out my title in the only real noble way: with my own bloody hands. I was not simply born into a life of luxury and coddling like youself."

"I have fought the worm in space in battles too big for your little brain to comprehend. You are my servant and nothing more, little man."

Lord Goss: Lord Tovol, what are you doing? We need him to work against Edrene.

"Kaeli comes with me, or I will take her. Try and stop me."

"Kaeli stays."

Kaeli looks at both of them, then crosses the floor and stands beside Bortei.

MANEUVER:

INT. SPACE STATION - LORD TOVOL'S COURT
Conflict, Kofer Pyatt.

"Enough!" Kofer draws his pistol and begins firing. He moves into the doorway.

Bortei draws his sword and it explodes in red flame. Kaeli moves out of the room.

Lord Tovol draws his force sword and charges at Kofer.

Kofer pins down Tovol and rushes across the room. Bortei meets him. Kofer dives out of the way of Bortei's sword as it draws a red line of crimson across his chest. Kofer fires, grazing Bortei with a slug.

Kofer withdraws, moving backwards, firing at Bortei. The monk draws down upon him, taking a slug in the gut, still pushing forward. He raises his sword and swings, hitting Kofer heavily, blade cutting through flesh and viscera. Kofer falls, a red pool of blood gathering around him.

Lord Tovol watches as Bortei leaves with Kaeli.

INT. SPACE STATION - DOCKING BAY
Colour, Pali.

Bortei, aided by Kaeli, board her shuttle. Its jets fire and it blasts into space.

Colour, Lord Tovol.

Lord Tovol comes a moment later. He boards his own shuttle, chasing them.

EXT. SPACE
Same.

Kaeli races away towards Boldaq. Tovol breaks off his chase and heads back to the station to gather reinforcements.

Lord Goss, Interstitial.

Lord Goss approaches Lord Tovol. "I have had the doctors look at Kofer Pyatt. They seem to think he'll pull through."

"Gather some sodalites, Goss. We're going after her."

EXT. AHOYDIA - KADAATH'S NEW HQ
Interstitial, Kadaath.

Kaeli's shuttle descends towards Kadaath's new place - an old merchant's villa, once converted to a marketplace, now a whorehouse. An iris in the middle of the round building opens up and Kaeli's shuttle descends.

INT. KADAATH'S NEW HQ
Same.

Kaeli leaves the shuttle, nearly carrying Bortei. Blood stains both their clothes. Whores and johns and Kadaath's men watch from balconies above.

"Looks like you've got some trouble, Bortei."

"Uuugghh..."

One of Kadaath's prostitutes - Jinna, poisoner of Archcotare Sibil - rushes out to Kaeli. She embraces her. "Kaeli, are you hurt? Have you left Tovol? I'm so glad to see you here!"

EXT. ABOVE KADAATH'S NEW HQ
Colour, Lord Goss.

Suddenly, Lord Tovol's shuttle appears in the sky, raining fusion beams down on Kaeli's shuttle. It explodes in fire.

INT. KADAATH'S NEW HQ
Building, Kadaath.

Bortei looks at Kadaath. The criminal smiles and draws his pistols. "Let's do this!" he shouts. "Everyone! Get out here and start firing!" Whores flee as his men rush to positions on the balcony, drawing jack lasers and pistols.

INT. SAME
Conflict, Lord Tovol.

A dozen Sodalites in Anvil armour rush out of the shuttle, Lord Tovol at their front. Lord Goss shouts out commands from behind. "Charge them, men! Grab the woman and get back here!"

As the Sodalites push forward, they are met by a hail of laser fire, pinning them at the shuttle entrance. "Good, men, keep firing!" Kadaath yells, sending blast after blast from his own pistols.

Lord Goss is nearly hit by a laser beam, and rushes up into the safety of the shuttle. Lord Tovol looks around and takes control: "Covering fire!" he yells, and lasers burst forth from cover of the shuttle. Kadaath's men put their heads down.

Lord Tovol makes his move. "Charge!" He leads his men across the open courtyard into bloody melee with Kadaath's.

Lasers fly and swords hack apart bodies. Tovol cuts two men apart with one swing. Bortei is caught by a beam and falls, unconcious and bleeding out. Kadaath aims at Lord Goss in the rear and wings him.

Lasers reflect off anvil and tear through Kadaath's unarmoured men. More of his crew leap into the fray, pinning down the Sodalites in a press of bodies. Lord Tovol swings, cutting a wide swath, but soon is surrounded with only two of his allies left.

The battle abates. Everyone takes a breath and looks around - Lord Goss and Kaeli are gone.

MANEUVER: Not done yet.

LostSoul

Adventurer
EXT. SPACE - SHOT OF GALAXY
Colour, Pali

The scene opens with a splash of stars, the whole galaxy visible in frame. It spins around its axis as we zoom in on one planet - Boldaq.

EXT. BOLDAQ - THE PODALAH PALACE
Same.

We see a line of pilgrims wind its way up the thousand and one steps of wisdom, the mountain stair leading to the Pali's Podalah Palace. The pilgrims are parents with children, all destitute and looking for salvation from the new prophet.

INT. THE PODALAH PALACE
Same.

A gong rings out and the palace's heavy doors creak open to reveal the massive frame of Brother Lintor.

"You who have answered the call of the Pali," his voice booms out, "be assured that you leave your children in the care of a prophet!"

A mother urges her young son forward. He stumbles ahead and looks back at her one last time; eyes cast down, he walks to Brother Lintor, dwarfed by the mutant.

"Accept the blessing, child," he says, as he gently annoints the boy: a Bright Mark in blue, painted on the face.

EXT. AHOYDIA - OUTSIDE KADAATH'S HQ
Colour, Lord Goss.

Light and sound explode from inside Kadaath's headquarters. Smoke trails into the sky.

A door explodes open and Lord Goss, dressed in anvil stumbles out. He drags Kaeli with him. Lord Goss' Bright Mark burns.

He struggles through the empty street, finally coming to a temple. He opens the door and they disappear inside.

INT. AHOYDIA - KADAATH'S HQ
Interstitial, Kadaath.

Bodies, shards of metal, small fires, and the burning wreckage of two anvil assault shuttles litter the courtyard, the aftermath of the firefight. Lord Tovol and a half-dozen anvil-armoured Sodalites are surrounded by nearly ten times their number in criminals, thugs, and thieves.

Lord Tovol lowers his force sword.

They bicker.

Tovol offers: let me go, we'll kill Fat Chaz.

Kadaath agrees.

INT. BADLANDS - AHMEK ZAI CAVE
Vaarda, Colour.

Vaarda, marsh hetman trained by Kofer Pyatt, captive of the Ahmek Zai some 9 months. A verdict has been handed out: as one who deals with the worm, he is to receive the ultimate punishment.

The living death of joining with the worm.

INT. AHOYDIA - TEMPLE OF THE MUNDUS HUMANITUS
Intersitital, Pali.

A call echoes in the emptiness of the temple.

A fireward gives the call to Lord Goss. "Edrene," he says.

"If you will not recognize my religious position, call me by my noble title."

"Never. What do you want, heretic?"

"Surrender to me, or perish."

"Never!"

"You had your chance."

INT. SAME
Lord Goss, Interstitial.

"That fool. Firewarden! Call the police - we are going to get Lord Tovol out of that criminal's hands. Tell them to arm their missiles."

Lord Goss turns to Kaeli. "You see the trouble the Pali has caused with his lies? I am going to burn the heresy out of you, just like I did to Lord Tovol, and he can watch."

She spits in his face.

Goss slaps her.

EXT. AHOYDIA - EXTERIOR OF TEMPLE OF THE MUNDUS HUMANITUS
Building, Pali.

Children bearing the Pali's mark appear from the alleys and side streets. They are carrying clubs, stones, and some small guns. They quietly circle the temple, chanting a children's song, eerie with menace and barely-contained violence.

Brother Lintor stands behind them, watching, guiding.

INT. PODALAH PALACE - PSYCHOHISTORY CHAMBER
Same.

The Pali sits cross-legged, meditating in a bright blue glow.

"Show me the path," he says to himself.

The universe opens up and he sees the time to strike at Lord Goss - now.

He smiles, stands, and leaves. He walks through the Palace to the court of his distant cousin, Lord Edrus.

"Lord Edrus, may I ask a favour of you?"

"Ask and you shall recieve."

"I need a handful of your best men."

"They are yours - do with them as you will."

Cut to:

A dozen hard men in anvil, all brutal, unflinching. Ready for violence.

INT. KADAATH'S HQ
Building, Tovol.

Sounds of sirens penetrate the walls. Anvil assault shuttles are approaching quickly.

"Do something about that, Tovol, or I'm going to have to take out Lord Goss."

Tovol: "Give me a phone!"

Cut to:

A signals operator in the anvil garrison. "Who is this?"

"This is Lord Tovol."

Shock: "My Lord! What can I do for you?"

"Stop those shuttles right now!"

"But sir, they are coming to save you-"

"Never question my orders! I could be killed if there is a battle. Call them off!"

"It may be too late, sir."

Cut to:

The cockpit of an anvil assault shuttle. "All right boys, get set for you attack run..."

A voice crackles on the intercom: "Captain! Call off the attack!"

"Whose orders?"

"Tovol's!"

"Huh. Okay. Boys, listen up; we're calling off the attack. Set up a pinwheel around that building."

Cut to:

Tovol: "Kadaath, I'll get you out of here - a hammer shuttle to get free, and a ransom to make things look okay."

"Sounds good."

Tovol makes another call to work out the details of his release, and Kadaath springs free. "I'll meet you at the rendezvous."

INT. AHMEK ZAI CAVE
Vaarda, Building.

With the worm in his head, Vaara has changed - no longer the fearful marsh dweller, he now has the experience of a trained Vaylen in his mind.

Vaarda sneaks up on the Ahmek Zai guarding him and silently breaks his neck. He slips out into the night.

EXT. BADLANDS - JUST OUTSIDE OF AHMEK ZAI MOUNTAIN VILLAGE
Same.

Vaadra looks back at the village and heads into the desert.

A jar of naiven is tucked under his arm.

EXT. BADLANDS - SMUGGLER'S PLATEAU
Fat Chaz, Interstitial.

"We never thought you'd make it," Fat Chaz says. "Kofer gave me this signal months ago, but I thought you were dead. I'd love to hear how you survived the badlands."

Vaarda enters the smuggler's ship without saying a word.

INT. SPACE STATION - SURGICAL SUITE
Kofer Pyatt, Building.

Kofer Pyatt is being worked on frantically by one of Tovol's men. Blood covers the doctor's gown.

Hours go by.

"I did my best. Now it's up to him."

INT. SPACE STATION - RECOVERY ROOM

Kofer Pyatt is lying in bed, breathing heavily. Tubes, pumping and flushing liquids, run in and out of his body.

The doctor walks in. He opens a small case.

He looks at Kofer Pyatt. He smiles.

He closes the case.

A naiven worm squirms in his hands.

MANUEVER. Vaylen Take Action vs. Human Take Action.

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
Here is the second manuever from last Thursday's game.

The hulled Vaylen doctor with the naiven worm squirming in his hand walks next to Kofer Pyatt's bed. He opens his patient's eyelid to insert the naiven -

- and Kofer Pyatt's Bright Mark explodes in red flame. The Vaylen doctor stumbles back.

"I have never broken a worm's mind," Kofer Pyatt thinks, rising from his bed. "Yours will be the first."

"I was merely fulfilling my part of the bargain! Now that we are off Boldaq, that prison, we owe you our secrets."

"And you thought to tell me them by hulling me?" His Bright Mark pulses with energy.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..." the worm says, doubling over in pain.

"I will rip your secrets from your mind." The Bright Mark burns, bathing the room in its red light. The Vaylen's eyes roll back and he collapses to the floor.

The Bright Mark dims. Kofer Pyatt's eyes open wide and his jaw drops open.

"By the prophet...!"

EXT. BOLDAQ - BADLANDS
Kadaath, Interstitial.

Kadaath is leaning against the grey ceramic hull of his new gift - a hammer assault shuttle, ransom for the safe return of Lord Tovol. He lights up a cigar filled with gul janat and inhales deeply.

The shuttle's comm panel lights up. He answers it.

"Tovol."

"Kadaath. We're ready to hit Fat Chaz. I'm going to send the co-ordinates for our rendezvous point."

"So - why do we want to take out Fat Chaz?"

"Not this again. Because he killed my son. And then you'll be the pirate king. Good enough?"

"Alright. I've got the co-ordinates. I'll meet you there."

EXT. SPACE - ASTEROID FIELD
Fat Chaz, Interstitial.

We open on an asteroid field deep in space. Asteroids of all sizes orbit the distant sun, visible in the background through a filter of dust, causing a rainbow-like effect in a "flux field". Our eyes are drawn to a large, central asteroid - more of a planetoid - brimming with heavy weapons. The space surrounding the hidden pirate base is empty, like the calm at the eye of a hurricane.

We see Lord Tovol's Interdiction Fleet - three Hammer Patrol Cruisers and Kaddath's shuttle - enter the scene. There is a faint sparkle of reflected light in the distance, and we zoom in on it - Fat Chaz's flagship, moving out of the flux field.

INT. LORD TOVOL'S FLAGSHIP - BRIDGE
Same.

Lord Tovol sits in his command throne. His eyes are hard as steel, like always; but this time, there's an empty space at the XO's console.

Fat Chaz's hologram appears. Tovol spins round in his throne to address his rival.

"Fat Chaz."

"Tovol. I think this will be the last time we meet."

"I'll kill you, you bastard."

"You can try."

The hologram switches off. Alarm klaxons ring out on board Tovol's ship.

Lord Tovol, Conflict.

Missiles erupt from the asteroid base, streaking towards Tovol's fleet. Another salvo leaps out from Fat Chaz's flagship.

Same.

"Get a lock on that base - we need a firing solution!" Lord Tovol commands.

"Sir - missiles have good lock on us - contact in ten...nine...eight..."

"All ships - evasive maneuvers!" Tovol stands as he yells out the order.

EXT. SPACE - AMID LORD TOVOL'S FLEET
Same.

We follow the deadly missiles as the streak forwad. Zoom in on Tovol's flagship: point-defense missile ports open and launch a salvo. The SCrEMs fly out from their ports and explode amid Fat Chaz's barrage.

Focus on the explosions. The fireball dies down - and a pair of missiles makes it through the cover, winding and twisting towards the hammer cruiser on Tovol's right.

Impact! A nuclear blast RIPS apart its hull, shredding armour and components. The ship limps forward, trailing ions and fuel.

Same.

The alarms have gone silent. The bridge is bathed in a red light. Men are strewn about the floor, but they pick themsevles up and get back in their seats.

Tovol: "Report."

"The Corona took a direct hit - she's damaged, badly. Out of the fight. Getting crew loss report now."

"No time for that. We'll come back for her later."

"Sir! We're getting pinged! They've got a lock on us!"

"Launch missiles!"

Same.

Another salvo of missiles blasts forth from Fat Chaz's assets. Seconds later, Lord Tovol's ships respond in kind.

The missiles meet and explode - but Fat Chaz has the upper hand, and more break through. Tovol's ships break ranks and avoid direct impact, but his escort is slightly damaged.

Same.

Lord Tovol stares at the asteroid base. "That's it - I've had enough of this. Bring us right down on him. Flank speed!"

Tovol's ships race through space to the asteroid. Fat Chaz's cruiser tries to match Tovol, but loses him on the far side of the asteroid.

"Another barrage, sir..."

"Brace for impact!"

Through the viewscreen, we see missiles launch from the asteroid. Tovol's escort leaps in front and fires point-defense missiles at point-blank range. A huge blast fills the screen. Tovol's ship is rocked.

"Damage report!"

"The Corona has suffered heavy damage, but her captain reports she's still with us, sir! Our hull has withstood the impact."

"Target the asteroid with our SCrEMs - blast a hole in its hull. Kadaath, you hear me?"

Kadaath's voice, crackling over the radio: "Yup."

"That'll be where you get in. Good luck."

Lord Tovol gets up from his chair and leaves the bridge. "Once you blow a hole in the hull, get out of here - only come back if I contact you."

"Sir-"

Tovol leaves the bridge.

EXT. SPACE - ASTEROID BASE
Same.

Tovol's flagship skims the surface of the asteroid base. Sub-critical energy missiles launch and blow a hole in the side of the asteroid. Kadaath's shuttle races in.

As Tovol's ships turn away, an escape pod launches and flies into the breach on the asteroid.

INT. ASTEROID BASE - BREACH
Kadaath, Building.

Kadaath exits his shuttle with his hand-picked squad of assassins. He watches as an escape pod skids to a stop. Its hatch opens, and Lord Tovol, dressed in anvil, steps out.

"Let's go."

The assault team moves through the asteroid base, catching the pirates off-guard. Pirates fall to the elite team as they move to the command centre. Men stay behind to hold off regrouping pirates, and only Kadaath and Tovol reach the bridge.

Fat Chaz and Draz Tolo are waiting for them. There's no time for words. Lord Tovol and Fat Chaz leap at each other. There can be only one end to this - one or both of them dies.

Draz Tolo aims at Kadaath. For the first time in his career, he's too slow. A beam of coherent energy from Kadaath's CEBW hits him in the eye and he slumps to the ground, smoke trailing from the crater in his head.

Lord Tovol and Fat Chaz duel viciously. Kadaath takes aim at the pirate lord, and Fat Chaz sees the CEBW pointed at him out of the corner of his eye. Panic runs through him and he drops his guard.

Tovol slices his head clean off.

EXT. BOLDAQ - AHMEK ZAI MOUNTAIN VILLAGE
Pali, Building.

Cut away from space and to the beautifully harsh mountains of Boldaq. The sun is setting in the distance, and the red sky turns to the colour of rust. Grey mountains and the small village the Vaylen Vaarda escaped from lie covered in shadow.

The Pali walks along the path to the village. He meets no resistance from the village's ghazi.

An elderly man bows at the Pali's feet as he enters the village. "Prophet. Why have you blessed us with your presence?"

"Where is the marsh hetman called Vaarda?"

"Forgive us, Pali! We gave him the ultimate punishment."

"That is?"

"The living death of the worm. But the worm made him strong, and he escaped!"

"The Vaylen - here, on Boldaq," the Pali thinks. "I need to speak with one of them." He addresses the elderly man: "Tell me, what do the legends say of the worm? Where do they live, where can they be found?"

"They say - there is a deep gorge, so deep the sun does not touch its floor. The Crevasse at World's End. This is where the devil worm lives - but beware, prophet! None who enter come back the same!"

"I walk the Lar-ti Largi, the path of fire. Where I go, the worm dies."

EXT. BOLDAQ - THE CREVASSE AT WORLD'S END
Same.

The Pali pulls his cloak tight around him. Behind him loom the mountains that house the Ahmek Zai, the Podalah Palace, and beyond that, the cities of the marshes and Ahoydia. Before him - World's End. A twisted and broken pan of charcol-grey rock spreading out to the horizon.

The Pali looks down at a great tear in the earth, a black scar with no end in sight. He descends on the last leg of his journey towards it, leaving his Ahmek Zai ghazi guides with their pack beasts. He finds a small path, a narrow ledge on the side of the crevasse, and drops out of sight.

EXT. BOLDAQ - INSIDE THE CREVASSE
Same.

The Pali climbs down carefully. Rocks tumble off the side of the cliff, echoing on their way down until no sounds can be heard. The Pali looks over the edge - he can not see its bottom. He looks up - only a thin sliver of red sky remains.

The Pali's Bright Mark flares and suddenly he is surrounded by a nimbus of blue light. He feels the press of centuries - the dead here, on this site. Something catches his eye - a glint of metal. Still new. He picks it up. It is a tool not meant for human hands.

As he passes, a red eye on a tentacular stalk blinks in silent sentry at his passage. A radio signal generated by the genetically-engineered watch eye passes word to the Vaylen in their hidden lair: "Psychologist approaches."

EXT. BOLDAQ - THE CREVASSE AT WORLD'S END
Same.

The Pali crests the lip and waves to the Ahmek Zai camping a mile away.

At the camp, they question him, rifles in hand. "What did you find, Prophet?"

"The Vaylen are here."

EXT. AHMEK ZAI VILLAGE
Same.

The Pali rides into the village square on his I-as Patun. He dismounts, handing his dust-covered cloak to the village elder. Without saying a word, he walks into the cave where Vaarda was held.

He places a note: "Vaylen Encoder. I want to speak with you."

<Interstial here - something about blue smoke outside the temple?>

INT. ASTEROID BASE - THRONE ROOM
Kadaath, Colour.

Kadaath is sitting on Fat Chaz's throne, smoking the essence of gul janat. At his belt he wears the mummified heads of Fat Chaz and Draz Tolo.

"Boldaq will be mine!" he yells.

Kofer Pyatt, Colour.

Kofer Pyatt, wrapped in bandages, stares out the window at Boldaq below.

"All this time, and the Pali has not sent word to me. His Herald, his student.

"He has betrayed me. He had no intention to train me in his ways - his own man struck me down! He only wanted to lull me into complacency, to weaken me. I was weak to believe him, to be pulled in to his cult.

"Never again. The Pali will die. Bortei will die. And Kaeli, she will die."

MANEUVER: Vaylen Take Action vs. Human Take Action.
With the demise of Fat Chaz, Lord Tovol's hammer fleet is unchallenged in space. His fleet sets up patrol around the planet. All on Boldaq is under his watchful eye.

On Ahoydia, Kofer Pyatt makes his triumphant return. His first address to his Anvil legions:

"Edrene has betrayed Boldaq. The "child's army" of his plagues our streets. He allies with monsters like Kadaath. He has turned against Forged Lord Tovol. And his own man tried to kill me.

"The Pali is a wicked creature, an agent of the worm come to despoil Boldaq! We, her true sons, will defeat him as we did the worm!"

LostSoul

Adventurer
INT. AHOYDIA - TEMPLE OF THE MUNDUS HUMANITUS
Kaeli, Interstitial.

Kaeli stares across a long dining table in a dark, empty hall at Lord Goss.

"Eat. Drink. Enjoy your stay," the High Inquisitor says.

"You are a sick, twisted fool," Kaeli says.

"You won't feel that way after my Divination burns the Karsan League's heresy from you. I know what you are - an abomination. A mule. Your kind should be wiped from the galaxy."

"I have had enough." She stands, her chair scraping against the stone floor. "I am leaving."

Lord Goss stands. His bright mark burns. Kaeli freezes, muscles involuntarily locked.

"You will go only when I am through with you," he says, crossing the room. "I will have you strapped down on my Divination table, and Lord Tovol will watch." He caresses her pale face.

INT. ASTEROID BASE - DOCKING BAY
Lord Goss, Interstitial.

Lord Tovol watches a shuttle touch down in the docking bay. He is dressed in anvil, covered in Fat Chaz's blood, force sword in hand. His helmet is off, and we see his face still flushed and beaded with sweat.

A runner leaps off the ship as soon as the hatch opens. "Lord Tovol, your grace," he says, "Lord Goss has a message for you."

Lord Goss flickers in a hologram. "Lord Tovol, are you finally done with the pirates?" he says.

"I am."

"Then get back here. I want you to observe the Divination."

"I will be right there," he says. He turns off the communicator.

Climbing into the shuttle, he thinks: my father is more ruthless than I ever imagined. I must obey him.

INT. PODALAH PALACE - PSYCHOHISTORY CHAMBERS
Pali, Colour.

The Pali is in a trance, meditating, surrounded by blue light. He mumbles under his breath:

"Of course - it is so obvious! I was thinking in arithmetic terms." The light coalesces into a graph, slowly increasing. "I should have been thinking geometrically." The a new, red line appears on the graph, curving up into infinity. "This is the way I can spread myself around the galaxy. This way, the galaxy will have what it needs - more of me."

EXT. AHOYDIA - ANVIL GARRISON - DRILL GROUNDS
Kofer Pyatt, Colour.

The anvil garrison on Ahoydia is like a hornet's nest. Cargo shuttles bearing the crest of the Black Duke von Zagas are landing. Boys and young men are unloading laser rifles, Fusors, Anvil armour, and grav sleds.

Kofer Pyatt, in full dress iron, inspects a company. Helmets off, we can see that these are Boldaq's native sons, weathered by her wars. They are all dressed in Anvil, bearing the insignia of Kofer Pyatt and the Black Duke.

He thinks to himself: "The Duke has given me his full support. Now I will turn my new army against the Pali."

INT. ASTEROID BASE - THRONE ROOM
Kadaath, Colour.

Kadaath sits on his throne, thinking of other days.

His father comes to a temple in Ahoydia, years ago. A priest backed by warriors addresses him: "You cannot name your child Kadaath - the Bringer of Death. We will not allow it. This is heresy."

His father replies: "I will not obey your rules."

"Then you will die."

The warriors fall on him.

Kadaath's mother flees into the streets. "You will grow to be strong. I will teach you to punish all those who impose rules on others."

EXT. AHOYDIA - TEMPLE OF MUNDUS HUMANITUS
Tovol, Building.

Tovol's shuttle lights down in the temple complex. Tovol, still in bloodied anvil, leaves and enters the temple.

INT. TEMPLE OF MUNDUS HUMANITUS - KAELI'S CELL
Same.

Tovol opens the door to Kaeli's cell. Kaeli stares at him.

"I am here under Lord Goss' orders," he says. "I want you to submit to his divination."

"Lord Tovol, what has happened to you? You are Forged Lord of Boldaq. No one can order you. You need to go see the Pali. He was your friend, once. He can help you get out from under Lord Goss' spell."

"I will see the Pali," he says, "but only to convince him not to fight against the Duke."

INT. TEMPLE OF MUNDUS HUMANITUS - MAIN HALL
Pali, Interstitial.

Lord Tovol pulls out his communicator. The Pali appears, sitting cross-legged in a shuttle.

"Lord Tovol! How are you. It has been some time."

"I need to speak with you. My father has ordered me to arrest you, and I must obey him."

"The universe told me of your need, Tovol. I am already on my way to see you. To forgive you. Lord Goss is an evil man who has broken your will. I will help free you from him. The ancient prophet taught us to be forgiving and help our fellow man."

"The ancient prophet did not have my father," Lord Tovol says.

INT. SAME
Conflict, Pali.

Tovol flips off the communicator. Lord Goss approaches from the shadows.

"I heard you speaking to the Pali! Are you listening to his lies again?"

"I am not so sure he is the one who speaks lies."

"I order you to arrest him!"

"You cannot speak to me this way. I am Forged Lord, and I take orders from no man."

"I speak with the authority of your father, the Duke! Do as I command!"

Before Tovol can answer, glass shatters behind Lord Goss. A teenage boy threw himself through the window, screaming: "For the Pali!" His body is strapped with explosives, and he pulls out a detonator.

Lord Goss' bright mark flares and the boy collapses on the ground. He turns to Lord Tovol. "You see what your hesitation has caused?"

EXT. TEMPLE OF THE MUNDUS HUMANITUS
Same.

An explosion rocks the temple's outer wall as a wave of the Pali's teenage fanatics throw themselves forward. Behind them, the Pali walks, flanked by Brother Lintor, Bortei, and twelve men in Anvil armour.

A Sodalis-Captain in the rear of the compound radios Lord Goss. "They've broken through, Lord Inquisitor. Your orders?"

"Pin them down!" Lord Goss shouts.

The Sodalis-Captain nods. "Brothers! The Wheel burns for us today! Lay down suppressing fire, hold them back!"

Lasers rip through child army and they scatter for cover.

INT. TEMPLE - MAIN HALL
Same.

Lord Goss looks through the broken window. "Lord Tovol! Get your Anvil squad ready!"

Lord Tovol runs through the temple, heading for his shuttle. He does not notice Kadaath and a handful of his infiltrators slip in through another window, murder in mind.

EXT. TEMPLE GROUNDS
Same.

The Sodalites continue fire at the children. "Brothers! To the temple and Lord Goss!" They break from position under covering fire.

The Pali turns to his Anvil. "Those Sodalites - do not let them get to Lord Goss. Keep them pinned down so Kadaath can do his work."

The Anvil captain nods. They direct a wave of fire at the sodalites, halting their advance.

We zoom the camera in on the fire support team - two men with a Fusor. One aims while the other holds the massive weapon steady. A targetting scope appears and focuses in on the sodalites. "Opening fire!" he shouts, and a massive beam of energy streaks through the air.

The Sodalites - and their barracks behind them - are turned into dust.

INT. TEMPLE - MAIN HALL
Same.

Lord Goss watches his Sodalites fall. He breaks and runs for Lord Tovol's shuttle - and as he round the corner, lasers flash out at him. He spies Kadaath and ducks behind cover.

Lord Goss leans against the wall and pulls out a pistol. Breathing heavily, he turns the corner - and a beam hits him in the face.

Lord Goss falls down. Across the hall, Kadaath blows on his CEBW.

EXT. TEMPLE GROUNDS
Same.

Kadaath and his men sack the temple. Lord Tovol stands with his anvil bodyguards, watching.

The Pali exits the temple. Kaeli is at his side. She looks at Lord Tovol.

He returns her gaze. She turns her back to him, and leaves with the Pali.

EXT. THE CREVASSE AT WORLD'S END

From within the crevasee, we see a thin rust-coloured sliver of daylight. A grav sled arcs through our vision. A Vaylen-engineered sentry blinks.

EXT. CREVASSE - HIDDEN DOOR
Same.

Kofer Pyatt, dressed in Iron with his PaC in his hands, stands with the Vaylen doctor in front of a hidden door.

"Our secrets," he says.

Kofer Pyatt enters the Vaylen's hidden base. Red lights flash on in succession, revealing a massive hangar.

EXT. AHOYDIA - GATES TO THE ANVIL GARRISON
Kofer Pyatt, Building.

The massive gates to the anvil garrison creak open, and Kofer Pyatt's army marches out. The ground rumbles under their footsteps. Grav sleds race by overhead. Ground cars loaded down with artillery drive out.

EXT. AHOYDIA - MONTAGE
Same.

A montage of the army crossing across Boldaq:
- From the gates of Ahoydia, through the marshes and the villages built on stilts above them. A woman picks up her crying child and holds him close to her breast as the army passes by.
- Across the blasted badlands, the army marches on, watched by marsh rats and ghazi on their shaggy I-as Patuns.
- Finally, into the mountains the army snakes its way through the mountain roads, reaching the base of the mountain the Pali claims as his fiefdom. There, they set up camp, laying siege.

INT. PLANET ZAGAS - DUKE VON ZAGAS' OFFICES
Duke von Zagas, Building.

A runner approaches the Black Duke. "Lord Goss has been killed. Lord Tovol was seen, letting the assassins go."

"I must speak with my son! Ready the Precipitator!"

INT. SPACE STATION - COMM ROOM
Same.

Lord Tovol enters the comm room. His father's image appears.

"Your Majesty, you wanted to speak with me?"

"You let Lord Goss die. I am not amused."

"I did the best I could, my Liege."

"You had your chance to take the Pali, but you failed. I have ordered Lord Anvil Kofer Pyatt to lay assault to his mountain fortress. If you wish to stay in my favour, aid him. Otherwise, I will be forced to pay you a visit."

"Very well."

MANEUVER: Vaylen Gambit vs. Human Take Action.

LostSoul

Adventurer
EXT. STAIRS TO THE PODALAH PALACE
Vaylen Encoder... whose name I forget, Colour.

A man dressed in a high-quality plastic all-weather coat walks up the pilgrim's stair to the Podalah Palace. The sun is slowly setting behind the mountain's peak. At its base, Kofer Pyatt's army lays siege.

INT. PODALAH PALACE - GARDEN
Pali, Interstitial.

Kaeli sits on a stone bench in the Pali's garden, staring at the sky. She plucks petals off a gul janat, casting them awway in the evening breeze.

The Pali sits down beside her. "You are a gift to the universe, Kaeli," he says. "But that gift comes with a price. What would you give to bear a child?"

"I would not freedom. Wouldn't I just become a slave?"

"Not if you are he mother to a new line of emperors."

INT. KADAATH'S ASTEROID BASE - THRONE ROOM
Kadaath, Colour.

Kadaath looks over his men from his throne. They are comparing loot taken from the Temple and Lord Goss.

Kadaath stands. His men pause.

"The time of wondrous profit has come," Kadaath says. "Create chaos on Boldaq. Send the off-worlders scurrying to and fro like rats. And when they are weak, we will eliminate them."

INT. SECRET VAYLEN BASE - CRYPT
Kofer Pyatt, Colour.

Kofer Pyatt's Iron-clad feet ring out on the metal floor beneath him. A heavy blast door marked with an ancient burning wheel - the seal of the Ahmilak - blocks his path.

He levels his PaC at the door and blasts it to shreds.

Kofer Pyatt steps into the crypt. Dust settles in the stale air. A long coffin made of stone, bearing the Ahmilak's personal seal is in the middle of the room.

Aided by his Iron, Kofer Pyatt tears the lid off the coffin. A seal is broken, and centuries old air is released. Inside, dust is all that remains.

Kofer Pyatt removes his helmet. He cups a handful of the dust and breathes it in.

His bright mark burns red.

INT. ANVIL GARRISON - OFFICE
Lord Tovol, Interstitial.

Lord Tovol sits at his desk. He presses a button and a hologram of the Pali appears.

"Lord Edrene. I need to see you. You are a criminal in my father's eyes."

"I cannot. I do not have all I need."

"Come to Zagas with me. Speak to my father - settle this dispute."

"Come to me, Lord Tovol. We will discuss it." <not sure this is how it went...>

The hologram disappears.

INT. PODALAH PALACE - TEMPLE
Vaylen Encoder, Interstitial.

"This is a suitable place for operating," the Vaylen encoder says to the Pali. He places a black bag on a stone table. "A little crude, but what can you expect?"

He removes a long metal probe from his bag. "Well, shall we get started? I hate to waste the day. Bring the girl."

INT. ANVIL GARRISON - OFFICE
Kadaath, Interstitial.

"Tovol. What did you want to see me about?" Kadaath asks.

"I need to know, Kadaath - can you follow orders?" Tovol asks in reply.

"Depends on the order. If I like it, sure."

"Could you hold yourself back from killing, if I asked?"

"Depends who I'd be killing. And for how much."

"I need to know if I can trust you, Kadaath."

"You can trust me - if you work with me. This little planet is nothing to you. You're Forged. You've got Hammer and Anvil. You can rule an empire."

"And let me guess - you want Boldaq for yourself."

"Work with me. Together, you could have it all. I'd get Boldaq. It's win-win. More profit for everyone."

"I'll need to think on this-" Tovol cuts his words short. He grips his head and doubles over in pain.

An image flashes before his eyes: Kaeli, screaming in sheer instinctual terror. The Pali on one side, Bortei on her other. Between them, a doctor - with a squirming Naiven worm in his hands.

"Kadaath - come with me." Tovol dons his Anvil.

"Where are we going?"

"After the Pali."

INT. PODALAH PALACE - TEMPLE
Pali, Building.

The Pali looks at the encoder standing over a struggling Kaeli. "How long will this take?"

"Not long. Delicate work. Keep her down. I've got an old friend I'd like to talk to again - I'd hate for anything bad to happen to either of them."

The Pali's bright mark burns. Kaeli stops her struggles.

A boy with the painted bright mark enters the temple, head bowed. "A message from the signal tower - grav sleds are coming."

Bortei looks at the Pali. "Kofer?" he mumbles through mangled jaw.

The Pali shakes his head. "Lord Tovol." He looks at Kaeli. "She must have forged a connection with him during the raid on Lord Goss." He turns to Bortei. "Jam all contact between their ships. I will arrange our escape."

Bortei nods and runs out of the room.

The Pali turns to the Vaylen. "Give her a sedative. We'll have to perform this operation later."

EXT. PODALAH PALACE - COURTYARD
Same.

Bortei climbs the Podalah Palace's fragile signals tower. The signals operator sees him enter and nods, leaving the psychologist to work.

Bortei places a helmet full of wires on his head. His bright mark flares, and the wires spark.

EXT. BOLDAQ - BADLANDS
Same.

Eight anvil grav sleds race over the broken Boldaq landscape. The mountains on the horizon appear closer and closer each second.

INT. ANVIL ASSAULT SLED
Same.

"Lord! We're getting some high-energy pulses across all frequencies! It's - arrgh!" Lord Tovol's sig man rips off his headset. Blood trickles from his ears.

"Report!" Tovol orders.

"Contact with entire company - cut off!"

INT. PODALAH PALACE - COMM ROOM
Same.

"Lord Edrene, Cousin, Pali," the hologram of Lord Edrus, Karsan League Hammer Lord says. "I had a feeling I'd be hearing from you."

"Lord Tovol?"

"Lord Tovol. His Anvil are on their way here, and his Hammer are maneuvering to threaten my own."

"I need a favour."

"Anything, cousin."

"We need a shuttle to get us off Boldaq - and cover until we do."

"Consider it done. I'm sending a shuttle down now, and powering up my cannons."

"Thank you, cousin."

The Pali turns off the hologram. He stands, and leaves the room, walking slowly.

EXT. PODALAH PALACE - GARDEN
Same.

The Pali walks through the courtyard. Around him, in slow-motion, sound muffled, his men prepare for battle. Assault lasers are handed out; shoulder-launched missiles are loaded, ammunition stockpiled; Anvil armour dressed; monks saying their final blessings.

The Pali enters his garden, a calm in the storm around him. He sits in the middle where the last few rays of the setting red sun still touch down. He sits, crosses his legs, closes his eyes.

"Universe. Am I doing the wrong thing?"

He looks deep into himself.

He does not like what he sees.

Sounds crash over him like waves. Everything speeds up as his trance ends.

Next: Firefight.

LostSoul

Adventurer
INT. KADAATH'S SHUTTLE
Kadaath, Building.

Kadaath's shudders as it speeds through the atmosphere. Out the front screen we see the Podalah Palace quickly approaching. His lieutenant, Ezrun, is sitting in the drop bay watching his hand shake.

"Alright men," Kadaath shouts above the hum of the engines, "this is it. Forget what you've heard about the Pali's powers. There's nothing in this universe that can stand up to a well-placed shot!"

The men cheer, but it's forced. Ezrun's hand still shakes.

Lord Tovol, Firefight.

The Pali rushes across the courtyard and joins his anvil bodyguard in the doorway of his palace. Most of the men are carrying shoulder-mounted missile launchers.

The air screams as Lord Tovol's grav sleds tear by overhead. A quick barrage of cannon fire explodes in the courtyard, blasting stone and whoever was too slow to get undercover.

The Vaylen encoder, holding up Kaeli's drugged body, stares at the Pali. "I hope your friend's shuttle arrives shortly."

The Pali stares into the darkening sky. We see a tiny glint of metal approaching from above.

INT. ANVIL ASSAULT SLED
Same.

Lord Tovol hovers over the pilots. "There!" he says, pointing at the signals tower, raised above the palace wall on thin bamboo stilts. "Make that your primary objective. Once it's out, we should have comm open again!"

EXT. PODALAH PALACE
Same.

One grav sled breaks formation and buzzes the tower. A beam of energy lances from the sled, cutting the tower's support beams. It creaks and begins to fall.

Bortei flings himself from the tower as it explodes behind him.

The grav sled wheels around to join its companions in tight formation.

Same.

Bortei arrives at the Pali's side. His bright mark lights up, along with the Pali's.

"Do you feel him, Bortei?"

"Yes, my Pali. The lead vessel."

"We will make that our primary target." The Pali turns to his anvil-armoured bodyguards. "You men! To the garden!" he commands. "All others, support them! Target the lead shuttle - it's Tovol's!"

Missiles streak up at Tovol's craft. Tovol's shuttle jinks to the side, and another is hit, its armour burned and scarred. Debris falls among the men rushing across the open courtyard.

Tovol's shuttles buzz in and strafe the courtyard. Anvil is no protection against the heavy fusion cannons. Two are vapourized instantly.

The grav sleds turn and form a pinwheel, flying in a circle around the courtyard. Cannon fire impacts against the old stone fortress. The Pali stays pinned down in the doorway.

INT. KADAATH'S SHUTTLE
Same.

Through the viewscreen, we see the fight raging on. "There he is!" Kadaath shouts. "Open the bay doors - we'll swing by and grab him!"

A pair of missiles snake through the air at the shuttle. The pilot has no time to warn the crew - it banks to the side, the missiles streaking by, a near miss.

"Damn it!"

Same.

A beam of light lances down from orbit, cutting clouds apart. It hits ground, slicing off a chunk of the mountain. One of the grav sleds, too close to the blast, tries to dodge. It is disintegrated.

"My cousin," the Pali says. "See - his shuttle approaches!" The Pali points to another shuttle, racing in from high-atmosphere.

The grav sleds tighten their wheel. Missiles arc up from the ground, causing disarray. The Pali shouts: "This is our chance!" He sprints into the courtyard, hoping to board the incoming shuttle.

Kadaath's shuttle slips in and hovers a few feet above the ground. Its hatch opens and lasers strafe the Pali's men, leaving him alone and in the open.

Lord Edrus' shuttle lands in the courtyard, cutting the Pali off from his men, Bortei, the Vaylen and Kaeli.

Kadaath seizes the opportunity. He leaps out, grabs the Pali, and boards the shuttle. It leaps into the sky.

The Vaylen carries Kaeli onto Edrus' shuttle. "Take off! Now!" he shouts.

Bortei watches Kadaath fly off with the Pali, and at the last moment he jumps into Edrus' shuttle. The hatch slams shut and races away.

EXT. BASE OF MOUNTAIN
Kofer Pyatt, Building.

Kofer Pyatt lowers a pair of binoculars. "Looks like the fight's over. Captain, target the shuttle heading to Ahoydia. Don't fire until I get the word."

"Yes, sir."

Kofer Pyatt grabs a sig man: "Get me a line to that shuttle."

Kadaath answers: "What do you want?"

"You've got the Pali. I want you to bring him to me."

"Or else?"

"Or else I will shoot you down."

"Okay, okay, no need to get cranky. I was just looking for a bribe."

Kadaath's shuttle lands. The Pali is escorted out. Kadaath is paid.

Kofer Pyatt: "We are both working with the worm. They have shown me their secrets. Let me show you.

"Breathe of the Ahmilak and be changed, as I have been."

INT. PLANET ZAGAS - COURT OF DUKE VON ZAGAS
Duke von Zagas, Interstitial.

The Duke sits in his throne. Vaarda approaches him, still dressed in his dusty Boldaq robe.

"Your Majesty," Vaarda says.

"It has been a long time, old friend. What name does this body have?"

MANEUVER: Vaylen Inundate vs. Human Inundate. Human success; Phase end.

Remove ads