• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Burning Wheel

Dryfus

First Post
we tried it

my group( I was a player). I liked it, but I think it's more a (and don't take offense at this) "role-playing" game more than a "roll-playing" game. the story line is the important thing for BW. Healing takes a hell of a long time without magic, but that was kinda the point I thought, to be more "real life" than fantasy.

Just my $.02

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Dryfus said:
... but I think it's more a (and don't take offense at this) "role-playing" game more than a "roll-playing" game. the story line is the important thing for BW....

I always thought that the label "roll-playing" was considered the offensive one.

silburnl

First Post
SweeneyTodd said:
I think you're thinking of Riddle of Steel.
HeroQuest is also a bit like this, in that all abilities feed in to the core resolution mechanic in the same way - so if the contest is all about taking vengeance on the bastard who killed your character's father then having "Hate My Father's Killer 5w2" on your character sheet is as useful as "Sword & Shield Combat 5w2" and becomes more useful still if the Father's Killer falls to his knees and pleads for mercy.

Regards
Luke

silburnl

First Post
Dirigible said:
I hope combat isn't resolved with one roll :D
Funny you should say that as there is a simple single roll resolution mechanic offered - but its there for if you don't care to get to grips with the mechanics outlined in "Fight!" and "Range & Cover", which are an interesting combination of crunchy detail and abstracted mechanics.

Many people find the scripting the most problematic aspect of the combat rules and I have to say they give me pause (mostly over handling time and GM-load concerns), but since I've never played the game I don't know how they'd play out in practise.

Regards
Luke

fredramsey

First Post
Just a bit more of my 2 cents.

(Standard Disclaimer - These are my Opinions. Any resemblence to facts is purely co-incidental)

First, since it was, until recently, a favorite topic here, BW is not Rules-Lite, by any stretch. ;)

Second, it's a great read, even if you never intend to run it. There are some ideas in there I found quite profound, such as the "Let it Ride" rule, and the reasons to give out "Artha", which is BW's version of Action Points, among others.

I'm not going to debate whether anything in BW is "new". Since nothing is, it is a moot point. But in my 25 years of gaming, reading Burning Wheel was a unique experience; something I intend to do more than once. And even if I never get to run it, there are ideas in there that I will apply to most any game I run in the future.

And at $25, it was a great value for me.

buzz

Adventurer
fredramsey said:
I'm not going to debate whether anything in BW is "new". Since nothing is, it is a moot point. But in my 25 years of gaming, reading Burning Wheel was a unique experience; something I intend to do more than once. And even if I never get to run it, there are ideas in there that I will apply to most any game I run in the future.

And at $25, it was a great value for me.
Quoted for truth.

lukzu

First Post
Hi guys, been a trifle busy of late, so I apologize for not being able to participate in this thread a bit more.

Patryn, you asked about players calling for tests. I'll give you two examples from a game I played the other night. Both involve the Duel of Wits mechanic, but they are also distinct circumstances.

It was a two player game, plus me as GM. In this particular scene my brother, Hart, had summoned forth the Kocista-Noga (the witch from the Monster Burner). He needed information from her. We roleplayed the scene along. I was playing the witch to the hilt, and using her Evil Eye spell on Hart to dissuade him from engaging her at all. So the other player, Rich, jumped in and started chiding me for being stubborn and evil. At the end of a well roleplayed intro, I said, "I think we have a conflict." Rich responded, "Yeah, I want a Duel of Wits."

Hart and I were roleplaying the scene that he had called for, but Rich called for the test. Even though the GM had created the conflict in the scene, it was up to the players to decide how they wanted to approach it and when they wanted to test.

In the second instance, Rich and Hart were arguing over a minor point: Hart had to swear never to conjure fire in the forest again. Rich wanted him to seal the bargain by slicing his hand and taking a blood oath. Hart promised to swear, but wouldn't seal it with blood. Rich immediately leapt on the situation and called for another Duel of Wits. This time, it had nothing to do with the GM. This was a contest between the players, generated by the players. Hart lost and ended up swearing the oath. But he stormed off in a cloud.

Since we were talking about advancement, it's also worth it to note that both Rich and Hart earned two tests for advancement each. One for each conflict. Also worth noting, Hart earned a test in the second exchange even though he lost. His character was a lot weaker than Rich's in social skills, but it was mechanically beneficial for him to get into the conflict and play it out because it earned him a test for advancement. (In this case, his skill actually jumped up, because he was only one test away.)

thanks again for your interest.
-Luke

donbaloo

First Post
Hi guys, I've been recently converted from D&D to Burning Wheel as well. Matter of fact, it was my first look at anything other than D&D so I had 20 years of D&D in my head to sweep around so that I could come to grips with Burning Wheel. Its an awesome game. Its a different game. I don't foresee returning to D&D in the very near future at least. One of the primary elements that Burning Wheel pushes is actively involving the players in directing the story. The GM is still there, twisting the plot, and guiding the action but players really have the opportunity to step up and help drive. As a result, you find yourself more often in those situations you want to be in. Lots of times, in my experience with D&D, you've created this character that you really like and you envision him being involved in particular situations but somehow in the process of running through the DM's plot it becomes very difficult to actually find yourself in those situations you really want. Burning Wheel helps to overcome this. The things you want your character to be doing...he's going to be doing. And his actions create conflict, dynamic conflicts, that lead from one to another to build a dramatic story that's very personalized to your and the other players' characters.

Its truly a different gaming experience. If you're a DM looking for some renewed pep and are interested in learning some interesting ideas for running games, you can't go wrong. Burning Wheel had a profound impact on the way I want to run games now. If you've often felt that your games were too much about numbers and not enough about the cool story you're wanting to tell, pick it up and give it a read through. I found it very enlightening and a beautiful system for running games that we really want to play.

donbaloo

First Post
Crothian said:
Some people like training rules and this is a variation of that. In the rules one can train to increase skills as well. The character sheet is designed to help keep track of all of this and with many fewer skills then d20 to worry about it does not seem to be a burden.

Just for the record, Burning Wheel has a ton of skills, much more than D&D3.5. And a very detailed list of traits. It doesn't equate to a ton of bookkeeping though because for the most part folks have less than 15 skills in which their character is officially trained. The hefty skill list provides a myriad of options for driving story and creating very interesting characters. Very good stuff...:)

Remove ads