• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

But Are You Experienced - An Academic Survey on XP

Bookkeeper

First Post
Greetings!

My name is Richard Bennett and I am conducting an academic study on rules systems in tabletop roleplaying games and their impact on social engagement and rhetoric. Part of that study is a survey on how players perceive and interact with the character advancement system (usually experience points). The survey is completely anonymous and should take only about 10 minutes of your time. Thanks for your help!

The survey can be found here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y6S5ZTG

aramis erak

Legend
Exceedingly bad design
  • fails to account for "Plays something not directly modelled after D&D"
  • Doesn't provide multiple choice on q1

Bookkeeper

First Post
Hi there!

Question 1 does have an "other" option if your game doesn't hand out XP by encounter or session, and several people have offered up options like milestones, or even GM Fiat.

I'm sorry the design didn't fit your needs.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
A write-in question along the lines of "please enter the one primary RPG system (e.g. D&D, 13th Age, Star Wars RPG, etc.) on which you are basing your responses" would probably help you a lot in making sense of the responses you'll get.

Bookkeeper

First Post
Thank you for the feedback!

For the survey, I was more interested in a general overview of how players interact with advancement systems. In order to see how it impacts gameplay for specific games, I'm watching, recording, and annotating specific game sessions.

Bookkeeper

First Post
Thanks for the comment!

Call of Cthulhu is, in fact, one of the games I'm studying in more detail. Since the survey is more geared toward player interaction with the XP system, I did try to keep it as generic as I could, since narrowing it just to the games I'm focusing on for further study could exclude interesting answers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads