• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Buyer's remorse (Spycraft 2.0)!

Shadowrun 4e or Spycraft 2.0?

• Shadowrun 4e

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Spycraft 2.0

Votes: 37 56.9%

• Poll closed .

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
TheAuldGrump said:
my previous experiences with Shadowrun do not endear me to the system. (The setting is okay,and I considered converting it to D20 Modern, but I pure hated the system.)

Note that the new edition has an entirely different system. It is to Shadowrun 1e, 2e, and 3e what D&D 3x is to AD&D 1e & 2e.

remial

First Post
jdrakeh said:
This may well be true - I'm merely impatient ;)

do what I did, go to walmart.com and buy them there. I paid 40% off on both books.

granted there isn't a gaming store within an hours drive of where I live, but still, it was easier (and faster) then ordering them through barnes and Noble.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
remial said:
do what I did, go to walmart.com and buy them there. I paid 40% off on both books.

Sadly, I can no longer purchase things online due to my present financial situation.

Henry

Autoexreginated
If you are not an inveterate d20 tinkerer, then Spycraft may not be for you. It's very cool, don't mistake me, but if you want setting and rules, and you want something that moves smoothly and quickly, Shadowrun 4e may be worthwhile. Reduction of everything down to successes, rather than successes and target numbers, doesn't sit well with a lot of the fans, but it does look like it makes things smoother. I've had the PDF since early this month (I got curious), and the rules mechanics seem to read smoother (though I haven't gotten to rigging and decking yet).

Spycraft, awesome book, but a few of the extras in combat strike me as a bit overworked. Phil Reed may love having two conditions for being laid flat, but in practice it strikes me as having a lot more conditions to worry about than the 15 or so I already know (sickened, nauseated, stunned, prone, dazed, etc. etc. etc. and now sprawled, plus a couple more? Ungh!) I love the dramatic conflicts though.

GlassJaw

Hero
Spycraft 2.0 rocks.

I'm not 100% sold on SR4 yet though. I played a lot of 3ed and while it had its share of problems, it was a great system. I like the fixed target numbers and some other mechanics of SR4 but there is something bothering me about the overall feel and design philosophy of the book that I can't put my finger on. :\

Black Pharaoh

First Post
Spycraft 2 has so much information in that book it will take you a long time to digest it all. IT is an awesome product. Shadowrun 4 is a pretty good game. Many of the problems with the previous systems have been addressed but there are still a lot of things wrong with the system (riggers being one of the prime examples).

I am a firm believer that if any game should have converted to D20 it should have been shadowrun. It is basically DnD with guns anyway. Shadowrun D20 could have been the killer ap. that made D20 modern very successful.

GlassJaw

Hero
Black Pharaoh said:
I am a firm believer that if any game should have converted to D20 it should have been shadowrun. It is basically DnD with guns anyway. Shadowrun D20 could have been the killer ap. that made D20 modern very successful.

And I'm glad it never happened. d20 does automatic weapons so poorly, it would have done Shadowrun a disservice. It would be very difficult to translate the SR magic system to d20 as well (which is one of the major strengths of SR).

Psion

Adventurer
Well, you know what's right for your style, but I personally find SC 2.0 so flexible and robust, I could see it filling my modern gaming needs for some time.

Psion

Adventurer
GlassJaw said:
d20 does automatic weapons so poorly, it would have done Shadowrun a disservice.

I think it's more accurate to say D20 Modern does automatic weapons so poorly...

There have been d20 implementations before and since that do automatic weapons better. In fact, I can't think of a d20 autofire implementation WORSE that d20 modern...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads