• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Buying Eberron in Brisbane Australia

Jakar

First Post
Hi there.

I went into Brisbane to buy the new Eberron book today and went to my local store, Daily Planet, to pick it up. They have a pretty good range and I usually buy my stuff there.

I looked at the price and it blew me away. $79.95 Australian!!! The Ausie $ is running at 70c to the US$ at the moment. So I put it back and thought to myself it would be cheaper to buy from the States. There is no way they can justify asking that much for it.

I then, just for the hell of, it popped into Ace Comics and games on the Mall. Normally I do not go there because going up 6 flights of stairs is a pain in the butt, but they had it for only $54.95 Australian.

Guess where I bought it.

Damn buying from Daily Planet any more. They have lost my gaming budget.

Just thought I would vent a little sorry guys.

Last edited:

saankiip

First Post
Jakar, I am in Adelaide and I used to live in Brisbane. I know your heartache, but I buy 90% of my role-playing stuff from the States (usually through Amazon.com or eBay.com). Even with delivery, it works out cheaper most of the time, especially if you buy 2 or 3 things at once.

Australian get shafted this way not only with books but with most things. Buy online, and the brick and mortal stores will eventually realise that they can't keep ripping off the consumer!

That was my vent. ;)

SaanKiip

Capellan

Explorer
saankiip said:
Buy online, and the brick and mortal stores will eventually realise that they can't keep ripping off the consumer!

While Daily Planet are unashamed price-gougers, I think it is a bit harsh to characterise stores that sell at 1.3-1.5 times US cover price (ie US $40 becomes AU$52-60) as 'ripping off' the consumer. In Brisbane, 'Ace Comics and Games' (in the city) and 'Fast Break' (in Nundah) sell at these kind of rates.

Brick & Mortar stores have overheads that online distributors don't have to deal with. What you get in exchange is the opportunity to browse their stock and take a look at a book before buying it (unless they shrinkwrap their stuff, in which case, they're just hurting themselves).

And if you are going to buy online, there are much better alternatives than Amazon. FRPgames.com comes to mind, or there is always the ENworld store :)

Jakar

First Post
I have not heard of Fast Break. Are they where the Hit Point used to be?

If I buy from overseas, which I do fairly regularly, I go to www.nobleknight.com They have good prices, their shipping is cheap and it gets here in a week.

Bad service and price gouging are not a way to keep my business sorry Daily Planet.

Maxboy

Explorer
thats weird i have been buying stuff off them for 20 years and never once had a bad experience

Oh well they are still the cheapest

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads