• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Buying magic items: How do PCs know what's for sale?

Mistah J

First Post
Firstly, I'm going to explain that I really like the idea Pathfinder came up with for buying and selling magic items in a community. It is a really neat alternative to the "MAGI-MART" system that developed beforehand.

However, I am curious as to how other DMs let the players know what kind of magic items are available in a given population. As an example, let's say that in Town X - the dice indicate that there is a +4 longsword. Something well above Town X's 4,000gp limit.

So how do you communicate this to the players? Is it just mounted above the counter at the wizard's store? Is there a barker on the street offering it to those passing by? Do the PCs have to investigate or ask around town -possibly rolling to Gather Information... and so on.

What if the town also had a staff of power? Would you put them together or would the PCs have to track them down separately?

Thanks for your insight

Xendria

First Post
I personally have a separate chart I use that I made to dictate where they found it. Such as a 14-20 is a dark figure in a near by ally waving the party closer as he procures the item from beneath his dark cloak.

I also go by whatever fits the story. In one city there is a rather reckless wizard the party became friends with who often sends his familiar to tell the party what's for sale when they enter town. He also barters for other magical items, creating a barter and trade atmosphere.

Once in a great while I use the item to issue a small quest. A recent example is that the party entered a town and I rolled up a Helm of Brilliance. The party found out because they saw a wanted poster for a recent burglar, and after investigating they found out that the burglar had actually stolen the items as well as multiple others. The party is on their way to stop him and they will receive the helm as a reward.

Hope this helps!

ruemere

Adventurer
In other words, how would community members go about selling expensive items? I.e. how to advertise sale information without risking being robbed.

I believe it is an in-game issue. In order to come up with a solution, you would need to know more about the community.

As an example, let's say there is this ancestral sword over a fireplace in mayor's house. The sword would make for a fine payment as current mayor is not into martial ways, however you would need to communicate sale opportunity to a trustworthy middleman - maybe travel to a larger city? Contact a retired adventurer in order to get him to sell it for you?

Something like this.

Regards,
Ruemere

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads